Thoughts about the 2009 Convention

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Borg7of7, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Borg7of7

Borg7of7 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My wife & I just returned from the annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas...Anyone else go? If so, any good stories? Do tell!

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went on Sunday. It was a good time. I liked watching Shatner call Nimoy a "WHORE!"

I also got a big kick out of the one girl who totally choked up talking to Quinto. I haven't seen that level of star-struck in a while. I'm surprised she didn't pass out when he hugged her!

3. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Please tell me someone has pictures!!!!

4. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My favorite part of that exchange was when Shatner went off into the synonyms, "Prostitute!" "Harlot!" and my favorite, "Rough Trade!"

Also Nimoy asking Shatner, "Why haven't you seen the movie yet? I went to see the movie that you were in that I wasn't."

5. darthspangler

darthspangler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This was my first Creation con and I had a great time! The only downside to the con was Thursday night, where I waited over 4 1/2 hours to get autographs from some of the stars. The autograph people seemed over their heads that night.

I mainly went to get Shatner and he was exactly how I expected. Energetic and funny in his audience talk, totally disinterested in his autograph and photo op lines. While autographing, he never looked up at you. The man was a machine! He must have signed 500 items in 90 minutes. I felt extremely fortunate to get a "You're welcome." from him when I said thanks for his autograph. Nimoy was the complete opposite. He at least acknowledged you when signing or doing the photo op.

6. darthspangler

I was pleased that the two music videos my best friend and I worked on won. We did the classic Star Trek monsters video set to The Cruxshadows song "Monsters" and the Spock video set to Leonard Nimoy's "Where is Love?".

7. Yeoman Randi

Thats nice to hear about Nimoy. :)

8. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This.

9. darthspangler

Zachary Quinto was also really cool. He would speak to you in both the autograph and photo ops lines. He gave out a lot of hugs to women in the photo ops line! Also, his signatures were great. Much better than the autographs I have seen Creation sell on their site. Guess when his autograph costs $60 he can put a little more effort into signing!

10. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This was the first convention for my wife and I (she posts here too...). We enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. I'm not generally a collector so no autographs or photos or anything for me. Nor did we go to spend money on paraphernalia. But we enjoyed talking with other convention goers, hearing the actors, looking at the amazing costumes, (one of which, I'm proud to say, was my wife's!), and enjoying the atmosphere.

11. B.C.

B.C. Lieutenant Red Shirt

This was my first ever ST convention. I had a blast, so did my girlfriend, who's not much of a Trek fan. The Roddenberry party on Thursday night was great, same with the get-together Sunday evening at Space Quest. We only went to the actual convention on Sunday. I'll be back next year for sure!

I put together a group pool on Flickr if you'd like to check out all the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/startrekvegas09/pool/

If you're on Flickr, feel free to join the group and contribute to the photo pool!

12. borg3060

borg3060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've posted some of my photos in the above Flickr group. I have the rest on my Myspace page (see my profile here for the link).

Despite the absence of The Experience :-( I still had LOTS of fun at this year's convention. I came with my daughter and we posed for lots of photos with other fans (I was Data for two days and Lore for one) and she was a toddler 7 of 9, a Borg toddler, and toddler Lal. Other hightlights: we had a sketch of us drawn by David Reddick; my music video entry was played on Sunday morning (a Spock/Uhura celebration to the tune of "Communication Breakdown"); and my daughter and I took third place in the costume contest on Saturday! We were also interviewed twice on the local Fox news, and we got interviewed for a documentary about Star Trek fans. I can't wait for next year! :-)

13. Yeoman Randi

^ How fun is that!!!! Gonna go check out the photos now... thanks for posting them guys!