The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Can't we all just be happy that there's no bat-nipples or one-line catchphrases well suited for trailer teases?

;)

2. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe people will think I'm going blind or something, but... I didn't think he had particularly thick eyelashes or eyeliner.

:shrug:

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Well, Magneto had a very good reason for his helmet (to keep Charles out). ;)

To be honest, I never noticed either from Suddenly Susan to Lost to The Dark Knight until people were bitching about it in this thread. I paid close attention during my second viewing and I sort of see it...

Frankly, I think people just like to find things to complain about, no matter how excellent a movie (or a show) is. ;)

4. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only brought it up because of the eyeliner-deniers, who make me giggle. Can't quite figure out why they find the idea of an actor wearing makeup worth arguing over.

5. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

And both films have quite a ways to go before they catch up with Indy's worldwide box office gross, which is just shy of $770 million at last checking.

6. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

BTW Script Book confirms that Harvey Dent is definitely dead and the two cops he killed is still unknown. Detective Wuertz in the bar and...?

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that was kind of an extreme example I was using to make a point; certainly Begins wasn't quite as gritty and real as French Connection.

But still, even the slightly wackier plot points you mention still felt pretty grounded in the movie to me (the only one that really felt out of place was the microwave device at the end of Begins).

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Am going to see this movie in about 6 hours, I cannot wait :drool:

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't care if an actor wears make up or not (hell, Eddie Izzard is my favorite comedian), but I do care about the truth. If it turns out that Carbonell does wear eyeliner, then no big whoop. However, I have never seen any evidence to support that, rather that he just has thick eyelashes or something else going on.

10. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Likely answer: Nestor Carbonell has thick distinctive eyelashes, its his defining feature. As his defining feature - his trademark if you will - he always wears eyeliner for emphasis.

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ My question is who the hell cares if he wears eyeliner or not? Most actors wear makeup of some kind.

12. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie has been out for a whole 11 days; just about the point where substantive discussion descends into minutiae and nitpick territory. I was just about to point out that the tread on Batman's boots didn't look like they had the grip to do the wall scaling seen in the film.

More seriously, I usually don't care. But when his face appeared before me all of twenty feet tall, I was a bit distracted by it.

13. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

15. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

THANK YOU!

In fact, you can pretty much guarantee that anyone who appears on camera for a professional shoot of any kind wears makeup, which generally includes eyeliner/masquera.

Sometimes I think some of the folks who "contribute" to these thread must think that the footage from all the movies they watch is captured "live" by some intrepid TV news crew.

"What! You mean they're ACTING! From a SCRIPT!"

Sheesh. :lol:

16. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

Am I the only one who didn't notice that he had dark eyes? The think that bothered me most about him was that he reminded me of Nathan Petrelli. :p

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Wow and easily TDK is the GODFATHER of all Comic book movies...

I am a little tired so won't go into massive detail but the movie was so well done from the pacing of the movie, the dark Joker worked out fantastic and Heath does warrant a Oscar nod. I love the twists with Gordon and Rachel plus Harvey Dent was amazing and after seeing Spiderman 3 struggle with having more than one enemy, Nolan pulled off a Joker/Two Face plot almost perfectly.

To be honest a small part of me wished that Dent/Two Face carried over into a 3rd movie with The Joker having a camo but it all worked fine and set up the great final moments with Batman truly on his own. I never thought a comic book movie could be written with such a serious and realistic tone to it and match almost any movie written in Hollywood history.

I hope there is a 3rd one since Bale did sign a 3 film package but it will depend on Nolan but will the 3rd one be called...The Caped Crusader ?cause I can't think of many titles though I think the perfect name for a 3rd & final movie would be simply...

Batman.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Just seen it - it was great!

19. NCC1701

NCC1701 Commodore Commodore

I saw The Dark Knight on Saturday afternoon - after watching Batman Begins beforehand of course - and I must say it came across quite average after all the expectations I had of it. It just felt off, for lack of a better word, after Batman Begins, with which I clicked right away three years ago - hell, BB is my favourite comic-book movie! Maybe I'll feel differently when I buy TDK on DVD at the end of the year - yes, I am that much of a BB fan - but for now it gets a big 'meh' from me. A shame, really, I hoped there would finally be a comic book movie to better the first Nolan Batman film :(

20. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

AHHHM NOHTH WEAAARGHIIN HOCHKEY PAAANTHSHS