tabletop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Obiwansolo18, May 2, 2013.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

The latest episode of the DLC podcast has Tom Vasel from The Dice Tower as a guest - great boardgame talk!

2. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I bought Pandemic a few weeks ago and have played a few games with various people. I like it a lot. I'm not used to playing a cooperative board game, though. It feels weird working together with the people you're playing with.

Small World is next on my shopping list. I've heard some good things about that one and it looks very involved. I picked up the box at the store and it was pretty heavy compared to other games.

I'm trying to start a weekly game night on the weekend. I would do it during the week, but I work evenings when everybody else I know is off work. I bought a cheap 48" round folding table to start things off with. If the game night takes off, I hope to upgrade to a nice wooden table. :)

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I picked up Munchkin: Pathfinder tonight. Looking forward to checking out the additions.

4. Unicron

I'm waiting on Ship Pack One for Eclipse and the most recent Cosmic Encounter expansion, Cosmic Storm.

5. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Cosmic Encounter seems like a fun game but I don't have enough people to play with regularly.

My friend finally remembered to order my delayed birthday present - the Fantastic Four expansion to Legendary, and the new Spider-Man expansion is out in America today so I'll be getting that as soon as it appears on our shores.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

You guys might be interested in this.

[​IMG]

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That does look awesome, but I'd love to see a video showing some more complex games or an RPG ported to the system. I wonder how it would handle something like Terra Mystica.

8. Robert Maxwell

It would probably be a poor fit for RPGs because those involve lots of talking and writing things down. I think this is better suited for games that rely almost entirely on the behavior of game pieces, e.g. tokens, boards, cards, etc. So, Settlers of Catan would be doable. A paper RPG like D&D, probably not.

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    We got it a game of Game Of Thrones last weekend.

10. trekkiebaggio

What did you think? I don't really like it that much, it feels so draining by the end of it I'm wiped.

11. Robert Maxwell

That honestly sounds like a perfect adaptation, then. :lol:

12. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only played it once, but it was incredible. It's basically Diplomacy in Westeros. Don't play with your Catan friends, but if you have a group of people who enjoy heavy strategy games you'll have a blast.

13. trekkiebaggio

It does actually do a good job of bringing the tone across, because you can make deals and completely backstab your allies.

I got the Fantastic Four expansion for Legendary yesterday and played a couple of games, got crushed by Galactus :(. The Spider-Man expansion is arriving Monday too.

14. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every time we play it seems I wind up as the Lanisters. I guess that means they are the good guys.

15. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Has anyone played "Memorial 44"? Hubby has found some positive reviews online, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

16. trekkiebaggio

No, I haven't played it. Haven't played any wargames actually.

17. Shanndee

Me either. Hubby watches a lot of World War II movies, so I get the feeling the game will make its way into our collection. I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it...but I'm certainly willing to give it a try.

18. trekkiebaggio

From what I've heard it seems to be on the lighter side of war games.

I ordered Star Trek Fleet Captains the other day. I can't wait for it to arrive. It's been described as "Star Trek in a box," and I watched a few video reviews and playthroughs and it seems so cool :D

19. Shanndee

Star Trek in a box? That sounds like quite a feat! Let us know how it is!

20. Unicron

I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before, given that it was released three years ago. :p But it looks interesting so I might check it out. I'm not sure I like the price, though ($60-70 on Amazon for the main game and the Romulan expansion is apparently not available).