Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I guess there were no quality control checks before the sets were mass produced.

-Chris

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really???? I have watched them a couple of times, never noticed

-Chris

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't say they just repeated the press release, I'm sure they did watch parts of the show, but it's just not feasible that they would watch an entire season of a tv show for a review of a show that's been out 25 years. All they needed was to watch a sample to review the updates and enhancements. Given that these problems are only in a handful of episodes, it's quite possible they just didn't encounter them.

4. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Handful= 7 episodes? 3 discs will need replacing.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

From The Digital Bits review:

Having now seen six complete episodes of the first season (and sampled the rest), everything I said before still stands.

The issues with Haven are right at the beginning of the episode and are impossible to miss.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, a handful is normally defined as a small quantity, more than a few but less than several, usually between 5-8, when not discussing a more specific measurement (such as a handful of peanuts).

Haven could simply be one they didn't watch, it is one of the weaker episodes of the season.

I'm not justifying that this slipped through, merely trying to point out that it's not completely unreasonable given the large amount of material they were provided with and the need to post reviews quickly for them to make money off ads. Not as many people will read a given review if another site has had one posted for a week and a majority of the audience has already gotten the information they require.

7. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

What are you hearing, specifically? I don't hear a problem (an echo) until about 27:27 into the episode... when Troi meets Riker on the holodeck. You're watching on a 7.1 system, correct?

8. BillJ

I'm actually watching upstairs on my 32" with the stereo track.

9. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not watching the set in order, just skipping around to watch my favorites. I just finished watching "11001001" and the audio sounds.... tinny? Just.... off. It's pretty much throughout the entire episode.

10. BillJ

When I switch back to the 7.1 track it makes it worse. Audio effects are fine, just the voices sound like there coming through a tin can.

11. Maxwell Everett

Hmm... must be an artifact of watching it downmixed to 2.0 on your 32". The duplicated dialogue on the left and right channels doesn't adversely affect the episode for me until the scene I mentioned. I'm pretty sure if they get rid of the dialogue on those tracks (on each affected episode), everything will go back to normal for everyone -- on the 7.1 mixes, anyway.

12. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, the stereo mixes should be okay?

I don't have a surround sound setup, nor am I likely to for the forseeable future. Still, this issue is concerning.

13. Maxwell Everett

It has fewer problems. It's out of sync on "Farpoint", though... according to some -- haven't had the time to check myself.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have a super fancy 7.1 system or anything, but I did watch a bit of Farpoint again and noticed Picard's captain's log entries were for some reason really echoey and concentrated only in the front, which was odd and which I don't remember from the sampler.

But the rest of the dialogue sounded fine to me.

The Naked Now looked and sounded great though. I thought I was used to the HD picture already, but the way these colors pop off the screen still completely blows my mind. After all these years, it's just SO damn weird to see the show and characters in such sharp detail.

The fact it looks like it was shot yesterday... but still has the cheesy storytelling and dated hairstyles of the 80s, is just very odd and is going to take some getting used to, I think.

BTW, whatever happened to that goofy asian engineer Shimodo? He would have been fun to keep around! :D

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard fired his ass for letting Wesley take over the ship :rommie:

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Encounter at Farpoint and Naked Now last night and didn't notice the audio issues (Of course like I said, I don't have a surround sound set up so I'm just using the TV speakers) but I thought I noticed some mumbling during the special features. I thought it was part of the gag reel and it meant to be there so I thought nothing of it. If they do have a recall, I'll take advantage of it, but reading some of these issues from people (And what I perceive to be slight overreactions) is disappointing to say the least.

After watching Naked Now though, I was really hoping the HD would actually fix the "Picard shouldn't have been infected because grunting doesn't intoxicate you" rule break that has bugged me for the longest time. Alas, it was not to be.

17. davejames

Speaking of which, with a stellar fragment about to destroy the ship and the thousands of people onboard, why didn't anybody think to simply blast through the wall or giant glass window with a phaser to get to the Engineering controls??

If the Doctor's dumb kid gets hurt or killed in the process, so be it.

18. davejames

Yeah I'm not exactly sure how he got infected. Unless Beverly was touching his hands during one of those closups, and we just didn't see it.

I did love that little wave he gave her afterwards though. That still cracks me up. :D

19. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Every time I watch it, I think how "The Naked Now" would have been so much better had it been done a few years down the road. Probably the closest thing we got to it (and it's still a stretch) was "Conundrum" in S5 in terms of the crew not acting themselves.

20. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I considered starting a new thread for this, but I'll put it in here for now. Let's make a list of every scene in Season 1 where you think you spot a CGI shot of the E-D. We know about the digital mattes in EAF from the documentary (and good guesswork beforehand by board members), but as I mentioned in another thread, I think the shot of the ship in the "outer rim" galaxy in WNOHGB where the ship is coming generally toward the camera is a CG E-D (I hope I'm wrong and it is just a testament to the amazing model work). I haven't made my way past "The Naked Now" so that's all I've got for now!

Tired of all this Audio talk. It's making me depressed!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012