'Always Possibilities' Regarding ST:TE closure speech

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Cmndr J Crichton, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

For those who watched the final curtain of The Experience online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISn3S8K8fA&feature=related The speeker says a line that Spock and Kirk used as a metaphor for 'rebirth' in The Wrath of Kahn and Search for Spock.

I know I'm just being wishful, or even hopeful, but a new major movie is on the horizon. What if this isn't a closure of Star Trek The Experience, but a refit to tie into the new movie. and new re-vitalization of the Trek universe?

Now it could be in a new venue, but the speech did lead to some very interesting speculating. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if in wihin 9 or 10 months we hear an announcement of The Return of Star Trek the Experience. This time, it has it's own hotel, Paramount/CBS owned, and a permanant residance on The Vegas Strip.

The closing ceremony was nothing short of spectacular. As always, The Experience lives up to their reputaion. When the DS9 music crescendos as the curtain falls, it's very moving. Sort of saying goodbye to the old way of how we think of Trek, and looking foward to the new vision.

Still, I have a feeling there was something more in that speech than simply quoting a line from a movie. A line that just happens to take the place of rebirth.

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

If by "Rebirth" you mean "New Michael Jackson Themed Theatre" then you're right and they're getting right on it.

3. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

That's never been officially annaounced has it? Would people actually go to that thing?

4. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

That's the word around the Hilton. It's be a great place to bring the kids!

5. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I am sure they'd give great rates to Catholic priests!

6. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

They get in free. They always lose their shirts "gambling.";)

7. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"THe Michael Jackson Experience" is just an unlikely rumor at this point. The Hilton hasn't outright denied it but it also says that it is unlikely. In actual fact, there is nothing in the works to immediately replace STTE. For at least a year there will simply be a big hole (or perhaps some beginning construction on whatever will take its place) where STTE used to be. I'm also speaking metaphorically.

What I do know is that for the week leading up to the closing, the current GM of The Fremont Street Experience (and former GM of STTE) and several former STTE engineering personel were onhand to look into the possibility of relocating at least part of The Experience to the troubled downtown Neonopolis property. Nothing has been decided and as far as I know there have been no formal negotiations started.

This may have been what Mr. Boutte was alluding to.

8. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, as a Catholic priest who has been to the Experience many times, I mourn its loss but regret that I can't even come here without being insulted.
    As one who has worked hard these past few years to try and rebuild the shattered trust of those who expect their priests to be good men, I find the sick, perverted actions of a relativley small number of men to be anything but funny and the inference that we are all the same as them to be frankly disgusting.

9. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Whether there is ever another Star Trek-themed attraction of that scope and scale or not, it will never be Star Trek: The Experience. That wasn't about rides or architecture or even that amazing bar... it was the people who made that place special. Nothing that replaces it could ever be quite the same.

It may rise again with another name and a modernized, JJ Abrams-inspired theme. It may have kick-ass rides featuring the very latest technologies, it may have a themed bar and restaurant, and it may have an amazing troupe of performers... but that group of people in that particular environment was something special,and I am unsure whether their particular brand of magic could ever be captured again.

That said... if the folks down on Fremont Street want to relocate and reopen Quark's, I'll sure as hell show up!

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Well said. You never know though, sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Save me a seat. :)

11. kevjulian

kevjulian Lieutenant Red Shirt

Dale may be right but if there is ever another Quarks, I will be there. I will give what ever Star Trek Theme attraction they come up with a chance to live up to the Experience or make its own place in the Star Trek universe. I wait in anticipation of a Warp Core Breach.

Kev

12. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I've no doubt that "The Experience" will be back, but I doubt that it'll be in Vegas. I'm betting on King's Island, or one of Paramount's other themepark locations.

13. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I, for one, am glad you had the courage to stand up for yourself. I'm sorry I didn't have the time to answer this post sooner, but I've got your back.

14. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll take that bet. Paramount Parks is no longer owned by Viacom. They sold the parks to Cedar Fair about 4 years ago. Cedar Fair actually licenses the name "Paramount" from Paramount. Rumor has it that both Paramount and CBS are not happy with how the parks have been managed and may revoke all their licenses, including Star Trek, soon.

We'll see.

15. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really appreciate that. Thanks very much.:techman:

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Stay on topic, everyone :)

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If/when the movie is a big hit, who knows where it might lead. Something like ST:TE could emerge at a location, possibly in Las Vegas, not necessarily where the original was.

And Michael Jackson really is that big a draw anymore? Yeesh. It's not like the guy is Elvis.

18. explodingmuffin

explodingmuffin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am quite sure that, if the movie does well, something else will pop up eventually. We'll probably have to wait for our economy to straighten out first, though.

I really, really hope that they don't put Michael Jackson there. The last thing I need is for him to be living here. Ugh.

19. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our best bet is to actively look for it NOT to be a replacement for ST:TE. I've found that the best way to enjoy these types of "new versions" is to appreciate it on its own merrits, and realize that - bitter as it may taste - those things we love and miss are just gone for good: a fond part of our dearest memories.

20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Agreed. Even if another attraction is opened it will be different than the original; not necessarily better or worse, just different