TrekCore: "Important News about DS9 in HD Coming May 10"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Aatrek, May 10, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

By the way, Aatrek, that's one of my avatars you're wearing there. Took me hours to make the stars loop right. It's nice to see that it's still around.

2. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Really!? Well, I think it's great - good work!

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Remastered, yes! Recreated, no! When will people finally get the difference!

4. Michael

How to remaster computer generated imagery, though? Re-rendering is re-mastering it in this case. There's no two ways about it, upscaling a CGI shot is certainly not remastering it. Making a new render of the original file is the right thing to do.

Thank you! I think I did for one of the TNG Avatar Contests a few years ago. Don't remember winning it, though.

5. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Re-rendering the original elements is ok, but re-creating them ruins it for me. Even if it's as subtle as in TNG-R. And don't get me started on TOS-R!

6. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Then you should try at least TNG S2. From what you've said it seems to me that you'll love that one.
    Plus this set could use some more fans. :rommie:

7. Michael

Well, you'll get no arguement from me concerning TOS-R. I'm really not a fan of the "updated effects" by any stretch of the imagination. And you are right, they had nothing to do with a remastering.

In the case of the CGI files for DS9, however, those are the original elements. Rendering them anew is analogous to putting the original 35 mm film elements in a projector and scan them for a more detailed picture. That's exactly how they should remaster those effects elements.

EDIT: Schon lustig, wie das Board immer mehr von deutschen Usern bevölkert wird. Das hat man nun davon, dass es kein ordentliches, deutsches Star Trek-Forum gibt, richtig? Vielleicht sollten wir uns bei Gelegenheit mal in einem Thread sammeln. :lol:

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They should replace the meshes with higher resolution meshes with better textures and materials though. I'm thinking Tobias Richter/TheLightWorks. You can do that without making any changes to the rest of the scene (animations, lighting, so forth).

9. Beta-Z

Tjaha, wie Odo einst richtig bemerkte: "Sie sind überall!" :p
    Jetzt am WE steht sowieso einiges an Aktivität an, was den deutschen Sektor betrifft, aber dazu mehr am Sonntag.

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That remaster of the Honshu looks fantastic.

Surely if they have access to the original assets then it's too good an opportunity to pass up in favour of just upconverting the existing VFX.

This is great news!

11. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Here's what Bonchune's image looks like with a little grain and Gaussian blur added (and dropping the input brightness level just a bit afterward) to better simulate a photographic look. Click to enlarge:

[​IMG]

12. Beta-Z

Perfect.
    Well... guess that deal is done then, huh? ;)
    Oh, how i'd love to be a little fly now in the offices of those decision heads over at CBS.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm, not sure, it's still quite CG looking, unlike the original DVD version.

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It might be due to the texturing on the ship. The escape pods look like decals to me and there's some stuff on the pod that looks plasticky.

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I dunno, the original DVD version just looks like CG rendered at D1 res to me. There's nothing particularly magical about it, other than the fact that it has an incredibly low amount of visible detail (as you would expect). It certainly doesn't look any more like a physical model than the new 1080p render.

Here's what the miniature looked like in Generations:

[​IMG]

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

So let me get this straight. You didn't buy TNG remastered becasue it looks too good? :confused:

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Um... huh?

I would have guessed that you'd have liked the remastered original series since the complete original film masters were remastered in HD, original FX and all. The added FX had nothing whatsoever to do with the remaster and are simply an added bonus which you are free to watch or not.

EDIT: From an earlier post of yours:

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Good news.

It should drive down the cost to remaster a bit and make the decision by CBS easier.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So which series would sell better, DS9 or VOY? Which will CBS release first?

20. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Regardless of which may sell better, DS9 would be next in line - it's mostly model work (like TNG) for the first several seasons.