I need some calculus help.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MIB, Aug 26, 2009.

1. MIB

MIB Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After spending a good hour and a half on some homework there is still one lingering question that keeps thwarting my attempts to answer. (Or, more accurately, my answers aren't being accepted by the math study program I'm using.) If anyone can point me in the right direction with this one, I'd greatly appreciate it. The problem reads as follows:

The hell of it is that the question after this one is very similar and I answered it just fine without resorting to asking for help. :confused:

2. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not really sure what I can write here that isn't pretty much the answer already.

Velocity is the first derivative of position is what ...
    ... is saying.

Point being, I don't really understand your problem with this if you don't explain a bit.

3. think

think About it! Premium Member

negative (nine times 16) 16X9=acceleration going to say 16X3=velocity just because LOL you need velocity right feet per sec not feet per sec squared

? Don't make me get the physics book for some formula I have intensionally forgotten. ;)

4. Rocketman

Rocketman Guest

It may be easier to understand if you try plugging in values for a and t that are both very close to three.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Don't they teach equations such as "v = u + a.t" and the Metric system any more?

Anyway, plugging in the values gives s(3) = 606 ft, and so (606 - 750)/(3 - 0) = -48 ft/s is your answer. Just that v = 0 - 16.3 = -48 ft/s seems a lot more direct way of getting to it.

Might not stop your Polar Explorer crashing into Mars, 'though.

6. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the average speed over the first three seconds, not the velocity after three seconds.

v(t) = ds(t) / dt = -32t

The velocity after three seconds is v(3) = -96.

Don't they teach s(t) = 1/2 * a * t² + v0 * t + h anymore? :p

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Lol. I won't be sending any probes to Mars.

8. MIB

MIB Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I appreciate the help, guys. However, I was actually able to solve this one afterall. Which, in turn, underlined how important sleep is. I sat and stared at this problem for 30 minutes while I was dead tired (big mistake). Finally, I went to bed and after getting some sleep I was able to solve it with no problem within 30 seconds. :lol:

Again though, I do appreciate your help. The Mars probes no doubt appreciate it as well. :p

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

This is good advice for life in general. If something's stumping you, walk away from it for a while. Get something to eat. Get some rest. Do something fun. Do anything but think directly about the problem. You'd be surprised how often something just pops into your head and you realize you know what to do now.

I have a whole list of "oblique strategies" for this very purpose.

10. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Indeed! I concur wholeheartedly! -very good advice :bolian:

11. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this solution.

s(t) = 1/2*at^2 + V0*t + h. In other words s(t)=h.

Velocity is the rate at which the position is changing. So, take the derivative with respect to time.

v(t) = ds/dt = at = -32t

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity is changing. So if you ever have to find that, take the derivative of v(t).

a(t) = d^2s/dt^2 = dv/dt = a = -32 ft/s^2, which is the actual rate of acceleration at the Earth's surface.