Ever like a show but...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by BruntFCA, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny you should mention that considering one of the names that keeps recurring in this thread. Watching the rest of Buffy might not be a bad idea. ;)

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    That show was Boston Legal. Both The Practice and BL are shows I love, but Ally just kills that show for me. It would have been great without her.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the dancing baby killed it for me.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably, but life's too short. ;)

5. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't stand Kira on DS9, she's just angry.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good thing she wasn't the main character of the show, then.

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

david tennant's doctor.

8. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Smallville. I thought Clark Kent was an asshole for most of the series. Ironically, he was the most fun when he was under the influence of Red Kryptonite.... the stuff that's supposed to turn do-gooder Clark into, you guessed it, an asshole. At least then he was always honest.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Count me in for Archer too. It's a shame because I was a big QL fan and I always liked Bakula, and when I heard he was going to be Archer I was really thrilled...then I saw the show and realised that he was horribly miscast, he's just not Captain material. They should have cast Trineer as Archer IMO.

10. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CHiPs, couldn't stand Ponch.

11. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She was one of the main characters. No need to get arsey.

12. the G-man

No, she wasn't. Yes, she was a prominent member of the supporting cast but she wasn't a main character. If you are going to interpret the thread that broadly then any regular cast member of any TV show is "the main character."

So, for example, under your theory Commissioner Gordon, Chief O'Hara, Aunt Harriet and Alfred the Butler were the main characters on a show called "Batman."

Furthermore, the question posed by the OP wasn't about "a" main character. It was about "the" main character. In the case of DS9 that was clearly Sisko

13. Gov Kodos

NCC-1701-B's right. DS9 was an ensemble show in most ways. Your Batman example, like most any prime time show prior to the 90's, was not an ensemble show.

14. the G-man

Which, if true, would make her "a" main character, not "the" main character. As noted above, the question posed by the OP wasn't about "a" main character. It was about "the" main character. If the show was truly an ensemble there was no main character and the example is still inapplicable.

15. Gov Kodos

She's still right. Your grammar nazi bully attempt won't change that.

16. the G-man

Now, simmer down. Pointing out that I don't think the answer is responsive to the question posed, and explaining the basis for my opinion, is neither bullying nor Nazism. It's not like I went to her house, dragged her family out of the attic to a gas chamber and then gave her wedgie.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

kira's one of the most important, interesting, central characters of ds9. i think its a fine example. and if not you should go complain about the person who said lily on How i met your mother too

it's a pointless, pedantic arguement

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

You are my new best friend. :)

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I have always liked Bakula but thought Archer on ENT was kind of, well, an arrogant dick. Trinneer as Trip completely stole the show. He was the most likable and most interesting by far, even with the inconsistent writing. It was probably the way in which the Archer character was written; he was talked up too often, practically mythologized and then Bakula plays him as Joe Suburban. It made me feel a bit resentful of him. "Wait a minute! He's not so great. Stop talking about him. Put Trip on!"

It's a shame, really. I really liked Bakula on "Men of a Certain Age," where he was playing an immature, vain, selfish actor. You weren't supposed to like him, at least not a first, and he did a great job, making you eventually feel a bit sorry for this idiot.

19. the G-man

Someone else complained about the Lily example. I didn't see the point in piling on.

Leonard McCoy's one of the most important, interesting, central characters of TOS. But I'd never assume he was "the" main character of that show.

20. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Buffy is a good one. Never warmed up to her... actually I'd say I was neutral towards her and liked her less and less as the show went on.

Angel on the other hand I hated from the start, what with his stupid caveman face,but eventually he grew on me to the point I rather liked him. Still Team Spike tho.

I considered Jack on Lost to be the main character, at least at the start, and I didn't like him. He grew on me too.

Never liked Sinclair on Babylon 5, but Sheridan was tolerable.

Don't really like Raylon on Justified.

Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation.

This!