Spoilers DTI: Watching the Clock by C. L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Apr 18, 2011.

?

Rate DTI: Watching The Clock

1. Outstanding

100 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Above Average

44 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Average

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Sheesh, a simple yes or no will do, no need for attitude.

2. Lanny77

Lanny77 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I picked up a copy of this yesterday, and having now read it cover to cover, it's now one of my favorite pieces of literature. I especially love the dynamic between Garcia and Ranjea as well as minor characters like Elfiki and the Walter Bishop-esqe Professor Vard.

My one complaint though is the sheer complexity of some of the ideas trying to be conveyed. I understand temporal mechanics and time travel are pretty damn complex subjects but a little more.... simplification of some might have come in handy. I understand Christopher put a lot of work into researching the theories behind these but I found many idea ideas to be far too complex to even begin to wrapping my head around, making parts confusing and less enjoyable. I'm not asking for the theories to be sliced and diced simply for my benefit, but a few simple analogies every now and then would be far more effective at conveying some of these ideas

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

yeah, I momentarily forgot. Still it would have been nice, though extremely obscure, to get a Voyagers! shoutout. :lol:

4. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Clearly, it's a reference to something from a story that hasn't been written yet. When Christopher Bennett researches time-travel, he really does his homework. ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Christopher I finally have started DTI and once again sir I tip my hat to your skills as a writer. I'm loving the book so far. This will probably take me a couple days to get through but already I'm enthralled as I am with most of your novels.

6. Admiral_Young

Not sure why I can't edit my above post but anyways close to finishing this and I have to say this was well worth the wait and Christopher has managed to not disappoint me with any of his novels. The size and scope of this book is immense not to mention the content as mentioned before would probably be intimidating and slightly overwhelming to tackle for even the most well read people but I found the author's knack for writing scientific related material works exceptionally well in this book and at no time did I feel confused or intimidated by the material.

I loved the characters. The DTI it's self is a fascinating complex operations branch of the Federation. I also loved all the references as well (gonna have to check out the annotations). Christopher I don't know if you would be interested but I think you would be absolutely fantastic at writing a "Doctor Who" novel.

I eagerly await the Kirk era "origins" novel coming out next year. I suspect that if it's anywhere as good as this book was then I shan't be disappointed. Well done again sir.

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

AY So would you recommend this to a friend?

8. Admiral_Young

I would indeed. It's pretty self contained so you really don't have to read anything else to be familiar with it. The main characters were introduced in the Deep Space Nine episode "Trials and Tribble-ations".

9. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My Review:

I really enjoyed the overall concept and most of the character development in Watching The Clock. Dulmur and Luclsy were the highlight of the novel, in my opinion, and Luclsy's 'time-savant' nature was a very interesting way to make him a unique character. Now, Dulmur and Luclsy may deal with causality loops and paradoxes instead of murders and assaults, but they really are a police duo at heart, and the dynamic between them was natural, realistic, and entertaining.

I also loved the concept of the 'time-tunnel'...it could easily have become a deus ex machina by its very nature, but the way it was limited meant that the problems involved with it could not be hand-waved away, and the way the characters had to learn to deal with that was entertaining and interesting. I also enjoyed seeing the rivalry between the uptime and downtime factions, with Jena Noi and Juel Ducane and everyone else - and the mysterious Aegis really got my imagination flowing.

One part that was slightly annoying was that at times it seemed the story was bending over backwards to name drop notable Trek episodes involving time travel and to have every single time travel paradox/circumstance in the book take place at one point or another.

Also, the sexuality in the story was unnecessary and was actually jarring at times - the story was developing and timey-wimey things were happening and then out of nowhere, 'Time to be reminded that Ranjea's Deltan!' Five pages later 'Look, Ranjea's still Deltan! He's irresistible and sensual.' Five more pages and...well, you get the idea. Sure, he's Deltan...but that didn't need to be blatantly stated every five pages.

All in all, I give Watching The Clock 3 out of 5. Enjoyable story, cool concepts, decent execution. You are an excellent writer, Christopher, and I really enjoy reading your work.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad that the Lucsly-Dulmur pairing and the Axis of Time worked for you. I don't agree that the sexuality was "unnecessary"; if one is going to tell a story about a Deltan, it's something that pretty much needs to be included as integral to the character, just as you'd deal with logic when writing about a Vulcan or profit when writing about a Ferengi. And I'd say a focus on the Deltans is long overdue.

11. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is your story...and that is a fair point, but it's really not a culture I'm interested in. Just my perspective...and my review wouldn't have been complete if I hadn't included the points I didn't enjoy. In any case, Dulmur and Luclsy are awesome and I would love to read more of them!

12. Christopher

They will be seen in the frame story of Forgotten History, a novel about the origins of the DTI in the era of TOS/ST:TMP.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

finished this today after finally starting it Monday.

i love it. i love time travel stories anyway, but this is like christmases all at once. the Doctor Who quote made me like it straight away, but it got better and better.

MORE!

best Trek novel i've read this year (so far). sorry, David.

14. Admiral_Young

I'd go so far as to say that it's the best Trek novel I've read in the last couple of years. It's that good.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Seconded! :techman:

I renew my call for an audiobook read by Jack Blessing and James Jansen. :)

16. Admiral_Young

^ That would be outstanding.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christopher, awesome book! One of the best Trek-books I've ever read. Loved how you tied everything together about the Temporal Cold War, loved the characters, loved the story structure. Everything about it was great and thanks so much for finally answering all the questions Enterprise left hanging for the last half-decade.

18. Christopher

^Thanks!

19. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Another outstanding for me. Loved the way everything was so gracefully tied together, and rather appreciated the interpretation of the 29th century TIC (and the implied evolution). I never liked the whole 'arrested for crimes you're going to commit' angle, so was pleased to see this tackled the way it was.

I hope we see the DTI again. :)

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

We will. Christopher is writing another one, which is supposedly set during Kirk's second five-year mission. It's called Forgotten History and is supposed to be out in late April/early May 2012. He even mentioned that the framing story will be set in the 24th century and feature Dulmer and Lucsly :)