13-year old commits to USC

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Alidar Jarok, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

There was some discussion in the College Football thread, but I think this deserves its own discussion. A 13-year old 7th grader has verbally committed to attend USC in five years. It's obviously non-binding and both sides can back out, but is this at all a good idea? It seems like it's putting an enormous pressure on someone who won't even attend high school for over a year (although I believe he can play on the football team next year).

Thoughts?

link to ESPN story

highlight video

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Logically speaking, how could it be pressure if it's non-binding?

3. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

the Pressure to perform up to his perceived Potential, and not to mention the amount of attention this will bring down on him in the coming years, the kids only 13, let him worry about kid stuff for now....

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Once genetic profiling is perfected, I think USC should start recruiting in-utero.

:techman:

5. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

This is stupid, so much can happen in 5 years, but I don't think it's THAT big a deal. The father has the right attitude and he's probably correct:

Sills' father believes the reaction would have been different if Sills were a prodigy pianist offered a spot in the Philharmonic Orchestra.
    "The way I look at it is if David was a phenomenal mathematician and I held him back, wouldn't that be wrong? If he was a great piano player or a gifted child actor and I held him back, wouldn't that be wrong?" Sills' father asked. "There are a lot of things that people don't put a negative stigmatism to because they're considered prodigies and all I'm doing is saying David has been recognized as a decent athlete and I'm allowing him to fulfill whatever opportunities that he can. It's as simple as that. There's no pressure, there's gentle encouragement. He's the one that always says dad let's go to the gym and let's throw. It's what he enjoys doing. If he ever got to a point where he doesn't love what he does I told him to stop."

I do think there's something to be said about undue pressure at his age, but as long as it's managed properly.....