Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Mine does the same. I get fullscreen (16:9) for the SD promos and 4:3 for the HD episodes. There may be something that could be (re)set, but it doesn't really bother me.

As far as my nitpicks, I watched The Last Outpost last night and it looks like one scene out of the episode isn't in true HD and appears to be upconverted SD. The scene is immediately following the away team's transport to the planet where Riker is separated from the group. The part where he yells "anybooooddddyyyyy" and is on the ledge overlooking the canyon looks "fuzzy". Did anyone else notice this, or is it only me?

2. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could just be the quality of the effects shot. I've noticed scenes here and there that look "grainy," or "filmy." Doesn't bother me much.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That was discussed in the other thread. I believe the shot was created by shooting in widescreen and then pan-and-scanning the image in post-production, which accounts for the reduced image quality.

4. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You also could have a way of adjusting your speakers to compensate for any lag or delay.

5. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know my BluRay player has a AV Sync setting that allows you to adjust the audio and video synchronization by a second or two, I have a Sony btw.

6. senten

senten Ensign Red Shirt

I think I can explain this. The SD promos are stored on the disc in 480p (720x480). This is a 4:3 resolution. Your TV detects this and stretches/zooms/whatever to 16:9.

For the episodes themselves, the files are 1080p, and the resolution is 1920x1080. This is 16:9. The left and right of the image have black bars. (See here: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/exclusive_images/Farpoint/Farpoint15.jpg ) Most TV's will see the content as being 16:9 (which it is, technically) and not alter it. The black bars on the left and right are stored as part of the video image itself.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, I've noticed that on some scenes also. I also noticed the same issue in Code of Honor, when Yar is showing the holodeck to Lutan. If I remember right, it's just at the start of the scene where they walk onto the holodeck. Seems to have much less detail than normal. Just for a few seconds, the camera shot changes then and it's back to normal detail.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, maybe I shouldn't double post, but there's an issue with the audio on my setup on episode 11, Haven. (Seems to be seperate from the previously reported issues). From 28 minutes on, there's a noticeable echo on the audio. Anyone else notice this?

7. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm watching "Haven" right now and wow that echoing sound in the 7.1 Soundoption that starts when the Holodeckscence begins is really annoying. I had to switch to the stereo sound. It's really sad that this great set is being brought down by these sound issues so much.

8. trekker670

I'm not sure if I'm just crazy, but I've noticed a few times while watching episodes where there are bluescreen shots (for example, Picard standing in front the viewscreen on the bridge or Data sitting in front on the conference room windows) that their outlines look to have been softened as if to hide some of the overfill from the bluescreen and/or cover up mistakes in the rotoscoping. It does make the VFX shots stand out a bit more, but it's not a big deal for me, it's just something I've noticed and wanted to see if anyone else had as well.

9. trekker670

10. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

That makes perfect sense. Thanks! :techman:

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm doing the same one-a-day thing too.

One other thing I really liked in Last Outpost was the conference room scene, where they attempted to show the light from the sun moving across the room over time.

It's a shame they didn't continue to do that, because it really gave a sense that this was a real ship in space and not just a studio set.

12. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Update from Digital Bits

All right, I do have a quick update for you today on the Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray 7.1 audio issue. CBS has investigated, they're in the process of correcting the problem and we expect to have an official statement from them very soon on how they're going to handle it with consumers.

Now... here's something important: For those of you who may be experiencing audio sync issues with the Dolby Digital audio on the extra features on the TNG BDs, check your Blu-ray player settings. Some people are reporting problems and others aren't. It appears NOT to be a player model issue or an actual problem on the discs, but rather inconsistencies in the way people have their players setup. I've done some experiments with our demo system here at The Bits, and essentially what's happening is the more work your Blu-ray player is having to do in terms of processing the video and the audio signal, the more delay between audio and video appears when watching the extras. So if you have a very good display, set your player simply to deliver the video signal without extra processing and let your display do all the work of video processing. Conversely, if you have a high-end A/V receiver, let the receiver do all the heavy-lifting with the audio decoding. In our test system, sure enough when we overworked the player (two different models - Oppo and Panasonic) a significant audio delay appeared. When we restored the proper settings, the problem cleared up. Give that a shot and spread the word when you hear others having similar problems with audio sync on the extras. That at least is NOT a problem with the discs. I should note that setting your player settings in this manner is just a good idea in general - after all, the reason you buy high-quality displays (flat screens or projectors) and A/V receivers is that they have the extra muscle to do the work in delivering the reference video and audio quality you want.

13. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't really understand the second part of the message on the Bits. My A/V set is pretty normal. It works for 99,9% of the titles I play on it. Furthermore, both the video and audio is fed into my receiver to minimise delay. I shouldn't be having the problems, so it must be a fault on the discs.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sounds like CBS is trying to minimize the public backlash by blaming some issues on equipment.

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Indeed, and while it may very well solve the issue in most cases it doesn't explain why the people experiencing it have not had the same problem with other Blurays. What did CBS do differently in the authoring process to make these Blurays so much more resource intensive than all the others out there?

In any case, I'm extremely happy to hear that they are correcting the major issues and look forward to getting corrected discs. My set will be delivered on Tuesday.

16. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't get the second part, I dont have to adjust any settings for any of my other blu rays. I am watching the extras on disc 1, and the voice is slightly out of sync with the picture.

I think the Bit's second piece of advice is a load of crap

-Chris

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not a problem for everyone, so it's not a problem with the discs. And they were able to reproduce player settings causing the problem to appear.

It sounds like a well-reasoned evaluation of the situation, not "a load of crap".

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

19. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I certainly hope they've done a thorough testing now of all the audio. How could they do that in 3 days? The Bits previously only mentioned the LCR mixing errors, but not the other audio problems noted by many on other episodes. I sure hope they've covered everything.

Doug

20. LastRideOut

LastRideOut Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The .srt subtitles can be found here now.

http://subscene.com/subtitles/star-trek-the-next-generation-first-season/english/605439

I did notice that the "Naked Now" subtitles (both the blu-ray subtitle and the .srt file) are delayed slightly, by 500 milliseconds. I've corrected it in my own .srt file that is muxed into that episode, but the subscene .srt is unaltered, and original.