So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Overall I liked all of Keith's Supernatural novels, but the others I have read where somewhat inferior (still average to decent though). I still haven't read the last three novels, although I bought them when they came out.

(BTW If you're interested you can find my reviews of those I have read here, as well as links to my interviews with Joe Schreiber and Keith where they talked about The Unholy Cause and Heart of the Dragon respectively.)

There are two Supernatural novels in the pipeline at the moment:

Rite of Passage by John Passarella in August and Fresh Meat by Alice Henderson in November.

2. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Finished the secnd John Verdon novel Shut Your Eyes Tight yesterday. It was even better than the firt one! :techman:

Starting The Rings of Time (The Verdon novel delayed my starting this newest Greg Cox novel :) )

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

In the mood for some Trek, I embarked on the Q Continuum trilogy, by some guy who hangs around here...

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Q&A. Its definately my least favorite Q book. I'm a huge Q fan, but I just didn't like it. Compared to the excellent Q-Continuum Trilogy by Greg Cox, Q&A is very mediocre. There were a few interesting things, but overall it wasn't very good.

Now, on to Forgotten History. I loved the last Star Trek - DTI book, so I'm hoping this is good.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read Triggers and The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Invincible along with book six of Enteprises of Great Pitch and Moment.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

William Rotsler's Star Trek Short Stories. Hilarious quote from Admiral Tatenen, to Admiral Kirk, about the Klingons: "You give them a parsec and they'll take a light-year, son!" :lol: what a cautious bunch.

7. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Christopher's Ex Machina and I absolutely LOVED it! TMP will always have a very special place in my heart, and this book expanded on it wonderfully. I really wish he would have been able to continue it as a series, I'd love to read more. (And yes, I'm aware DTI: Forgotten History uses this timeframe, that's what pushed me to finally read Ex Machina. I bought it when it came out just because it was set during the TMP era, but with so many "ongoing" book series, TOS stand-alones tend to fall through the cracks if I fall behind on my reading. If it had become a series at the time, the second book coming out would have pushed me to read the first one sooner. So now I'm doubly looking forward to reading Forgotten History!)

I'm now reading Republic Commando: True Colors. Next up is probably going to be A Princess of Mars. Then on to Forgotten History!

8. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

Taking a very brief break from Trek-related reading to read Into the Shadows, the first Shadowrun anthology.

Read all of them. That was an excellent, excellent anthology. The standouts for me were KRAD's The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned, which serves as a prequel to The Battle of Betazed, A Song Well Sung by Robert Greenberger, which fleshes out an important part of the background for the IKS Gorkon series, and Twilight's Wrath, by David Mack, the Shinzon story you mentioned.

Also, I've been meaning to ask - is your username actually intended to be a Space: 1999 reference? If so, major props.

9. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a strange quote, because isn't a parsec a greater distance than a light-year? Something like 3.25 light-years, isn't it?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yes, that's presumably why he thought it was funny.

11. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Reading through the anthologies. I'm about 2/3 of the way through Star Trek: Constellations.

- Byron

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk[/yt]

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ijust finishe dreading Black Fire by Sonni cooper . I thought I'd read either Pawn or Symbols By Majiss larson or another Startrek novel.

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah. Sorry. I'll see myself out. ><

15. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Doctor Who And The Crusaders last night, and it isn't a bad read. There is plenty of old-style adventure to be had with this one, something the Classic series of Doctor Who excelled at, especially in the black-and-white era. The book almost reads like one of the better pulp novels from the early 20th century, and in my opinion that isn't a bad thing. Ian and Barbara's romantic relationship, which Whitaker had teased in his novel of The Daleks, is taken further here. I liked that, because I'd always wondered about those two. Does that make me a shipper? :)

In addition, I've also been checking out the comic series Sandman Mystery Theatre. It isn't bad so far. And I'm still working through A Clash of Kings. Only about 250 pages to go...Why does it feel like such a slog all of a sudden?

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

re-reading Reap the Whirlwind

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brain. I recently finished The Wal-Mart Effect.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Me too :)

19. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was planning to open the review thread for Reap next week-ish, good timing.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished reading The 4400: Welcome to Promise City the first of the two post finale novels. Really enjoyed it, it was a great continuation of the series that (IMO at least) felt like it could have been an arc of episodes from a 5th season. My score: 4/5.
    I decided to go ahead and start the second one, Promises Broken. I believe this one ties up most of the story lines left over from the show. I can't wait to see how it ties things up.