Planet of the Titans

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone ever seen the actual treatment for this film? Has anyone ever put a PDF up anywhere?

2. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what I understand, there's very little information available about this film, least of all scripts and story drafts.

I did see this link in another thread, which has pretty much everything concerning Planet of the Titans: http://www.3p2c.com/couldashoulda.html. The guy who wrote it specifcally talks about how much trouble he's had hunting down any kind of official documentation of the film.

(apologies to the original poster of the link, I can't find where I saw it!)

3. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

Great, thanks!

4. Ottens

Ottens Commander Red Shirt

I've compiled a page at my own site about the project along with lots of production artwork that was done mostly by Ken Adams and Ralph McQuarrie.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That'd be this thread that I started.

I notice you updated it and corrected some of the misattributions that I've seen.

6. Ottens

Indeed! Thanks for pointing some things out that I'd previously gotten wrong!

7. Maurice

My pleasure. I think you and I share an interest in setting the record straight as opposed to repeating urban myths!

That said, the fact that your section on designing the Phase II Enterprise also featires images of the Adam/McQuarrie design doesn't help divide those often confused topics, and I encourage your disentangling them. :)

8. Ottens

Well, I talk a bit about those designs in that particular article, that's why I have those images there. Besides people tend to associate them with "Phase II", and I like to make it clear that they weren't made for "Phase II" at all! (I hope that's clear enough from the article ;))

9. Maurice

But WHY discuss them there? You have Planet of the Titans discussed under the Phase II section when it really should be a different "First attempts" topic or something like that. Putting it under a Phase II umbrella makes it seemed related, when it's not.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  10. Ottens

Where else should I put the "Planet of the Titans" page? I'm can hardly create a whole separate section for just one article. That'd be a waste of space in my navigation bar. Besides, I don't think it would actually fit. ;)

But let's not hijack this thread even more than we already have. I'd be happy to receive whatever suggestions you have for the site by email though!

11. The_Beef

The_Beef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow. It's fascinating to see the direction it could have all gone. I'm definitely glad it didn't, because it sounds like the franchise would have been finished with it, but it's still interesting.

Seeing that model of the Enterprise-refit has gotten me wondering. What would be the fan reaction if they were forced to accept a change that drastic? I mean, that ship is radically different from what we know. How on earth could they explain that as a refit? Seeing the reaction to the new model for Star Trek XI, I can't begin to imagine how harsh the reaction would have been to that.

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Not as much history with the design at that point, so I think it would have been okay, especially if the modelmakers took it back toward Adam's design and away from McQ's SWishness.

The big dif is in the interior, where the saucer was actually OPEN, so you could see down 10 decks through from the bridge. Kind of a cross between a french airport and MOONRAKER's space station, with diagnoal habittrails linking areas.

13. Maurice

Of the McQuarrie paintings only one seem to portray the big delta XB-70 shape, so I think that was just a one off. The other paintings seem to show a narrowed delta closer to Adam's sketches, so I think that's more likely what we'd have gotten had the film moved forward.
    Which seems to me that there wasn't a lot of concern with design continuity or trying to explain how the TV series ship morphed into this new design. My guess is that the Enterprise seen at the start of the story pre-refit wouldn't have looked like the TOS ship anyway.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

15. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that might've caused a few ruffled feathers in the 1970s, much like the Abrams movie is doing today.

16. Maurice

If you're talking about the Ed Gross one, it only has three pages on Titans and no synopsis whatsoever.
    Maybe, but I think fandom in general was less slavish to the particulars in those days, as they hadn't had 40 years to debate it endlessly!

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not percentage wise. I know TOS people who still refuse to sit through TMP, as a protest for things being changed when it was being turned into a movie.

18. Maurice

You're possibly correct...maybe I just wasn't exposed to that type of fandom back in the day.