Is anyone else sick of the junk coming out of both Marvel and DC?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turbo, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I've just about had it with both Marvel and DC right now. Both companies have a couple good titles, but have gotten so wrapped up in trying to top both each other and themselves with each new crisis and crossover that most of the main titles from each has turned into a steaming pile of crap.

On the Marvel side, Civil War was actually fairly well-handled, even if the concept was dumb. But Secret Invasion has been a total mess from the start. I still can't make heads or tails of it, and feel like I'm missing half of what's going on. New Avengers' constant flashbacks and side-stories are beyond frustrating. And One More Day/Brand New Day is the worst Spider-Man story of the past few years. I simply don't understand why they felt the need to retcon the marriage. How about allowing Spidey to have some actual character development? X-Men: Messiah Complex was rather convoluted as well, though the aftermath (primarily the new direction of Astonishing X-Men) is pretty good.

Despite its flaws, Marvel has produced a few good comics - Captain America, Astonishing X-Men, New Exiles, and Amazing Spider-Girl.

DC, on the other hand, has been thoroughly awful for several years now. Boring characterization, insipid plots, and increasingly "epic" crossovers are rampant. Infinite Crisis demolished pretty much everything that was good with Crisis on Infinite Earths. Superboy-Prime comes across as rather silly, and Alexander Luthor's reasons for restoring the multiverse were never clear (to me, at least). But that doesn't compare to Final Crisis. I still don't understand what the hell is going on. It's poorly conceived, poorly written, and has even more pointless tie-ins than Secret Invasion.

The whole DC universe has become far too convoluted. It needs to be reset, as the creators attempted to do with CoIE. But instead of phasing in the resets, they need to happen in the same month in every book. They also need to decide if they want a Multiverse or not. And finally, stop with the forever epic crossovers. I want to read some stories with good, consistent characters, not 3-issue arcs in between the endless epic tie-ins.

Sorry if this is rambling nonsense to everyone else, but it's pretty much how I feel about it right now.

2. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not even reading anything by DC or Marvel since DC shunned "The Boys" and Garth Ennis stopped doing "The Punisher"

3. Ghel

Ghel Captain Captain

I couldn't tell ya. Although I like some of the films, I have never gotten into the comics themselves. I think the main reason for this is because you have to buy two comics to get one story as each comic only has an end and a different beginning.

Even as a kid, I thought this was evil marketing. "You bought a comic? Screw you, go buy another and then you'll have a whole story!"

4. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I stopped reading Marvel after they turned Iron Man into a villain.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Call me out of touch, but I just read the old stuff...back when they treated these characters with greater respect.

6. General Kang

General Kang Commodore Commodore

I am with you - there's thousands of back issues and old stories out there that I haven't read from the late 1980s and earlier, and they are actually cheaper in most cases (even at the comics store in the stacks) than new books are.

7. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I stopped my 40-year hobby of buying comics this summer. I just couldn't justify the expense for the entertainment value.

8. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a couple of one off exceptions I stopped reading the regular Marvel U eons ago. And after reading all the titles in rebooted Ultimate Universe and its (for now) drastically pared down continuity, it's doubtful I'll pick up with the 616 again.

DC's a bit of a mess, granted. While some of their big events I enjoyed (52) and others far less so (Countdown and Final Crisis) I seem to have more patience for their mistakes. Some titles, such as Trinity, Checkmate and the current Justice Society run, I think are quite good. Justice League, on the other hand, while not bad is not hitting its marks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  9. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

A lot of the recent storylines have interested me when I'd read about them in Wizard or on articles on websites, for example Civil War, World War: Hulk and Secret Invasion all seemed like great ideas to me. However, in practice, they've all stunk and been chores to read.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

The problem with all of these is that they build themselves up as these universe-altering events and in the end there's little to no payoff. In truth, I don't think Marvel's cross-over events have ever been done too well, but these days they seem to be hyped up to such a large degree that the disappointment is more noticeable.

11. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just can't get into these huge events with all kinds of tie-ins and side-stories anymore. I end up reading mini-series and try to find good, self-contained stories on the outskirts or even outside the 'main' continuity.

12. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

Yeah, I'm really sick of the crossovers and "epic" crap. I thought to myself "Identity Crisis...well, let them get through that, then maybe we'll get some good standalone stories."

Nope. Because then we had Infinite Crisis. And Final Crisis. And 52. And it just keeps going and going and going...

These publishers have some great characters - both heroes, and villains. If they want to do crossovers, fine. But some of the flagship titles (at least one for each major character) should devote themselves to standalone stories - or multi-part stories that don't have more than 2 or 3 parts. (You want to do 6-part, 180 page stories? Fine. Release it as a graphic novel. Don't ruin a comic book line and obligate a reader to pick up 6 issues for a story that can be told in 3, and don't make it hard for new subscribers to jump in, because they start with part 4 of a 6 part storyline and don't get anything INTERESTING to them until the 4th issue of their subscription.).

Seriously, they aren't taking advantage of the story potential of these characters. How many people thought "I want to read some Batman comics" after seeing The Dark Knight? I know I considered buying a subscription then, one which I hadn't had for the last 10 years. Then I checked out what the next couple issues were going to be about - and it's all interconnected, massive crossover storylines that I don't care about.

How many other potentially new readers were turned off for the same reason?

I just want a good old-fashioned Detective story. Batman vs. Two-Face. or Batman takes on a new villain. Or Batman vs. Joker. Or Batman vs. Mad Hatter. Or SOMETHING.

But the main titles don't have that any more - it's either "Batman teams up with 6 other superheroes to save the universe from cosmic collapse" or "Batman fights every villain he knows in one weak mystery that takes 8 issues to tell."

When I was a kid, in the early 90s, the editor of "Batman" made us a promise - a minimum of a year of stories without crossovers, and no storylines longer than 3 issues. To this day, those stories are still the BEST monthly-title stories written - just Batman versus one or two villains at a time, with good mysteries and good writing.

If you want a good story, you have to go back to the classics - but there are only so many of those. And at some point, you want to stop re-reading the same stories, and read new stories instead.

But they just don't tell them anymore (or often enough - you get the odd graphic novel here and there, but this should be a monthly occurence!)

(I focused mostly on Batman in my post, but the same is true of all the other heroes - it's just Batman in particular that, for me, frustrates me).

13. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another thing is the primal lack of communication between writers. A while back, Red Skull appeared in one comic despite having been killed the same month in Cap. Yeah, he never stays dead. But the same month, with no *occurs before Cap#* inserted?

Another one was, of course, the IM editors not caring how Tony Stark was depicted in the pages of CW. I generally liked JMS Spidey stuff. But in the CW issues, Tony was this ravening fascist, and basically told Peter unmask or be outed. Then, to top it off, dialogue from a Spidey issue (They're never being released, Peter) that follows *directly* into a Main CW issue is altered between issues. Not just phrasing, mind you. But the same line, taken from the same scene (Only until they register, Peter. Then they'll be released). The first instance makes Iron Man completely corrupt, and the second makes you wonder what the hell has Spidey up in arms. No where is it said that Spidey's worries are making him hear things.

Finally, we go to Countdown to/Final Crisis. OK. Darkseid and all his cronies are humiliatingly killed while being hunted like dogs, some pleading for their skins. But Grant Morrison knew nothing of Starlin's series, or was allowed to act as such, because after their beat-down, the evil NG's were all reborn as mostly untouchable crime bosses who seem to have already won in the brief interval between events. Yeah, them and Beast Wars Megatron, because its well known that total defeat and humiliation puts you in the catbird's seat.

14. scorpius1701

scorpius1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Ultimate Marvel series all seem pretty good to me so far.

15. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

Hmm, I think Ultimate X-men took a crash dive with the Bishop/Cable/Apocalypse storyline. Otherwise I agree with those who've commented on too many 'events' and titles and not enough actual storyline. The artwork don't seem so hot recently either.
    Thankfully the movie adaptions have really taken off and seem to treat both characters and concepts much better.

16. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I stopped reading Marvel regularly about six months after X-Men #3 came out.

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

what, 1965-ish?

i love Ultimate Marvel. Ultimate Marvel is all that counts. :bolian:

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I am. Not only has the quality gone down but its tough to justify the cost vs value of comics anymore. The books are clearly priced at a point where they have long since been considered "throw away" entertainment. When one book costs $3-4 and any serious reader likely reads at least 6+ a month then the math starts to add up.
    At $20+ a month you can find more value for your dollar than what the comic industry is putting out for 22pgs.

I'm about down to just reading trades and then just picking them up at shows or sales to save some more.

The industry as we know it in the monthly printed format will be dead inside 10years. Not sure what form it'll take but the form its in, and has been in, is quickly becoming devalued.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I got back into comics a year ago, but they're so damn expensive I buy extremely few issues. It's better just to get the trades, particularly if you can sell them off online and make your money back.

I started off just with DC and I loved it. I enjoyed Infinite Crisis though I haven't read many of the tie-ins. I loved Sinestro Corps War, that's what dragged me back in.

But in the recent months I started getting Marvel trades, and now I'm much more excited about them. I'm enjoying Secret Invasion (I don't read the tie-ins) and I'm hating Final Crisis, which I thought I was going to absolutely love. SI is a nice straight forward epic, whilst FC is just bizarre and cerebral and "what-if?".

So I'm enjoying DC and Marvel at the moment, though each have differing strengths and weaknesses.

20. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

No. 1991-ish, when Claremont left after one too many arguments with the editor-in-chief. It only took them about six months to dismantle every storyline that had been going on for fifteen years. I didn't really care for the directions the other Marvel books were taking at the time either.

Same here. Every so often I read collected Spiderman trades, but I can't really get back into X-Men, Avengers, FF, or the rest.