More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they should just concentrate on Star Tours. Now that Disney owns the franchise, the sky is the limit.

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Disney says it can't confirm if the 'Big Three' as they're now being called will be involved.

I read that as it won't confirm. At this point they have to know what characters are being featured in a screenplay that's probably halfway through the polishing stage by now.

3. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

They probably want to make a huge event from the announcement. The press will be insane when all 3 show up on a stage together.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, amazing how much younger Ford looks in this shot from the Anchorman sequel. With the brown hair it's much easier to imagine him as Han again, versus the gray he's usually seen with.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61430

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harrison Ford virtually confirms the trio is in the film:

CNN

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Harrison has tended to treat Han Solo the way Shatner used to look at Trek and his involvement in that franchise. I know Han isn't the deepest, meatiest and most three-dimensional character for an actor to tackle, but it made him a superstar and launched his movie career. Running from him is just silly.

I'm sure he gets just as much if not more attention for playing Indiana Jones after all these years, so he should just embrace Han Solo for what he was/is and be happy for the gigantic boost that the role gave his career at a very fortuitous moment in Hollywood history. He was never meant to be the most textured and challenging role in the Original Trilogy because the main focus was on Mark Hamill and Darth Vader and the films were supposed to be about the Skywalkers, not Han. I hope his involvement in Episode VII makes him at least a little more open to discussing the films and not acting as though they're some embarrassing skin flick he did back in school.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I get the sense his problem is less with Han and more with all the silly scifi aliens and simplistic, kid-friendly tone of it all.

That kind of thing just doesn't interest or appeal to him on any level. And even back then, you see him being vaguely embarassed by the whole thing in interviews.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I have a hunch they are waiting to May 25th for the big announcement of Hamill, Ford, and Fisher returning in Episode VII. Why? It will be the 30th Anniversary of RETURN OF THE JEDI.

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

And of course Abrams will be done with the latest Trek film - it will be out - and hopefully very successful which will add to the excitement of any such announcement.

10. Dick Whitman

Exactly! You saved me the time to add that. :bolian: Its the perfect timing for Disney to make their big splashy announcement. Its all but confirmed at this point. So there is no point in rushing an offical release, they might as well do it with style.

11. cooleddie74

I hope the 30th anniversary of JEDI contains such an announcement. This has been the quietest anniversary year for the franchise in ages, at least when it comes to merchandising and collectibles related to the Lucas universe. Hasbro and many other manufacturers have no announced plans to recognize the anniversary of JEDI with any new and special releases (unlike the 20th, 25th and 30th anniversaries of the other two films in the Original Trilogy), so it'd be very nice indeed if Disney and Lucasfilm took advantage of the date and made some grand press announcement about Episode VII and the cast.

Do something Star Wars related, even if it doesn't have much if anything to do with JEDI.

12. Dick Whitman

Really it does have to do with JEDI. Its picks up the story after it. Plus it show the significance of them playing the characters for the first time in 30 years.

13. cooleddie74

Well, yeah, obviously. I just meant if they don't want to verbally acknowledge the anniversary by mentioning JEDI during any press announcement about the new film. Chances are they would though. Far too many fans know the original release date of Episode VI back in 1983 and realize the significance of May 25th for both JEDI and the original movie.

14. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The only bit of merchandise coming out (that I'm aware of) to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Return of the Jedi is the Making of ROTJ book by J.W. Rinzler later this year. If it's anything like the ones for ANH and Empire, it's going to be a must-read.

15. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Well if they only do come out with one thing, that would by far be my first choice.

16. Deimos Anomaly

Deimos Anomaly Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

PLEEEASE let Thrawn appear, and play a significant role!

Probably a vain hope, but there it is.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thrawn can appear, if Han Solo can just gun him down out of the blue while he's delivering a monologue, about art or something. Sorta like the Star Wars version of the scene in Raiders when Indiana shoots the swordsman with the revolver. :devil:

It would make up for the Greedo debacle.

18. Dick Whitman

Same with me. I love the his books for ANH and ESB. Plus I was 5 years old when JEDI came out. Its the first movie I remember seeing in the theater. All my school supplies for knidergarten where for the movie. So its always been the one i have the most affection for.

19. cooleddie74

Throw in a few EU characters. Some of them are very interesting and fun, Thrawn in particular. If there's one villain from the post-Jedi novels I don't mind assuming a major role in the new Trilogy it's Thrawn, but rest assured that if he appears the continuity will go a lot differently from what we're familiar with in the Zahn books.

And I'm cool with that.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pound of nerd flesh I want is actual B-wing scenes, depicting counter-rotating cockpits and alien pilots with funky flight suits.

And hell, if we're going to have Thrawn, let's also see some Imperial Missile Boats while we're at it. In Tie Fighter, given just one of those with a reload tender and stand-off opportunity, any and all opposing units were utterly toast.

:p