Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

^ Any ideas on what avatar you're going to have?

2. futureboy

futureboy Ensign Newbie

Well obviously McCoy is taken :)
    I may just get real crazy and use a picture of me. Or my cat.
    Or maybe Plinkett?
    The choices are overwhelmingly endless.
    46 posts to go.

3. kirsten187

It looks that way, doesn't it?!

Have you triedthe Red Shirts Lounge here? It's a cool part of the forum where you can increase your number of posts quite quickly.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hahahahahahaha... we need more "young upstarts" like you. That term is a compliment, kirsten187! I take care of my mom, who is an invalid, at home. I am also the greater family's taxi driver, messenger boy, furniture mover and more... so my time here is sometimes limited. Thanks to your "young upstart" attitude everyone gets to be greeted whether I am here or not.:techman:

futureboy, there are so many avatars to choose AND you can change it as often as you wish. For Halloween and Christmas we usually have a chance to pick holiday screen names, too. kirsten187 is right about the Redshirt Lounge... and as you get promoted you will move to other Lounges, where you will meet other new friends.:bolian:

5. kirsten187

When do the new lounges appear? I remember this being mentioned but I have forgotten! I know it relates to how many posts you've made.

6. Mokona

Mokona Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

-peers into thread- Hi there everyone!!

I'm Mokona, or Moko...or Kona...or whatever nickname you wish to call me!!

Hi!!

I'm new!

I did not grow up with TOS of Star Trek as it aired way before I was even born but my dad grew up watching The Original Series. He did not watch any other series after that...but when we randomly found an episode airing on the TV, I would encourage him to watch and he in turn would encourage ME to watch. At first I took no notice, but when the Reboot came out in theatres, I was encouraged not only by the presence of Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban (yes...fangirlism) but by the idea that my dad might enjoy the trip back to his childhood and his memories of watching The Original Series.

I thought the movie was awesome and yeah!! This is the story of my introduction to Star Trek and I'm hoping to have loads of fun out here with you all!!

7. kirsten187

Hi, how are you?

Karl Urban was my link to TOS. I'd watched episodes before in the mid 1990s but not liked it very much, always preferring TNG and especially DS9. I saw the recent film on DVD and liked Karl Urban. That prompted me to buy all 3 seasons of TOS on DVD about 3 months ago and now I love it. Especially Dr McCoy but I prefer DeForest Kelley in the role (perhaps my avatar gave that away?!).

8. Mokona

^ Good how are you? XD
    Wow, I should go out and watch the TOS...:) I've only seen bits and pieces of episodes...so...yeah!!

9. kirsten187

^ I would recommend it. Not that it's a guarantee you'll enjoy it, of course, but it is very good. There are a few duff episodes but I think all of the different incarnations of Star Trek have some.

I'm ok thanks :)

10. Mokona

Alright! Thanks! :)

11. Sector 7

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread addresses this, although the formula sounds eerily complicated. FAQ is also located next to User CP at the top of every page.

In short, as you get promoted you will automatically see the Lounge for your rank. Lower ranks are grouped into The Redshirt Lounge. It has been awhile, but I think Captains Lounge is the first rank-specific lounge.

Remember, promotions are based upon BOTH number of posts AND time as a board member. You may have enough posts, but not been a member long enough. It is a complicated formula that only God and AnthonyF truly understand.:devil:

The Commodores and Rear Admirals may recall my thread "Sector 7's Farewell to the Troops" in which I said all my good-byes to the Commodores since I was only a few posts away from my promotion... except that I mis-counted and needed another 1,000 posts to get my promotion!! There was much laughter at my expense... including my own laughter!:guffaw:

12. kirsten187

Well, what's 1,000? :D Thanks for the information.

13. Ael

Ael Ensign Newbie

Jolan'tru!

I am not new to Trek, but am new to these forums. I've been loking for a new "home" for a while now, and this place looks like a nice one. Thought I'd join and have a look around.

I look forward to getting to know some of ya. Oh, and just because I'm a Romulan, doesn't mean I bite. ;)

14. kirsten187

Hello, welcome to Trekbbs. I hope you enjoy it here, it's cool. You can check out the red shirts forums, for new(ish) members if you like. How long have you been watching Star Trek?

15. DBKlingon

DBKlingon Lieutenant

Hey everyone! I am REALLY excited to be here! I've been a huge fan of the original series since I was just a small, innocent little child watching old reruns while my dad let me have a few sips of his beer. SSSHHHHHH, don't tell Mom!

Anyways, like I said I am absolutely PUMPED to be here! I cannot wait until I have enough posts to get my own avatar and start receiving/sending PMs and getting friends and so on. I'll tell you guys a little about me:
    I think Klingons get a bad rap
    I think Star Wars is cooler than Star Trek, but that says more about Star Wars than it does about Star Trek, since they're both the epitome of cool. If Steve McQueen had played Kirk instead of Billy Shatner, then it would have been cooler than Star Wars. However, on the issue of Darth Vader and his infallibility, there can be no compromise. But that's neither here nor there.
    I try to go to as many conventions as possible out here in California where I live. Me and my friends like to get all dressed up in our outfits and hang out and drink Kool-Aid and talk shop with the other fans.
    I am heterosexual.
    I loved the newest movie and I am really looking forward to future ones.
    I joined with some friends of mine from CrossFit, so there are a bunch of us floating around in the universe today. I went to one of my Crossfit sessions in my Federation uniform (the tan one, just like Kirk wore!) and all of the Star Trek fans there came forward and introduced themselves to me. We all decided to join a fan site together so we could share our love of Star Trek with everyone and be a part of a really cool community. I think we found the right place!
    Since I mentioned CrossFit, I should mention that I really like to move some heavy weight around and do enough cardio to stay just short of rhabdomyolysis. So anyone else out there who likes to get their swole on, feel free to hit me up via PM once I have 50 posts!

That's all for now! I look forward to getting to know all of you much better in the future!

16. kirsten187

Hi DBKlingon :) I hope you enjoy being here.

17. Lt_Rowy

Lt_Rowy Commander Red Shirt

Hi im Lt_Rowy...a new fan of Trek....enjoying the journey...started watching classic trek...Leonard Nimoy is a legend!

18. reversepolarity

reversepolarity Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haven't seen Star Trek in years, last time i watched it was somewhere between 1998-2001 when i was in my mid teens, and thought i'd long grown out of it.
    It's(all series) broadcast constantly on cable and satellite here in the UK and I by chance decided i'd give DS9 a try...now I'm addicted again! I guess there are somethings you never grow out of- once a trekkie always a trekkie! ;)
    So now I'm on a 5 year mission; to explore strange new forum members, to seek out old episodes and square eyed civilizations, to boldly go where lots of men, including myself have gone before.
    Sorry.

19. Sector 7

Welcome aboard, Lt_Rowy and reversepolarity! Be sure to check out the Redshirt Lounge where you can meet others who have recently joined. Other Lounges will be available as you move up in rank. It is a great way to get to know other forum members.

20. kirsten187

Hello Lt Rowy and reversepolarity - nice to meet you :)