Glee - Season Four

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by mswood, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, that sounds closer to the truth.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I like NuQuinn, and I can't stand lead Grease guy. Really, him? Him and Chord Overstreet both need to go. Tough dude and generic pretty girl are both okay so far. I like the Unique storyline and I want to see more of Rachael, Kurt and Blaine. Finn is pretty blah but he's better than a highly inappropriate teacher so that storyline is pretty good. I like the backpacking bit.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My balls don't lust after or respect any of the new boys and girls.

Do they have a new casting service/agent since season one?

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sue stormed out of Figgins' office, grabbed a kid's glasses off his face and threw them, and him, around, pushed other students including pushing one off the stairs, etc etc.

This issue bothers me...there would have to be some kids who don't like Sue and would file charges for assault and battery. And then sue. No pun intended. But she's allowed to physically assault students? Her verbal assaults are bad enough. And nuQuinn? I thought most schools now have some kind of no-bullying policy. I notice that, unlike Quinn and her Brittney/Santana entourage, nuQuinn is by herself.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

With shows like this i've long stopped putting reality demands on them or else i'd be only counting the mistakes and don't have time to actually enjoy the episode.

Glee, much like most other shows, bend and break reality to suit their needs.. in this case to get some comedy moments out of a scene. Glee is about teenager drama and music.. that's it.

Best not to think too hard about it.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Grease Lead is the guy who won the Glee Project, right?

7. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I was thinking. Which is a big change from Irish-boy. And while "Unique" did not win the competition, s/he won the war and is part of the cast.

8. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Is that it? I've never watched that but I guess it would explain it.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

While Blake proved himself to be a well rounder performer, I thought he was a safe choice. I was pulling for Alyin.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the most fun I've had watching Glee in a long long time. That felt like Season 1 glee, even going back to the red shirts and jeans for the "Don't Stop Believin'" days. Yeah it was a little nerdy, but in the end it really worked for me, especially getting to know the new characters and the sensitivity with Ryders storyline. I'm not sure if this is Glee turning the corner, but the last time I had this kind of reaction was Season 1 and this one felt like an episode that would have worked really well in Glee's hayday. Looking forward to next week and of course it wouldn't be Glee without "Gangam Style".

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  11. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I'm sick of Sue, she's mad at Finn for calling her daughter a retard when she says the cruelest things all the time. She's worried because Wade was attacked in the hallway but in the same episode she stormed out of Figgins' office attacking several students.:rolleyes:

Get rid of McKinley and new Directions, make the show about Kurt and Rachel in New York, move Santana there and keep Finn, Blaine and Brittany as recurring characters, everyone else needs to go.

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

That was really cool, loved Dr Y and Sam's Bane impression.

13. trekkiebaggio

Guess the discussion for Glee is dying huh?

I knew I was going to like this episode as soon as Quinn AND Santana appeared :drool:

I liked the mentor concept, and I found it amusing how nuQuinn was so obsessed with Quinn. 'WWQFD?' lol. It disappointed me a bit that Quinn had a go at Jake without actually trying to hear his side of the story. I also liked the little discussion she and Santana had.

This was an episode where liked the meat of the episode rather than the songs. The Warblers still don't do much for me, all of their songs are beginning to sound the same. The party song didn't do much for me either.

I also liked Brody calling out Rachel's behaviour.

I like what they're doing with Marley. Rachel always seemed to thrive on the pressure of being the star but Marley is having a hard time handling it. I'm glad the 'new Rachel' isn't a carbon copy. The ending wasn't a surprise but I'm glad they're dealing with it now rather than dragging it out. I hope it doesn't cost them Sectionals!

14. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching "Thanksgiving" now and two thoughts struck me: First, you're right, the mentor thing was great. I've been annoyed at how they were using the original cast members. It seemed they didn't want to overuse them, so they opted for under-using them. They steal the show every time they appear. They worked really well in this episode, adding to the plot and not stealing the spotlight. I loved how Santana caught onto "Pretty Little Liar" right away.

Kurt and Rachel are really dragging the show down. I'm not a Sara Jessica Parker fan and her part didn't help. I've never really formed an opinion on Kate Hudson, though I do have to say, Cassandra July is the best part about the Kurt/Rachel storyline. As for them, they either get them a spin-off (so I can ignore it! ;)) or dump them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  15. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Agree totally. I'm so tired of Rachel's miss priss she's too good for visiting Lima act. Kurt would likely have to face Finn if he'd gone home for Thanksgiving, but both could have avoided the McKinley crew if they'd wanted while still being in Lima. Their friends would have liked to have seen them, and the reunion felt incomplete. This should have been the episode they return from New York, not the 'Glease' episode. Drop the New York storyline or give it it's own series...I hear there's room in the schedule where Mob Doctor used to be.

Also...wasn't Rachel the one that was 'traumatized' by being pelted by eggs in season one because they were baby birds and now she's willing to...massage...a turkey? Doesn't line up with her previous ultra-vegan attitude.

I'm so tired of the New York storyline...or tired of Lea Michele, I don't know, but between the stupid "Kiki" party thing and Gangnam style I'm not really happy with either aspect of the show. Maybe I'm finally 'out-growing' it, or it's just gotten that bad.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel if they dumped the NY aspect, I could really enjoy the show more. The Super-Hero episode, while cheesy (and stupid, because I doubt they'll ever show them in costume again) was my favorite of the new season and I realized why...no NY plot, no Ms. July, no SJP, no Kurt, no Brody, no Isabelle...none of that. I also realized that Will was missing and that I didn't miss him one bit. I'm fine with Finn being the new Mr. Shu, as Will really has gotten on my nerves. It also lacked Sue, and again, I didn't mind that. I kind of feel that Sue has been played out. They kept going over-the-top with her (running for senator, for example) and I don't know where else they could go with her, though the recent feud between her and Finn did bring some life back to her character.

What we did get was Blaine being awesome, again, FINALLY, and the rest of the cast really shinning. I like the developing friendship between Jake and Ryder. While I hate Kitty, I do think her manipulation of Marley is an interesting plot line, as it has served to really get me to hate her. I think they realized that they totally messed-up Quinn's character, as they were never sure if they should make her sweet, manipulative, confused, angry, bitchy, or whatever else they felt like trying that week. Keeping Kitty purely evil is a good step. Knowing the show, they can always redeem her later on.

I hated "Kiki" from the get-go and went so far as to Google it, so I knew where to direct my hatred. I softened when I found out it was a Scissor Sisters song, as I liked some of their previous songs and it made sense, since they came from the NYC gay club scene. I may not love the song, but given the context, I hate the song less, and the use of it in the show more.

As for Gangnam Style, I am an unabashed lover of the song. It makes perfect sense that New Directions would use it and I think it is a brilliant move for Sectionals. It really showed off New Directions in a way that the Warblers could never compete with. They have the Acapella bit down, but they lack the ability to go all out on numbers. And the crowd seemed to love it, which is a bonus.

The last two episodes have really turned things around for me. A few episodes, I was right there with you, but now I think there's something redeemable about the show, if they dump the NYC/Kurt/Rachel plot, find a way to keep the mentors around more, and continue to develop the new characters.

Part of the problem is that from what I understand, Ian Brennan, Brad Falchuk, and Ryan Murphy all take turns with the episodes and after a while, you can start to tell which one wrote which episode, without even seeing the names. Some episodes hit the drama bit a little too much, while others go for the cheese factor, and the last third of the episodes really hit the social issues hard. The show is best when it has a decent mix of the three. Too much of any of those three and too little of the other two make the show less entertaining.

17. tomalak301

I know we're not really talking about Glee anymore, but I was surprised when they did a mash-up of Danger Zone and Old Time Rock n Roll on this week's episode and it kind of worked for me. I did wish they didn't pick movies from before the 90s, but it wasn't bad. It's just when I think mash-up, Danger Zone and OTRNR don't really fit together that well.

Other than the Flashdance number being tacked on in the end, I liked this episode. It would have been even better had they ended it with Will walking away from Finn though.

18. trekkiebaggio

^Footloose, not Flashdance :)

I'm seriously loving Glee right now, and I found most of that episode hilarious. When Rachel's pregnancy was revealed at the end of the previous episode my eyes rolled but it was worth it for Santana's dvd choices :lol:

19. tomalak301

Ah, I got the two confused. I've not seen either, but considering how much I've heard, I think it is easy to get the two confused.

20. trekkiebaggio

I wouldn't say that, they're both quite different. I tend to prefer Footloose, but Flashdance has its moments.