japanese advances in space

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by varek, May 31, 2014.

1. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

In 2010, the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)'s space probe Hayabusa ("Peregrine Falcon") successfully collected samples from an asteroid, then parachuted back to Earth. It landed near the Australian space facility at Woomera, South Australia, via parachute on June 13.

I don't remember hearing much about this, in the US media. But, it is a significant technological stride forward!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayabusa

2. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

They are also working on aircraft that can fly in the upper atmosphere, using different kinds of power for propulsion, and a manta-looking craft that might be able to go between the ground and the space station.

http://global.jaxa.jp/projects/aero/sf/

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

4. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Japanese advances in space: "Hey, baby, let's float over to my cabin!"

5. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...you would be amazed at what the US media chooses and chooses not to cover...I am here in the UAE, and the Japanese probe got good coverage, because the Emirati (those who are citizens of the UAE) are getting ready to put up their second satellite...wonder if that got covered...many scientific and socio-political events here get lost in the noise of news, and editors have to make choices, I guess, but we can also choose to click those tabs and check out what is happening OUTside our neck of the woods...it can be enlightening and very interesting!...and, it matters more to us, no matter where we live, to know what is going on elsewhere, sure bet...

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They even made a movie about it.

7. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A mission of this caliber, even if it were conducted by NASA, wouldn't be noticed by most Americans. With all the probes flying around the system, it is mostly science geeks that pay any attention. I knew of this mission because I follow such news.

In a broader sense—worthy of an entire thread on its own—many people I know watch the local news (the latest fires, car crashes and fluff pieces) and consider themselves informed. Some of the more serious types watch the national propa- er, news that follows to feel on top of things.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Our news seems to be mostly permeated by racist basketball team owners, salted with the occasional political scandal and the ever-vascilating diameter of Kim Kardashian's posterior with Kanye's tongue surgically attached to it.

We don' need no stinkin' satellites!

9. JariM

JariM Lieutenant Red Shirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon_(rocket)

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Quick and dirty.