Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jon Hamm & co will soon again be draping all over our screens... and in spring instead of summer.

The sixth season of the American television drama series Mad Men is scheduled to premiere on April 7, 2013, with a two-hour episode. It will consist of thirteen episodes, each running approximately 47 minutes in length. AMC will broadcast the sixth season on Sundays at 10:00 pm in the United States, except the premiere, which will start at 9:00 pm.[1]

The two hour premiere is titled The Doorway.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty stoked for this and fairly unspoiled. The last couple of seasons have continued to be entertaining. Let's hope for more of the same.
    Next season is supposedly the last... unless of course Disney purchases and buries it first. ;)

There's something about that promo pic (above) that makes me think of Big Love...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Here's something I found...

Which 'Mad Men' character are you? Take the quiz and find out.

Here's what I got…

Never thought I'd get the man himself.

I like that pic too, but I like it because it really does look like it was taken in the 60s.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Duuude..The one in the middle is his kid, not his wife or girlfriend.

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Litte Kiernan Shipka has finally hit the puberty train.

5. the G-man

I got Don as well. I assumed I'd get Roger, Pete or Peggy.

Of course, the choices were so obvious to anyone who watches the show vis a vis which answer matched which character I may have subconsciously picked answers (at least in close cases) that matched Don.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Intriguing that your mind would go there first! :lol:

I meant managing multiple women in his life... since Betty Draper will once again be a force to be reckoned with this season we can reasonably expect to see more of him trying to meet the expectations of her as well as Sally and Megan. That's what I see in the photo. The look in his face is as though he's enduring some sort of matriarchal upheaval (and postulating another identity swap?).

Can you recall Sarah from Big Love (Amanda S) giving Bill plenty of trouble during the first few seasons? I can't wait to see what bombshells Sally will be dropping... likely having something to do with creepy former neighbour Glen!

Jesus, I'm Peggy Olsen??
    But... I picked beer!
    :D
    I was hoping for Roger, guess I'll have to stop drinking beer.

7. the G-man

Well, you DID bring up a show that was about bigamy, but now that you've clarified what you meant your point is well taken. :bolian:

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I got Roger.

9. Dorian Thompson

I'm Peggy.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I got Peggy, too.

11. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Oh, Don.

12. Dorian Thompson

The recording of the episode at my "other means" site cut off the episode with about 30 seconds or so to go. Right when whats his face at Peggy's office was teasing her about Ted liking her. I read some reviews. I take it the last shot was of Don in bed with one of the women from his and Megan's dinner party?

Also, concerning the episode--what the hell was that supposed to be, anyway? I adore this show, but his reminded me of the one episode in all of the preceding five seasons that I loathed, when Don and Pete were on the business trip in California and he left Pete to run off with those bohemians. I'm not buying Betty sitting in a flophouse for hours, and that line about Henry raping Sandra while Betty held down her arms? Did Matt Weiner hate his own mother or something? Seriously, she's never been perfect but I remember during season two when Don was cheating constantly and we all had sympathy for Betty because Don was always sabotaging her self esteem, telling her she looked desperate in her bikini and all that. There's complex, there's depressed, and then there's pathological without cause or sufficient reason. What is up with how he writes for Betty anymore? At least with Don we know about his issues with women from the very beginning with his mother having been a prostitute and his stepmother psychologically torturin him for being a "whore child." I can remember thinking that Betty was going to embrace her inner feminist self and rooting for her. Why does Weiner feel the need to make her so mental in a disturbing fashion?

Is it supposed to New Years going into 1968 or 1969? From the looks of Sally, I'd wager 1969.

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dr. Rosen's wife.

14. Agent Richard07

I did a quick search and it said they were going into 1968. And yeah, you can see subtle hints of the 70s approaching in the clothing and hair styles. The show is good with details like that. Can't wait to see what the gang looks like when the new decade hits.

15. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

They are going stop at 1970 correct?? If so there wasn't much change from 67-68 to 1970. Just look at old tv shows and movies from that period. There were still plenty of people sporting 60ish styles. So Don clinging onto his clean cut look is not out of the question for 1970. Though I am sure they producers will have him break down like the others eventually concerning longer hair and sideburns.

16. Agent Richard07

^ Last year, someone said that the show will end in the present day. If that's the case, it could be a coda tacked onto the last episode. I don't think we'll see entire seasons with them made up to look old in the 90s or 2000s. It'd love to see them at least get into the 70s as far as regular episodes go. Looking at old TV shows, there was quite a drastic change in style when the new decade came around. As far as the late 60s, it was still very much the 60s, but I noticed that hair styles started to change. If you look, you can see a hint of that in the later episodes of Star Trek. At least I saw a bit of it. Will Don keep his polished 50s look? Or will he have big hair and sideburns? Can't wait to see.

17. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh sure there were big changes in style happening in 1970 but still many did cling onto their clean cut look.(Shatner was a little shaggy at the start of season 3 and than was a little cleaner later in the season, Nimoy looked the same through the movies.LOL)
    Look at shows like Hawaii 5-0 that ran from the 60's to 80's. Jack Lords Macgarret still looked pretty clean cut in 1970. Later though he conformed.

I wonder if Mad Mens last ep will show a scene in 2014 or 15.(the years I am expecting the show to have its last season) Don will be like 89 or 90 by that point. I greatly doubt he will survive that long or be in a nursing home. The younger upstarts like Pete and Peggy may even still be working at that point in their late 70's.
    Guess they could also show some scenes set in 2000 or so in which case Don would be Berts age.

18. Dorian Thompson

Dr. Rosen's wife? His friend, Dr.Rosen?

Don, you're such a tool. Though I'm not surprised. I always figured he'd be out cheating eventually. Don's just a womanizer and he's never happy with what he has. When Megan didn't conform to this fantasy view he had of her, it was a matter of time. Crossing a boundary and doing his neighbor's wife is something new. He wants to get caught. Don's fearing death. It happens to a lot of people in middle age. You get scared for awhile then you learn how to deal with it. I remember getting a little obsessed after my 45th birthday. The whole, if I don't live to be 90 my life is more than half over thoughts and what have I accomplished mindset. Of course, I didn't head for the nearest friend's husband. :cardie:

Don, Don, Don. If you don't care about Megan anymore, at least think of your friend. He seemed like a decent fellow. Don wants out of his marriage. He doesn't want to be the one to ask. Let's just hope next episode is a little less surreal. And what WAS with Betty and that rape joke? Too unsettling. The brown hair looked surprisingly good on her, though. An attempt to look young like Sandy, I suppose.

19. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Corporate reunion? My grandfather actually went to one of those like ten years ago or so. Or the surviving Sterling Cooper employees attending Don's funeral.

20. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Don's cheating again was quite predictable, and as I posted right after last season ended, boring. Well, not unwatchably boring but certainly not as exciting as it was in the first couple of seasons. I was hoping they would have Don find a different way to express his need to escape or his dissatisfaction with the way things are working out with Megan's high profile career. It is also clear that he still loves Megan - or so it seemed to me.

I thought they portrayed Betty as more human than she has ever been. There is no way season 1 or 2 Betty would have gone down to the Bowery (or wherever that was) with the rats and filth and the (gasp!) unemployed, to help someone. BTW, is she still wearing a fat suit?

Betty's little pedo/rape fantasy was pretty raw, for her. But again, I think it was another step toward making her more human. She always had a raunchy side, but she was always trying to hide it -- she's letting her freak flag fly, here.

I love the way people talk to each other in this show. They are blunt, very direct. It really stands out today because of the care that has to be taken not to hurt feelings or make anyone uncomfortable. This is the way it was before political correctness took hold.

My favorite detail: Peggy picking Oakland or Houston to play in the Super Bowl against Green Bay. Those were the 2 AFC finalists with the Raiders making it to the SB to lose to the Packers.

Peggy is getting to be just like Don -- torturing her team until they (or she) come up with some good ideas.

The clothes and hair just screamed 1967. Their move into '68 should be very interesting. That was a very violent year.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013