STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I said it before, but I love the new warp core.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

All of us are products of our upbringings. Since this Kirk had a very different upbringing, he will have different attitudes.

So what?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the magic glass in the brig! The resizable/repositionable hole was very cool.

The endless levels corridors below the dome was either at the top of the neck or the dome on top of the saucer. it was cool. As were the new displays along the corridors.

The new warp core was nice. It looked like real machinery and not a blue lava lamp. And so big you could climb up inside it! Nice to see some big important-looking control panels outside.

The enormous shuttlebay got a slightly new look and a giant crane to move the parked shuttles between levels (and some idiots still blindly insist this Enterprise is no bigger than the old!:rommie:)

It looked great.

4. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New warp core was amazing. Looked so deliberately NASA esque. Just looked, awesome. And the reactor chamber was even more awesome. Just looked 'real' compared to previous iterations.

Also, I still have no problem with a brewery doubling for a collosal engineering department. May even be starting to like it better. :wtf:

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

That's interesting, as I had more or less the same experience. I loved the first 15 minutes with the mission on Nibiru, the volcano, the Enterprise rising out of the water, then BOOM!!! the title card! Brilliant stuff there!

Most of what came after that was fine with me. I didn't buy that Kirk was being demoted from Captain of the ship to First Officer back to Captain in what seemed like five minutes, but I could live with that. Harrison beaming from Earth to frickin' Kronos was harder to swallow, but I thought, come on, don't get hung up on such technical shit. Seeing the uber-secret Vengeance from the trailer in Marcus' office? Okay, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I can swallow that. The Enterprise zapping from one part of the galaxy to another? Well, okay, this new universe seems to be pretty small, I thought. Spock and Uhura – two high-ranking, supposedly professional officers of the Federation flagship – quarreling like teenagers on their most important mission yet in front of their captain? I'm beginning to wonder if this is the kind of Star Trek I really want to see. If these are really the characters I love and care about.

And then the pivotal moment; at least for me: Harrison reveals himself to be Khan. I remember thinking, that I have no problem whatsoever with them reinterpreting Khan. But at the same time I felt, that this had no punch, no gravitas, no meaning. At all. I kept asking myself, why it had to be Khan. I kept wondering if people in the audience weren't asking themselves right now, what the significance of his backstory – being a genetically engineered man from 300 years ago – was.

This was the moment when I seemed to give up on the movie. The rest – the whole "homage" to TWOK and the horrible KHAAAAAAN!!!11!!1 – felt just like the confirmation of what I had already formed in my mind at that time: I wasn't going to like this movie.

Sadly. :(

6. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Liked the shuttle bay changes. The support girders got moved a bit, maybe due to fanboy 'disgruntlement' or just to 'shut them the fuck up'

Can't figure out how far down and up the column intersection goes. Doesn't bother me, i liked it. Made the ship interior more spacious and an interesting addition. Gave a sense of scale inside.

And if I'm honest, I prefer the new warp core over the 'lava lamp' trek staple.

Also have to mention the awesome title card, Nibiru sand image fading into real Enterprise was so classic looking. Loved it. And the new warp contrails were so cool, almost reminiscent of TOS movie warp effect.

7. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am so angry with them. First I did not want to go at all... but my dad forced me. We went to see TREK since I was a kid in 1991. I was visiting them and he got the tickets already.

Well, I had no expectations... and surprise... when the film started, and continued I really kind of... well liked it. I was about to forgive that nonsense with the ship under water, or the stupidity of Starfleet officers in this reality after the really well acted and directed London part, and especially after Pike's lesson to Kirk... until half way through I thought... well, seems everyone deserves a second chance. The nods to DS9 and ENT... awesome... I was starting to like what I saw. Good music, a great improve in camera and cinematography over 09 (seems they cured the cameramans Parkinson for this film). Superb sets, and set design. I liked the locations on Earth, Nimburu looked awesome, Heck... Kronos looked great. Cool Klingon design... and that was where the film went downhill for me completely... and lost me there. I guess if I rewatch the film, I will simply eject the Blu Ray right at the scene, where they fight the Klingons... the rest was a really poor copy of TWOK and "Paradise lost". Damn... I hated it.

I hope they get new authors for the next part. I got used to the new crew, I got used to the new styles, hell... even uglyprise grew on me... JJ direction is okay with me... you get used to it... but now... please... get writers who work creativly...

Such a lost opportunity.

8. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved that moment when (as the ships gravity was failing) we get a glimpse of some shuttles, lined up in the bay, lurching forward and falling off towards the bottom left of the camera shot... that looked awesome!

:) Loving the Enterprise's shuttles design as well!

Also - I would quite like to see a diecast model of this particular shuttle (looked like it had slightly different stylings, ever so subtle engine stuts angled slightly back...).

9. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with everything you say, albeit I still enjoyed the movie.

I think you probably forgot the bit where the ENSIGN with roughly 1 year's experience AS A NAVIGATOR was promoted to CHIEF engineer because he'd been shadowing Mr Scott instead of, perhaps, one of the qualified ASSISTANT CHIEF ENGINEERS that a starship with 400+ crew should have on board. I'm fine with Chekov being transferred since this version appears to be trained as a technician rather than a scientist, I'd be fine with him being the character who liaises with the bridge to give him something to do - but putting him in charge when he's an inexperienced ensign? It makes Kirk look like a terrible administrator who is happy to put the ship at risk on a whim - which in fairness is all true I suppose.

I agree with what you say about the Spock Uhura scene, which comes on top of the transporter scene in the last movie. Uhura criticises Spock for not thinking about her before he takes a risk - er... that's exactly what he's supposed to do sweetie - in fact, if he put your feelings before his duty, he would never qualify as a commander, and logic would dictate that he'd have to resign his commission on a starship to take a desk job. The scene was a text-book scenario about why lovers should not serve on the same ship. A real misfire.

A big plus for taking Uhura on the mission though. She should have gone on the mission in the last move too, since she was fluent in Romulan rather than just rusty in Klingon.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

nuUhura is extremely ugly inside. It's all about her, her, her.

11. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She'd be too busy thinking about Spock to irradiate herself and save the ship. Selfish cow.

12. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm... been thinking about the crashed USS Vengeance.

For me, it wasn't an issue that the dreadnaught didn't disintegrate when it struck San Francisco - it suggests that the starship is indeed an extremely robust new class of ship - and it got me thinking, that we may indeed see it resurface again in the next movie (particularily if a Klingon war erupts, and conflict escalates...)

I love that it represents Starfleet's more insidious, convert, militaristic streak (essentially Admiral Marcus' dirty and not-so-little secret).

Wouldn't mind seeing it in action again, if that ever transpires...

13. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh lordie, that's right. Yes, I remember thinking 'Hold on, skeleton crew? No... full crew. Wait. what?'

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the new Starfleet, ladies and gentledudes. Cadets become Captains, and navigator ensigns become chief engineers.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm waiting for kirk55555 and Mr_Homn to post their reviews since they've both seen it and rated it an 'F'.

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

So that article is basically saying that the non-stop action and the reduction in "Trekkiness" (I haven't seen the movie, so this is hearsay) is because of the studio listening to audience gripes about Trek in global market polls and wanting TDK numbers for this movie?

Seriously, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. :wtf:

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sweating those... but then again I'm not reading any spoiler reviews... and yes I'm on this thread but I've got one eye squeezed shut while I navigate it :lol:

Besides, they already gave the thing an "F". What more do you wanna know from them?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just curiosity getting the better of me. :rofl:

19. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

You know damn well they won't, and even if they do, it'll be like working on a ranch: bullshit, more shit, piled high and deep.

20. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes. They want to make a movie that people will actually like and will justify them spending $10.00 on a ticket, unlike the old guard.