Fairwell to Mayweather?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by T'Girl, Jan 4, 2010.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Horizon was a episode in the second season, a very Travis Mayweather centered episode. Travis takes advantage of the proximity of the Enterprise to the ship he grew up on, the E.C.S. Horizon, to pay a visit home. His father (the captain) died weeks earlier, Travis shows that he is a better commander than the new captain, his brother Paul.

In the episodes and seasons that followed this show Anthony Mongomery as Mayweather was increasing given less and less to do on the show, eventual becoming basically a background character with few, if any, lines. In a Mirror, Darkly was a isolated exception.

Should Travis have exited the show with the episode Horizon, left on a high note. Change the ending of the episode so that he resigns from star fleet, tearful goodbyes, becomes the captain of the family cargo ship?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Dunno about that.

3. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Star Trek has a history of changing up characters in the third season. Maybe he should have been killed by the Xindi and replaced by Sharan.

4. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Sounds good to me. :techman:

Seriously though, replacing Mayweather with Shran would have been an excellent change to the show. Shran was a much more interesting character.

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    While I do like Shran, I probably would have bad-mouthed the show a bit more if that happened...i.e. killing off Mayweather.

And people--like myself--probably would have wondered why they killed off the sole black-character...

And yes, to some it may not have been about race, and yes there are some who see racism in 'everything'....however, Trek doesn't have too many strong characters of color.

The question would have arose: Why does the black character always have to die?

I would even go so far to ask: Would Hoshi be kept to satisfy a fetish, or to be saved by one of the white male characters?:confused: (I'm just throwing those questions out there).

People don't realize that you have MANY people of different backgrounds watching Trek--a show that supposedly shows many different cultures coming together. Of course, now we're talking about murdering only black male--the only male-of-color--on the show...

As for Horizon, I am looking forward to seeing the episode once I get settled into my new place. I understand that is one of the three (?) Mayweather related episodes...

6. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

There was no need to kill him off --- they just had to give him a personality and some interesting stuff to do.

7. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

We're talking about transfering the character off the ship and making him the captain of his family's ship, not killing him off.

As for whether it would be racist or not.... The show would still have an asian and two aliens (three aliens if Shran came aboard).

8. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I think Travis should have been security chief (you ever seen that guy without a shirt? :drool:).

I think it's strange that in post-TOS Trek tactical officers doubled as security officers. There were a few times when Enterprise was under attack from outside the ship and inside. I would think the captain would want ranking officers dealing with both threats.

I always had a lot of trouble accepting skinny little Reed as security chief -- tactical officer, OK -- but not security chief. Case in point: I realize Reed is a main character and the writers can't undercut him by having him lose to Hayes, but I still found the outcome of that fight to be totally not credible.

I think it was stupid to put a regular character in the role of piloting the ship, especially since they didn't see fit to give him anything else to do. Yeah, I know they did it in TNG and VOY, but they also gave those characters other things to do. Geordi actually got promoted to chief engineer. Paris frequently piloted shuttles during missions and actually had a life off the bridge.

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Interesting thoughts...;)

I'm sorry, I must have been hit with a sudden reading disability while reading these posts about killing off the character;):

Too, Hoshi didn't do much, but she's Asian and she's female, so it is assumed that she is given leeway. (Hence the questioning: Would she--Hoshi--be left due to a fetish, or to be saved at some point?)

And, maybe Combs could get away with his blue skin, but Phlox would still look like a white guy with ridges and an interesting looking forehead....Blalock would look like a white woman with ears. If I'm not mistaken Tuvok is still referred to as 'the black Vulcan' by some people; so people do notice the ethnicities of the people portraying the characters...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Would you quit a job where you were getting a paycheck for essentially doing nothing? (I'm talking about Montgomery, not the character he played. And I'm sure by that time he didn't really give a crap where his character was going as long as he was getting paid.)

11. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I apologize -- I misread the initial post, thinking that the suggestion was that Travis should be killed off. However, my point remains the same --- there would be no need to kill him off, transfer him, etc. if he had been given something interesting to do!!

I agree that he would have made a good security chief. As another poster noted, Anthony Montgomery is one fine looking man -- some fights resulting in ripped shirts would have been entertaining!!

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Travis and am glad they didn't kill the character off in saeason3. Anthony has real Martial arts training in fact when it came to Harbinger the scenes with the martial arts with the Starfleet& Macos training he helped choragraphed theself defense training scenes, and the fight between Reed and hayes.I wish they'd done more with his character having more experience in space than the rest of the human Enterprise crew when it came to sveral different alien races.Like Vox sola where he got the information from the Kretassana about the alien that lifeform causing problems on enterprise and what planet it camef rom and the cultural misunderstandings between the human and Kretassan.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Hey, I didn't know that. Now I'm more convinced he should have been security chief!

14. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Careful, there.. You don't want Connor to get jealous!!

15. cooleddie74

Shran was supposed to become a regular or semi-regular had the show made it to a fifth season, but I don't think Travis would have had to been sacrificed so Jeffrey Combs would have a place on the show or ship. I think ADDING Shran might have made the peripheral, less developed lead characters like Travis more integral to the plot had Shran sought their advice and help on certain missions.

16. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

He knows I'm devoted. I flew to LA just to see him in "Equivocation."

17. cooleddie74

How good was he? I have never seen anything from that performance.

18. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

You don't visit the Connor thread, much do you? There are links to interviews with the cast and reviews. Every reviewer praised Connor's performance.

The first review starts here if you'd like to read about it:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3599163&postcount=720

19. NXOner

NXOner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hang on there, I think Tasha Yar is skinnier (just!)
    However, I agree that Anthony would have done a good job as security chief :techman:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  20. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Are you kidding? Tasha had 25 pounds on Reed.

I want a security chief who's so big and scary people drop to their knees the second he shows up (see: Worf).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010