Any Decent Freeware Video Editing software?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Tribble puncher, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

As the Title states, Program will mainly be used to Edit FRAPS video. Looking for something thats fully free, and not a "Trial" version. looked around on google, but alot of what I saw looked sketchy. I'm actually new to using Video making software...I've just never really had a need for it untill now. Thanks in Advance.

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Wikipedia comes to the rescue, listing (almost?) all software packages that can be used for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software

I can't personally offer you anything in particular. I've used Avidemux, Kdenlive, VirtualDub, Cinelerra, (and Adobe Premiere), and I've found them all decent for what I was trying to do at the time, but they are suitable for different tasks and they are used differently, so YMMV.

I've also used Windows Movie Maker, and I wasn't happy with it (it could only output to formats I didn't want IIRC), but that was probably the first version ever, so it no longer applies.

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I use Blender's VSE a lot. It's remarkably flexible, with new features added regularly as Blender continues to grow. The drawback is that it is integrated as part of Blender's whole 3D modeling/rendering/animation product, and that environment can be challenging to master. But once you get the basics down, you'll not only be able to use the VSE as a non-linear editor, but you'll be able to integrate 3D elements and composite an unlimited range of effects.

Oh! I nearly forgot. Blender is essentially platform independent. That means you can easily move your project files from Linux to Mac to Windows with minimal maintenance.

4. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I've used VirtualDub with some frequency, but its feature set is rather limited compared to commercial software like AVID, which I've also used.

5. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

Do yourself a favor and just buy Sony Vegas Studio.
    It's less than $50, works great and you won't be pulling your hair out trying to get something done.

6. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

You didn't really specify what you meant by "edit" your FRAPS videos, but I'm guessing you just want to resize it, maybe edit out parts or combine multiple videos into one, and convert to some other final format. If that's it, VirtualDub will do it just fine and it's not that hard to learn. You won't be able to do any 3D effects or transitions or anything of that sort, but it will do what I'm guessing you want it for.

7. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got a program called "Video Edit Master" that I use when I need to cut/splice together something. It's free.