‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Keaton had the best live action Batman voice. I wish Bale had done something similar instead of whatever the hell he did! :p

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I love when people screw up a role so bad that people start saying it was the best film in the genre.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The movie made 800,000,000 dollars world wide. How much bigger did they want it?

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting, insofar far as his voice as Batman was digitally enhanced to make it deeper and more menacing. So wasn't really his voice. It was a computer's voice

5. the G-man

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Your point? Bale's Batman voice still sounded like shit in TDK and TDKR. I wouldn't surprised if there was some "enhancing" going on in those movies too.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Well over a billion or 1.5 billion. That's the new expectation these days.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

No one actually counts marketing in a movie's budget, so that billion dollar number to beak even is bullshit. WB definitely was expecting MOS to be a bigger hit though.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

They may not count marketing in the budget, but they expect the movie to make back enough to pay for the marketing as well.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

General rule for any movie to break even is that it makes at least double the budget. Anything more and it begins to make a profit.

If a movie makes three times the budget or more, than a sequel tends to get fast tracked into production.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides, that break even calculation is a basic example of Hollywood accounting.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's also a non sequitur. Just because Affleck was good in one movie doesn't mean he's good in ALL movies or that he fits the idea of a character with 60-70 years of history and iconism to him.

Ben Afleck may have grown to be a good actor, I don't know I've not seen him in anything recent, but that doesn't mean he'd instantly be a good Batman.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  15. Gecko of Gorn

Gecko of Gorn Commodore Commodore

^ Oh, I don't know.... Given enough time to prepare....

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What happened to Wolfgang Petersen by the way?

17. the G-man

I know a writer for Cracked. While a humor site, he reports that they fact-check stuff like that fairly rigorously. Either way, it isn't the first time I've read about how MoS' budget was so high that the film wasnt as big a hit as you might think, just the most recent

18. the G-man

Exactly what I said. Not sure why you seem to be treating it as a defense of Bale's voice.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

And, as I mentioned about 40 pages ago, before its release, WB were expecting a box-office take of well above $1bn.

http://www.newsarama.com/18039-man-...nd-high-stakes-for-their-dc-movie-future.html

Based on hopes like that, MOS' eventual take is probably seen as disappointing.

I do think that bringing Batman in is in hope of achieving TDK-style monies. Also, I suspect that they've cast a name actor as Batman to make up for the fact that the sequel will (presumably) be Costner and Crowe-free and maybe needs a little more name recognition factor.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Man of Steel is still a bigger success than Superman Returns. MoS with a production budget of $225 million. Returns which had a production budget of $270 million. SR marketing budget I couldn't find. However SR only grossed $391 million worldwide. The fact that MoS was confirmed for a sequel in the weeks following it's release at SDCC means that WB was satisfied with the money it was making. Plus there are still dvd and bluray sales to tally up come November.