Brad Bird considered for 'Mission: Impossible IV'

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dusty Ayres, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

I'm not saying he can't do both, I just don't think that he wants to do The Incredibles anymore-which is what everybody wants to see.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he can, but every time he's doing a live-action movie, that's time not spent on an animation movie.

Isaac Newton spent quite a lot of time researching alchemy. He was one of the most brilliant minds of the 17th-18th Century. Had he not wasted his time with that nonsense, who knows how much more he could have brought to the history of science?

Or, if you want other parallels, Michael Jordan/baseball, Elvis Presley/acting, Rimbaud/commerce.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^It's all cinema to me. As long as Bird is making good movies, that's what important.

I think your argument is basically a reverse form of the argument that directors of animated movies can't do 'real' movies. I disagree with both positions.

4. The Mirrorball Man

It's not. I'm sure Brad Bird can do good live-action movies. It's not a matter of what he can and can't do. I'm just saying that while he'll be directing Mission: Impossible IV or any other live-action film, the only thing we'll get is one more average-to-good director, while we'll lose one great-to-fantastic animation director. I think it's a shame.

5. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Who is to say he won't be a great-to-fantastic live action director?

6. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't care who's doing it.

I have never seen an MI film after one viewing of the first one, where we were clearly in an alternate universe.

Mr. Phelps would NEVER go traitor. That was an abomination to the fanbase.

7. The Mirrorball Man

Maybe he will.

8. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

I'm sorry to have to bust your bubble, but:

*A paraphrase of (and based on) this post about Star Trek by Sector 7

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Well, of course it was an alternate universe. It was a remake, not a sequel. By definition, remakes are set in alternate universes.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they had just had Cruise play Phelps, a lot of the fanboy anger could've been avoided. Tom Cruise as Phelps, Ving Rhames as Barney, maybe Jon Voight could've been Briggs instead.

11. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

Was reading about this earlier today. It could be interesting, I have faith in Bird. The other choices I heard rumored too were really cool, I especially like Edgar Wright, I think that could be awesome.

Glad to see Abrams is still attached as the EP though.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the choice for directors is hindered by the fact that this is still J.J. Abrams' baby. The first three movies had their own director with their own story ideas and directing styles. This movie was built from the ground up by Abrams, so it'll be more like a director-for-hire.