Dear Experienced Trekkies

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by TribbleFeeder, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

So I'm brand new to the realm of Star Trek, I just recently watched the Star Trek (2009) a couple weeks ago and I loved it. I wanted to know what was the best way to get into the Movies/Series, and what I should start with.

2. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

I suggest you start with some of the better episodes of TOS and TNG, and then continue with whichever series you prefer (note that the first two seasons of TNG are bad). DS9 and VOY can be enjoyed without much knowledge of TNG and TOS, but DS9 is serialized in its later seasons and its pilot (it's important to watch it before the later episodes) references certain events in TNG and has an appearance by Picard (the Captain in TNG). And don't watch ENT Season 4 before TOS.

3. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Well, you might want to start with TOS...get into TNG...and so forth...DS9, VOY, ENT....

As you look over the boards, there are a wide range of tastes....and you may find that there are various episodes and series(or even certain episodes in certain series) that appeal to you.

Yes, you may find that some episodes (and even series) that will be considered 'bad' by some, and 'good' by others...but the most important thing is what you personally like.

Have fun!!!

4. Rek

Rek Commander Red Shirt

If you're not into older graphics and sets then I'd recommend starting Deep Space Nine. Watch it from start to finish.

If you don't mind older sets and such(I don't like them but the re-done ones arn't bad, and I like TNG but it seems so dull now compared to DS9), then as the others have said, TOS >TNG >DS9 > VOY> ENT

The movies are for flashy stuff and ooing over or spewing over(:barf:). I wouldn't recommend watching any unless you are just watching them for fun - not for adding onto any storyline or character development. Others may not agree but thats my opinion.

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Start at the beginning: TOS, season 1. As it was meant to be.

Watch "Where No Man Has Gone Before" first. It's the pilot episode, but it's not first on the disk due to the order they aired it in 1966. But it should be watched first because of obvious cast and design changes.

6. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

The natural progression is TOS-TOS movies-TNG-DS9-TNG movies-Voyager, then Enterprise..after all you've started with the NuTrek verse.. just remember, each series has it's inconsistencies..really just have FUN..and be vocal on the boards about the episodes and series you like and dislike...

And have a thick skin...

Some here do try to voice their opinions loud and often...

7. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since you've watched Star Trek 2009, you'd probably be most interested in watching the original series, because it features the same characters (and you'll find it interesting to see differences as well as similarities between the original and the 'alternate universe' versions of characters). Also, TOS season 1 has a lot of great episodes, with an occasional clunker, while season 2 is weaker, and season 3 is much weaker, so starting with season 1 of TOS seems like a good idea. (It's the opposite with most other Trek shows - TNG, DS9 and ENT all had weaker starts and needed a couple of seasons to get consistently good. VOY starts so-so, peaks in the middle seasons, and has very weak last 2 seasons.) However, if you have a problem with outdated 1960s effect, sets and makeup, maybe you should get remastered versions of TOS episodes. It doesn't matter in which order you watch TOS episodes, since the show wasn't serialized at all. You don't even need to watch all the episodes, and you could ask people here to give you lists of good episodes to watch. There are quite a few bad ones you could skip, unless you find out that you like the show so much you want to see them all.

The movies were made much later and they have better effects and makeup (except for Star Trek V - my advice is to avoid that one, it's awful in every way). Opinions on the first movie (Star Trek: The Motion Picture) are very divided, and it is certainly a bit too slow, but you need to see it IMO at least for Spock's character development. The second one - The Wrath of Khan - was very successful and is regarded by many as the best Trek movie. I'd recommend seeing all the movies with the TOS cast, except for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, but keep in mind that Star Trek: The Motion Picture is not representative of the rest of the movies. (TOS cast members pop up in a few episodes of other series.)

With the other shows, as I said, the problem is that they tend to start slow. TNG had an especially bad season 1 and almost as bad season 2 (though with an occasional great episode like A Measure of A Man), so you might want a list of episodes from the early seasons you need to see. From season 3 onward it gets really good, it almost feels like a completely different show (though season 7 was weaker).

DS9 is my favorite, but, as noted above, its pilot refers to some events from TNG (seasons 3-4), so watching it would spoil some of the crucial events from that show. If you are into serialized, character-driven shows like Battlestar Galactica, Lost, etc., you might particularly enjoy it. It is different from the usual Trek format since it doesn't take place on a ship but on a space station. It is not as serialized as the shows I mentioned above, but it's far more serialized than the other Treks, so you can't start watching it in the middle. The problem is that the show doesn't get consistent until about season 4, though there are many great episodes in the first 3 seasons, many crucial developments and great character moments. It gets very frustrating at times in early seasons, since you'll get to see a great episode followed by a weak one. If you like DS9 in early seasons, you'll certainly love seasons 4-7, if you don't like the early seasons, you might still love the late seasons, which feature more action and suspense.

As for ENT, while it's the newest show, it is a prequel to TOS. You need to watch it from the beginning to get to know the characters, but if you dislike seasons 1 and 2, which are rather weak (especially season 2), you might still love seasons 3 and 4. Season 3 is one long storyarc and has good action and effects; while season 4 heavily references TOS, introducing and setting up some things that would happen in it, and while it can be seen without having seen TOS, it better to watch it after TOS. (It also references some things from the other shows, but that would not be such an issue.)

8. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

This is great advice. ENJOY! And welcome to the BBS! :)

9. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely keep all of that in mind!

I'll probably get through all of it at some point, but I'll definitely keep that in mind about that movies hahaha.

great advice! this is definitely what I'm going to start with. :)

thanks so much, I'll definitely beware of that and post as I watch them.

wow, that really helped! I'm definitely going to look for the remastered version of TOS, since I'll be going from 2009 to the 60s hahah.
    also it's nice to see someone comparing it to Lost, being such a fan of that show. It makes me a lot more excited to start watching!

thanks!!

10. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I respectfully disagree. :p

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is a masterpiece. ST IV: The Voyage Home is fun. ST VI: The Undiscovered Country is dark, but yet very, very good. And Star Trek: First Contact is great as well. First Contact is a "Next Generation" movie... I guess as long as you know that there were several crews and not just Kirk, Spock, etc.

And please remember that the new movie established a new timeline and wont be consistent with the shows or movies. Still, by all means, watch them, just know that they will be different. (*Note* I believe you can still watch all of The Original Series episodes for free at CBS.com). I only bring attention to that because I had a couple of friends who aren't Trekkies that were confused as to what they were doing with the movie. :)

11. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Listen to me. If you want to get into the movie series I suggest you watch Daffy Duck.

12. Rek

Rek Commander Red Shirt

The TOS ones were maybe good. Like I said I personally don't like older sets and older graphics.

To add more onto what I said, I find the movies lack anything that would add to the Star Trek continuity(TNG/NuTrek). I know all Star Trek has its flaws and don't always follow timlines etc. but the movies really, really lack anything that is note worthy IMO. Lost opportunitiee...

NuTrek, may or not be connected to TOS(People still debate whether Future Spock was TOS spock, meaning it might effect our "known timeline"), but I sure hope it doesn't because it does nothing constructive at all for Star Trek.

13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Watch The Wrath of Khan. Star Trek (2009) references it pretty extensively, and you'll understand where all that no win scenario/"have been and always shall be your friend" business comes from. Plus it can be argued that the bad-boy Kirk persona used in the new movie got its start there.

14. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

I had a problem getting past the old cheesy 1960s sets when I was a new Trek fan. So I wouldn't recommend watching the Original Series (Remastered) unless you have an affinity for 1960s or classic television shows.

My Recommendation After Watching Star Trek 2009....

1. Star Trek lV: The Voyage Home (The Movie)
    2. Star Trek Vl: The Undiscovered Country (The Movie)
    3. Star Trek: First Contact (The Movie)
    3. Deep Space Nine Season 3 Cliffhanger (episode title "Adversary")
    4. Deep Space Nine Season's 4-7
    5. Voyager pilot episode (episode title "Caretaker")
    6. Voyager Season 3 Cliffhanger (episode title "Scorpion Part l")
    7. Voyager Season's 4-7

Side Note 1:

Well, here are some trailers from the above list to give you an idea...

VOYAGE HOME TRAILER:
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/star-trek-iv-the-voyage-home/trailer

UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY TRAILER:
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/star-trek-vi-the-undiscovered-country/trailer

FIRST CONTACT TRAILER:
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/star-trek-first-contact/trailer

DEEP SPACE NINE TRAILER:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4kebBWQfCM

VOYAGER TRAILER:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1PX9E2RsgU

Side Note 2:

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend starting at the beginning of any of the Star Trek films either. Star Trek: The Motion Picture can be viewed as slow and boring if you are not used to Star Trek. And Wrath of Khan takes a good 20 minutes before it picks up. Plus, it helps to know what happened in the Original Series episode, too.

Also, I don't recommend watching Star Trek: Enterprise the TV Series until you have watched the other series in their entirety. Enterprise has had the weakest character development, acting, and unexplained story lines ever. It also had a knack for raising serious question as to it's canon (i.e. validity or believability next to the other Trek series).

As for the Next Generation: I would watch Seasons 3-7 to start.

So your viewing order should look like this for all of Star Trek....

1. Star Trek lV: The Voyage Home (The Movie)
    2. Star Trek Vl: The Undiscovered Country (The Movie)
    3. Star Trek: First Contact (The Movie)
    3. Deep Space Nine Season 3 Cliffhanger (episode title "Adversary")
    4. Deep Space Nine Season's 4-7
    5. Voyager pilot episode (episode title "Caretaker")
    6. Voyager Season 3 Cliffhanger (episode title "Scorpion Part l")
    7. Voyager Season's 4-7

Then finish up your Trek viewing with....

1. Next Generation Season's 3-7
    2. Next Generation Season's 1-2 (could watch after Season's 3-7)
    3. Star Trek Movies 1-10 (Complete)
    4. Star Trek Deep Space Nine Season's 1-3 (could watch after Season's 4-7)
    5. Star Trek Voyager Season's 1-3 (could watch after Season's 4-7)
    6. Star Trek: The Original Series Season's 1-3 (New Remastered Version) (Enhanced Special Effects, Picture, & Sound)

Bonus Series (That are not perfect but entertaining):

1. Star Trek: Enterprise Season's 1-4 (Complete)
    2. Star Trek: The Animated Series (Complete)

Side Note 3:

Also. There is one more thing I would like to add: The best option in finding the episodes I mentioned (in the above list) when renting them from Netflix is to check out the detailed episode listing of each of the seasons. It is a feature you have to actively click on when checking out each of the TV series.

Anyways, I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,

~LS.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  15. RegFan

I agree with you in that Enterprise should be watched after finishing watching all other series. However, many people here, including me, have it as either their favorite or second favorite series, so do watch it. And I'd say Voyager is the series with the weakest character development. I recommend that you watch Enterprise in this order:
    1. Good episodes from the first two seasons (the pilot, The Andorian Incident, Shuttlepod One, Cogenitor, Regeneration to name a few) to get to know the characters
    2. The Xindi arc (Season 2 finale and the entire Season 3)
    3. Season 4 (Federation-building and lots of references to TOS and to a lesser extent, TNG)
    4. The rest of the first two seasons

I agree that if you don't like the first TOS episodes you watch, don't immediately continue. I don't like TOS either. It's just so '60s.

And the movies should be watched after the series, especially FC, because it requires some knowledge of TNG to fully understand the plot. I made the mistake of watching it before the episodes it references. Trust me, the movie was much better once I had watched those episodes.

It's a really good idea to watch Seasons 3-7 of TNG before the first two seasons. I couldn't agree more on that one.

I think the list depends a bit too much on personal preferences. It's really not necessary to watch VOY before TNG.

16. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Gah, so complicated. Start with Enterprise, then watch the rest of the episodes in the order in which they are set. Start with the bits set earliest and work your way up to the bits set latest. Chronological order, people!

17. RegFan

I wouldn't recommend watching Trek in chronological order to a new viewer. Besides, DS9 takes place simultaneously with the last two seasons of TNG and the first five seasons of VOY, so it wouldn't be that simple.

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Nah, even though its a prequel, I wouldn't watch ENT before TOS and the other shows.

My viewing order would be pretty much in production order:

TOS
    TAS
    Movies 1-6
    Star Trek TNG seasons 1-5
    Watch TNG season 6 and DS9 season one concurrently
    TNG S7 and DS9 S2 concurrently
    DS9 S3/VOY S1 concurrently (also include Generations in your viewing at this point)
    DS9 4/VOY 2 concurrently
    DS9 5/ VOY 3 concurrently (watch First Contact at this time, too)
    DS9 6/ VOY 4 concurrently
    DS9 7/ VOY 5 concurrently (also watch Insurrection somewhere around this point)
    VOY Seasons 6 and 7
    Star Trek Nemesis
    Enterprise
    Star Trek XI

:)

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I think you should just dip in where you fancy. None of the chronology listed above is important since the shows were all over the place regarding continuity.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Enterprise.
    It's the most modern of the series', so should be easiest for a newbie to get into. It's a prequel set 100 years before Kirk's time, on an earlier starship Enterprise.

Some of the episodes in the first two seasons were terrible, but there are several good ones too. The third season, a 26-part epic mission to prevent an attack on Earth is, IMO, the best season of Trek ever and is more than worth getting through the worst of the early ones. The forth season is very good, too.
    You don't have to have seen any other Treks beforehand (but you will have an occasional "eh?" moment, but if you stay on you'll get a few awesome "that's what he was talking about!" moments if you watch other series' and films). You already know who the Vulcans and Romulans are from STXI. That's all you need.

Any of the films work perfectly stand-alone. Even the ones that are sequels to episodes explain everything you need to know.

Enjoy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.