Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray Problem

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

This topic is about the Blu-ray problem. That's your big clue. I liked the movie enough to buy it, but I would be disappointed by the extras no matter which one I bought. So it doesn't matter which one I buy - I'll be disappointed. So I'm not buying. Clear enough for both of you?

And I'm so happy that TrekCore is keeping these threads so frequently informed of its progress. :rolleyes: After a quick skim, TrekCore's latest post covering the exclusive extras looks thorough, but lacking any reference to the controversy. THAT'S also disappointing. While mentioning all the exclusives, there should have been an obligation to the fans to mention fan objections and disappointment about the practice. I've never heard of TrekCore until now. Maybe that sounds strange, but I don't frequent these forums or other sites much. Justly or not, my first impression is aggressive promotion and minimization of a problem or whitewashing the issue after being initially two days late to report it. Neither is a positive attribute and I have to question whether their priorities are about the fans or about the business.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Putting this all in context: the progression began with Commish Sleer's request for details concerning the features included in the various versions. A little bit further on is austen_pierce's expression of a wish to be better-informed before making a purchase, to which your response seemed to be saying:
    "It doesn't matter. I've already decided that all of the options are equally disappointing, so I'm not buying and you shouldn't buy, either."​
    Now, it's one thing if that not really what you meant—that can easily be chalked up to unclear wording, and a re-statement made—but it's not exactly fair of you to be belittling others for not reading your intended meaning into it in the first place.

I hope this clears things up a little.

3. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Two things:

(1) Go back and read the first part of our review, where we do almost nothing but talk about how terrible a job was done with this release. If you think we've minimized the issue, you're quite incorrect.

(2) We got the Blu-ray two days before we posted the review, which is how long it took us to (a) watch the film and get nearly 100 screen caps (b) watch ALL of the VAM, and (c) get the whole thing written up. Unlike The Digital Bits - who needed to find out about the VAM issues from reader emails (and still managed to get half of their report incorrect) - we took the required amount of time to get ALL of our information correct before we published our review.

4. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

5. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Fair enough, I'll give you that.

Here's my point of view as a fan of Star Trek. I've never been disappointed or angry enough at the franchise to not buy content until now - 38 years after I attended my first Star Trek convention in Philadelphia in 1975. This is different. I expect activism on behalf of the fans. I have never seen such a cynical move on behalf of Star Trek productions. I don't sense TrekCore is providing the kind of pressure that would get the studio's attention. That's what I want as a fan besides the review and content analysis.

The TrekCore review did not begin to mention the controversy until about the 17th paragraph - after a lot of shiny coverage. It should have been the lead. The controversy is completely absent from the follow-up content analysis when it is, in fact, utterly pertinent.

There is the plain assumption throughout both articles that fans will buy it like lemmings. TrekCore is just giving us options and wording that involve an inevitable purchase. There is a matter-of-fact review which discusses what is there and what it would cost to get everything. That's fine, and expected, but no option is discussed about opting out completely as a vote from our wallets to Paramount and Bad Robot. The article should have mentioned what some fans might do in protest - not buy. And perhaps extend that to quote fans who will continue such a movement to not buy other films similarly affected by such corporate cynicism.

I'm looking for advocacy on our behalf - not the attitude that we have to accept what is forced upon us with no choice in the matter. Calling it a "mess" is fine too, as far as it goes, but the article does not go far enough, early enough. It just makes the assumption that we are powerless against the forces of the studio, unlike the kind of spirit that got TOS renewed for a third season.

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I appreciate the detailed reviews. I'm still a bit confused though.

This is my general understanding, Best Buys and Target have different extras. Some of these extras are available in Britain, Germany and Australia.
    Germany's version has a version in the best aspect ratio if you've got a good TV - that of IMAX.

I'm from the land down under and looks like I'll have to peruse the stores to see the best version I can get according to aspect ratio and extras. The trouble is if I guess wrong. I'll pay $60 for the quad pack and may have to pay that again if I get it wrong.

What I want to know is are the US and German versions which are explained best are region free. I want to buy from an Australian store but I also want to get the best version and not miss out.

Also the stuff on itunes/youtube is almost never available to us in the Land Down Under. I can't watch the Star Trek episodes online either from STARTREK.COM.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I download lots of stuff from iTunes here in Oz. And I'm not sure what Youtube material you mean.

It's highly likely that, if Paramount Australia wants to get Aussies downloading stuff, they'll work out a deal for us to have access.

Well, that's because it's only licensed for US distribution, AFAIK.

8. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, its shit. Quite frankly.

Cheeky fuckers! I mean, just pisses people off.

Why cant they just stop dicking about with releases like this. How difficult is it to release the same issue worldwide? Extremely by the looks.

Unfortunatly i didnt cancel my preorder. So maybe when they get their act togehter ill buy the FULL release.

Just annoying.

Youtube it is. :techman:

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

If they put out multiple versions of a less popular movie, who's gonna care?

So you're a Blu-Ray producer and a retail chain approaches you with $$$$ asking to have exclusive bonus features, because they know it'll attract more traffic to their stores. Another retail chain approaches you with $$$$ asking to have a tin box and a toy exclusive, or a 3D cover, because they know it'll attract traffic to their stores.An online provider wants to start training users to get used to downloading, so they approach you with more $$$$ to have a bonus downloadable commentary.

Do you turn them all down and say, "Oh no, we owe it to the fans to make sure that every fan the world over gets exactly the same thing. Profits be damned"?

Or do you make everyone buy the tin box, toy, 3D cover, and hours of bonus material whether they want them or not?

10. Classic Fan

Therin, i appreciate the logic in your reply. Its common sense from a marketing PoV. I get that. But it was merely a mini rant at the situation at hand. I have the steelbook edition, i love the look of it, fair enough it lacks in features, but hey, never mind.

Im in the UK so i have a copy before you guys stateside. Watched it while i posted the previous post.

Dont mean to rant, but this is the same reason i never picked up The Avengers. I like the extra features as much as the next person. Its disapointing yeah, but hey.

Ive just finished trawling through them and, well, sigh. Lack of good extras but the steelbox looks awesome. May have to concede defeat and buy the inevitable full release. Shame. =(

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's all about the stores making as much money as possible, NOT about making fans happy!:vulcan:

12. James

James Guest

How is that new Trek working out for you Abrams fans now? The classic Trek fans were treated well, new Trek fans are getting hosed.

13. Classic Fan

Yeah, i get that. We all know what theyre upto. :techman:

But lets face it, we wouldnt be fans if we were all happy. ;)

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fantastic. We just got a great Star Trek movie a few months back and soon we'll own it, so we can see it again whenever we want.:bolian:

The vast majority of people posting around here, including myself, are what you call classic fans.

15. Classic Fan

LOL.

On the contrary, I'm not an Abrams Trek fan and i appreciate the fact we still have trek in film. I like the direction JJ is taking it, and i like the films as films, but they're not the Star Trek i grew up with and love.

16. Classic Fan

Thanks for pointing it out, thats exactly why i chose my username ten years ago, i love TOS. :)

17. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, how did that 4th season of The Original Series work out for you?

18. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

That is the funniest statement I've heard yet from a "TruTrekkie".

Glasses, thy color is rose.

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

:sigh:

Another warning. Comments to PM.

Everyone else: do not feed what doesn't need to be fed.

20. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.