The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Although even in Gene's writing days, you'd rarely find the skipper or the first officer up there. All the real action would be in a darkened room deep down, with display screens rather than windows, and with radios rather than binoculars.

Having the bridge at the top of the ship would not be "realistic", but it wouldn't exactly be "unrealistic", either. It would be very vaguely satisfactory in the verisimilitude sense, bringing back memories of a time when there had been realism to such a placement (an extremely narrow time window after the invention of steam but before the invention of wireless), but highly satisfactory in the "wow, I can see where they are!" sense. And in a science fiction, the level of internal realism for such a placement could be established by the writers, without constraints from the real world.

Timo Saloniemi

2. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell yes!!!!

That's a muscle ship!!!

3. GalaxyX

This :bolian:

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Steroids are bad. Ships on steroids are even worse.
    :vulcan:

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seconded. :bolian: One thing I that I've always hated was the attitude the writers seemed to take about it. Having the characters just transplanted into a new ship in the very next movie always left a bad taste for me. As if the writers just couldn't understand that the viewers can get just as attached to the sets and models the same way we do to the people and actors. I've got a greater emotional connection to the 1701-D than I do to its successor.

The Ent-E never had that same connection to me. It was just a "nothing ship" IMO, I didn't care about it. Whereas seeing 1701-D tackling the Borg invasion attempt or fighting the Son'a would at least have registered an emotional connection to me. Of course, the old Enterprise D sets were all being converted for use on Voyager, so on a practical level I'm afraid the death of 1701-D was a necessity. :(

6. GalaxyX

I remember what hooked me into TNG was the Enterprise D and Data. By definition, both machines.

I loved the way that ship looked like extremely advanced technology that was human designed (unlike other ships from other series that tend to look organic or insect like).

I also loved Data's character, and what he represented.

I hated everyone else :lol: particularly Troi with her "I sense your feelings!" and Riker with his female ass grabbery and stupid coy smirk.

I did warm up to everyone though eventually, but the ship was a huge part of my original love of the show. It truly was part of the series.

The movies lost that by getting rid of it and replacing it with some insect looking thing.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Enterprise D was a graceful lady, full of style and refinement.

This thing is a macho stud, with a big swing johnson.

:)

8. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

The sets really do form a connection. My mom is a big Star Trek fan and loved TOS. Her and my father watching TNG during its first run is what got me into Star Trek so much, I literally grew up with it on in our house all the time from the day I was born. :bolian: Anyways, one of the things my mom always tells me about when TNG first aired was that she didn't connect to the ship right away. One of her initial reactions about the bridge set: "WHERE ARE THE RED DOORS?!" :rommie:

9. GalaxyX

I can agree with this :D

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's overcompensating for something, though.

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't it obvious? Riker never sealed the deal with Troi because Worf moved in. Then later the first thing we see the new Enterprise (Riker's flagship) doing is using its giant cannon to destroy a Klingon ship.

Freud might have something to say about that. :lol:

12. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate that i was born in the 70's and 90's was highschool for me.. Otherwise i'd have a sweet ass pic to post...

Back in the day I would buy Enterprise-D and build, paint, etc,etc but then after all that was done I would "Battle Damage" them all up. My local hobby shop(were I bought all my paint/glue/models) sold sheet plastic for making things on your own. I put "armor" on my Enterprise.. WAAAAAY before Voyager. I armored the upper and lower Engineering Hull as well as other "key" areas.. At least "key" in my mind.. Plus i would add different parts from other models that I had. Making her an "upgraded" unit. Kit-bashing at 15.. Now more then ever I wish I still had it or got pics of it. In my own mind it was major badass. ;)

13. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

That sounds cool, I wish you had pics, too. My friend did airbushing and he took my Romulan ship I painted the weird green and redid it like it was cloaked by painting it black and then painting stars on it. I don't have a pic, either, but it looked great.

14. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I'm another who didn't really care for the kit-bashed GalaxyX or whatever it was called. It really looked like the equivalent of a hotrod built by a teenager with unlimited funds.

I'd almost call it "Orky" if you're a 40K fan...

15. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Maybe if it had a red paint job it would explain Warp 13 ;)

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or that the Klingons of the future apparently standardized using huge phallic shaped vessels? ;)

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there another sort?

Timo Saloniemi

18. SilentP

The Bird of Prey isn't particularly phallic.

19. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Not particularly Klingon, either. The appearance always reminds me they were originally supposed to be Romulan ships.

20. SilentP

For me, only because they're green and have a feather pattern on the wings are the only clues to originally being intended as Romulan, the neck and 'head' seems more reminiscent of a Klingon ship, like a D7.