My god, the new Enterprise must be HUGE

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by darkwing_duck1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

We've always assumed certain dimentions for the "Big E", but I took a close look at the high def cap of the saucer under construction and found something ASTONISHING:

[​IMG]

and here's the unannotated image so you can see the details the text and lines obscure

[​IMG]

using that 2m stick as a comparison, (based on the size of the kneeling figure at lower right)and adding in the areas betwen and above the edge of the saucer section is ~20-21m thick at least. At a 3m celing height (sounds about right) that = 6 or 7 DECKS, at a 4m height (which seems to big for what is shown) it would still be ~5 decks.

The "old" Big E we always guestimated at 2-3 decks thick at the saucer rim MAX.

The only logical conclusion is that's she's a BIG girl...

2. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

well- it's hard to say with any certainty that the detail shown is indicative of each deck... I hope. But based on the little welder dude on top,I can't even make out if it's a person or robot, you may be right. But if it's a man, then this ship will be a little bigger then we know it to be. If so, say hi to the new BSG- er Star Trek.

Also- look at the image (on the video) at the bottom of the saucer. The bit above the sensor dome looks like the bottom of the past movies' refit Enterprise... At least to forward part of the dome- it could be torpedo launch tubes.

I'll still wait to see a bit more to confirm that my fears are not being realized here. I don't want to jump to too many conclusions based on this, and ruin the movie for me. The CGI guys may have been still working on scaling issues when they made this. I hope.

3. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

nice work darkwing,
    that also means those nacelles are even bigger than they first seemed.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Having the ship be bigger would ruin the movie for you?

Priorities, people!

5. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ummm... I don't understand what you are baseing your 2m estimate on?

6. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice work, but it's based on the false premise that you can be certain what constitutes deck floors from that shot.

7. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Yet Another Poll !

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Your Enterprise is so huge, the sun slingshots around it to go back in time!

9. darkwing_duck1

I can't be TOO far off, in the annotation free image you can plainly make out at least 3 decks, one of them appearing to be 2-3 decks tall and almost the equivilant of a deck beneath the kneeling figure at lower right.

I whipped out a copy of the TOS Connie layout and assuming she keeps the same PROPORTIONS, using 20m for the saucer rim I ballparked the following numbers for her:

LOA: 940m (3084')
    Beam: 400m (1312')
    Height (keel to top of nacelles): 250m (820')

(these figures +/- 5m to allow for slight measuring errors and rounding)

10. darkwing_duck1

see my response to the response immediately before yours for the REALLY wacky numbers...she works out to be longer than the stated length of the Galaxy-class by almost 150%... :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. darkwing_duck1

On the UNmarked pic, look to the kneeling figure on the lower right...I made a red mark = from where his knee meets the deck to the top of his head, then allowed a bit on top of that for him to be standing fully erect. I arbitrarily called that =2m (roughly human height).

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I think he should be somewhat taller than what you estimated...

13. darkwing_duck1

Go back and look again, I got 20m by stacking up the 2m marks and adding an allowance for the unfilled areas above the top mark, below the bottom and the two gaps. That is entirely independent of any perceived decks (though I can make a case for at least 3 of them. Simple math yeilds 5 decks (at 4m' each) or 6 decks at (3m each with 2 meters left over) from 20m total height.

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Dude. First we can't tell shit about height, width and perspective. But then, when I look at the Bridge dome (from the big ass official picture), I'm fairly sure that the scale you use is way exaggerating.

15. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're saucer thickness estimate is right (I'm not say it is or it isn't), I suppose it's possible that the ship could have a thick saucer, but all other parts are the same - i.e. there's no way to tell if this ship has the same or similar proportions as the TOS/TMP ships.

However, isn't that a guy welding in the upper left of the opening in your pic? If that is a welder, then your 2m sticks are inaccurate, because that man would be huge. I'm not sure the figure at the lower right that you used is a man kneeling.

16. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

It's almost Chuck Norris big.

Almost.

17. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think it's a man. Plus, your scale would make the lamps at the middle about one meter in diameter, which is unlikely.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

My impression is similar to darkwing_duck1's. Based on visual cues the ship in the teaser looks about twice the size of the TOS ship.

19. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Darkwing, I respectfully have to disagree...there really is no clear frame of reference for height in those shots. That blob that *might* be a welder is way too vague to be of any certainty.

For example: At 00:00:50 there is a figure standing further back on the saucer (behind the second "S") which is about the same 2m height you set for the blob welder. Bring him forward to the saucer edge, and he gets much bigger.

I'm not saying your wrong, mind you, my example is just as tenuous. I just think we need clearer points of reference.

20. darkwing_duck1

Where am I exaggerating? I used a HUMAN figure (a farily reliable unit of average height) close to the LEADING edge of the structure I measured _the height of the RIM of the saucer, which is the closest point to the camera, so perspective distortion is minimized).

Even if I were over by as much as 1/3, that would still yeild L = 626m, W = 266m and H = 166, still nearly Galaxy length, and over twice her original stated length.