The Treaty of Algeron in current Litverse (possible TP spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by rahullak, Nov 4, 2012.

1. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wondering after having read Brinkmanship and now while reading Persistence of Memory : now that the Romulans are part of the Typhon Pact, does the Treaty of Algeron continue to be in effect? Does the text of the treaty allow for changes in the geopolitical structure of the quadrant? Should the UFP continue to honor it if it doesn't?

I ask because it appears as though cloaking devices are still not being developed or deployed in Starfleet. And it seems to me that since the nature of the relationships between the powers have changed, Starfleet developing and deploying cloaking devices might not constitute a violation of the treaty of Algeron or might not result in combat or war. It could be used as a diplomatic maneuvering tool by the UFP, for example.

Any thoughts regarding this?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I am of the opinion that when the Typhon Pact formed the Federation needed to either renegotiate the cloaking device provision of the treaty, asking for a provision that would prevent the Romulans from sharing the technology, or pull out of it entirely.

Eventually the Pact will master slipstream and between that and Phase cloaks, the Federation and its allies will find themselves at a marked disadvantage.

Then you have the fact that the Breen have...

...made off with an unknown number of Soong-type androids based on Lore.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I don't think there was a renegotiation - the Federation discovered the TP's existence only by accident in A Singular Destiny.

For what it's worth: In an alternate timeline where the Borg weren't wiped out (= Star Trek Online), Starfleet has equipped several ship classes with cloaking devices, namely the Galaxy-X and Defiant classes (and their derivatives). In STO, however, neither Typhon nor Taurus Pact exists and the Romulan Star Empire is politically fractured since Empress Sela was kidnapped in 2409.

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Still, rahullak brings up an important point: if the UFP hasn't renegotiated the Treaty--they need to. The balance of power would seem to depend on it.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really, the Phase Cloak seems to be something the Romulans were trying to keep to themselves when possible and has already been countered anyway.

6. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Countered?

If they so wish, the romulans could have phased agents and ships...wherever they want to within the federation.

Such as the orbit of all major federation planets, the security council room, etc.
    For all we know, enterprise and ds9 have their permanent romulan residents by now.

And you call that countered.

7. rahullak

Where and in which book has it been portrayed that the phase cloak or normal cloak have been countered by the UFP successfully?

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

The phase cloak sure didn't stop the U.S.S. Defiant from detecting the I.R.W. Eletrix.

9. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

They also talk about 'countermeasures' in the latest Mack book.

10. rahullak

Oh yeah, forgot about that. But still that happened only in close range?

Also, there is at least one other use for having cloaking or phase cloaking devices: in potential first contact situations or during observation of a pre-warp society. It would obviously be advantageous to Starfleet and the UFP to have them.