This Borg vs Dominion Thingy

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there's also the water down effect to consider. The Borg and Dominion are both guilty of this. Throughout the run, the bad guys, who are unstoppable when we first encounter them, get watered down considerably to the point where the good guys can beat them.

When we first encountered the Borg, they laughed at everything the Enterprise-D threw at it, destroyed an entire FLEET and nearly assimilated Earth with a single Cube. By the end of Voyager, Cubes were largely ineffective against Voyager, even the ramped up tactical cubes had to shut down for repairs against a ship half the size of the E-D to say nothing of them turning on Godmode in Endgame and blowing up Cubes wholesale.

When we first encountered the Dominion their technology was unstoppable, their warriors were the best, and they took out a Galaxy class starship with little effort. By the end of Season 7 of DS9 runabouts could take out Jem'Hadar attack ships.

So as for the hypothetical Borg vs Dominion? Really depends on when we're talking about. I'd say early DS9 the Borg would win. By the end of Voyager the Dominion would by sole virtue of the Borg having been watered down more than they were.

2. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes! That too! :D

3. R. Star

It's like they forgot the Dominion had those long range transporters and force field abilities around season 5 or something. To say nothing of Eris being telepathic.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My thought is that Starfleet learned a way to improve their tech to combat the Dominion.

It was the same reason a fleet of ships assembled to fight the Borg cube in First Contact was able to do heavily damage to it, while another fleet was completely ineffective against another cube in BOBW.

5. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Doesn't the question ask how a Borg Drone and Jem'Hadar fighter would do in hand- to-hand combat? I'm not sure how the comparison of the two fleets came into play.

Anyway, I think the Jem'Hadar is in trouble, if weapons are not allowed. Remember, in Best of Both Worlds, Worf was thrown to the ground quite easily by a drone. The Borg Drone is certainly stronger, and though it's slower, it should win. It's also more durable than the Jem'Hadar.

Locutus was bringing Worf to his knees before Data made the save, also. Borg Drones are very powerful.

6. R. Star

It depends if we're dealing with the watered down Borg or not. A single drone owned Worf in BoBW but in First Contact he was mowing them down by the dozen. Plus the Jem'Hadar all carry those long straight bat'leth knockoffs for hand to hand combat, so adapting isn't an issue.

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't the Drones be in more trouble without weapons? After all other races can hold their own - Worf could etc. lmagine 1000s of Worfs that could be trained and replaced in 14 days...

8. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Wouldn't the Drones be in more trouble without weapons? After all other races can hold their own - Worf could etc. lmagine 1000s of Worfs that could be trained and replaced in 14 days...[/QUOTE]

That's why I mentioned without weapons. Worf was killing Borgs with his Bat'leth, not without it.

Without weapons, Worf had no chance against a Borg Drone. I don't recall him having success without a weapon.

9. R. Star

^ Which is why the Jem'Hadar would presumably do quite well against the Borg in a ground combat scenario. They all carry those bat'leth ripoffs too. Amazing the Borg can adapt to weapons fire, walk through forcefields, function in a vacuum but blunt force trauma gets them every time.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Not always, the Renegade Borg in "Descent" were very fast and strong. They'd be able to dodge and block physical weapons.

11. R. Star

Those weren't Borg. They were just albino henchmen mercenaries in black leather that Lore got at a bulk rate. ;)

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But still, it shows that Borg Drones have the potential to be fast and strong in hand to hand combat.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Telekinetic.

I don't think the Jem'Hadar were as watered down as you make it seem. Sisko physically took on J'H soldiers in The Jem'Hadar (as does Bashir just one episode later), and three runabouts all survived up against J'H fighters. The Odyssey was only taken out by a suicide run, which I'm not sure really counts as 'little effort'. (Up to the individual on that one I guess.) :)

Walking through forcefields and long-range transporters aside, I think most of the later battle stuff was just the Federation stepping up its game. It takes a little while to switch from exploration mode to war mode. ;)

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would have been interesting to see the Borg assimilate the Jem'Hadar, then see what happens when the addiction to Ketracel White is introduced to the Borg collective. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. UM, BUT FIRST...DO YOU KNOW WHERE WE CAN FIND SOME KETRACEL WHITE?

15. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    The question is did the Borg assimilate a Jem'Hadar before??
    if yes,the Borg wold win of course.
    If not,i think the Jem'Hadar has a chance since they are genetically engineered for war.
    but judging by their poor performance against Sisko and Worf i would still say its a 75% Borg will win.:borg:

16. R. Star

Typically in these what if scenarios you ignore the seeming immortality of the protagonists.

17. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    hehe that is true

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Apologies if I'm taking a facetious post seriously. :)

It's more likely the Borg would have the know-how to eliminate that dependency.

19. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha...Yes, that was my infantile attempt at Trek humor. Oh well! :)