Things you got "wrong"

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shat Happens, Nov 7, 2013.

1. picardo

picardo Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was under the impression that Klingons only ate with their bare hands, then in The Mind's Eye episode there's this Klingon ambassador who's using a fork (and his food isn't alive) he appears to be eating in a perfectly civilized manner.

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what exposure to the Federation does to you. :D

3. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

You're not alone!

When I first saw the trailers on the BBC for Deep Space Nine, I thought - given the spooky music - Odo was a villain.

And that the Enterprise-D had been turned into a space station.

Mind you, I was about eight.

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oooh, when Riker gorges on that Klingon feast in preparation for the Officer Exchange Program, I could have sworn that he was eating Korean food, including squid deep fried in batter. When Pulaski gave Riker and his table a look of disgust, I remember thinking, "What? What's the problem? It looks so good!"

Hungry little tyke that I was, of course.

Edit: Hah, after checking out the episode on Memory Alpha, the prop department indeed used Asian food. No wonder the kids on the playground thought I was weird! (but I bet Frakes thought it was SOOO GOOD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoOfjGqo5EY

5. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Thank you, that's been my interpretation for years, ever since I heard of the "offset" theory which made no sense at all.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except that wouldn't fit unless the Enterprise was bigger than all the behind the scenes books and manuals claim.

7. MarsWeeps

Yes but sometimes you have to turn a blind eye to things like that. For example, the exterior of the Galileo shuttlecraft was smaller than the interior. It's really obvious when you see the people standing in the interior and know that they should be hitting their heads if you compare it to the exterior. Or the rear compartment in the interior could not fit the exterior mockup.

So, like the Galileo discrepancy, I choose to ignore the idea of an offset bridge.

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as a sideways sliding turbolift on the bridge level, I don't believe the motion indicator ever show lateral movement when approaching or leaving the bridge. Unless it wasn't designed to do so.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

On a ship that has artificial gravity, inertial dampers, anti-acceleration forcefields, and on which the main bridge viewscreen is a monitor, not a window, requiring the bridge to face forward makes no sense at all!

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Okay, then. Trek geeks will be forever divided into "bridge faces forward" and "bridge is offset 36 degrees" camps. You go to your church and I'll go to mine.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  10. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since in reality the bridge sections are movable. Maybe in-universe, so are the bridge stations and viewscreen. Maybe some Captains don't want people entering the bridge directly behind him. The Reliant's lift was directly behind the Captain. If every section was movable and replaceable. It would make replacing all of those exploding bridge consoles easier.

11. MarsWeeps

I never said it was required, it just didn't make any sense to offset it 35 degrees, if only for aesthetic reasons.

Using your logic, why didn't they put the bridge on the bottom of the saucer and turn it upside down? It does have artificial gravity, blah, blah, blah! :p

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

We also saw, in the Enterprise Incident, about 20 vertical deck-lights go by on a trip from the bridge to deck TWO.
    It's a TV show.

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Well, logically, the bridge should be deep inside the ship where it has some protection from attack, not right on top of the saucer where it's exposed and vulnerable.

For that matter, assuming we have artificial gravity, it's unnecessary for spaceships to have parallel decks like oceangoing ships or buildings.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

On ANY vehicle ever made, having the control room angled to face 36° off the direction of travel makes no sense at all! Having the TOS Enterprise be the only vehicle in history to do so makes no sense at all! :)

Well, so far, that IS the case, so what the heck. :)

15. MarsWeeps

Pics? I'm not sure what you mean.

EDIT:

Ok, I see what you mean, I also had no idea it was only on one side. I'm wondering if that's some type of knob that allows removal of the Phaser 1 unit from the rest of the body?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  16. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's referring to the power pack release mechanism on the left side of the phaser, just behind the barrel assembly. It looks like a twist-type temperature control on a stove, except in miniature. Like most weaponry of its type, it's a right-handed only design.

17. MarsWeeps

I added a picture to my post, just before you posted this. :)

18. FormerLurker

So I see. As stated, the control you asked about is the release for the powerpack/grip assembly. The brass stem behind the phaser 1 on the left side is the phaser 1 release.

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Ironically, on the Playmates' TOS phaser toy, that control regulates the "beam" intensity (it really does work--the light-up emitter on the toy dims or brightens depending on the direction you turn it).
    :)

20. FormerLurker

You'd think they'd ask why the grooved barrel rotates. :p