ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

Wow. what a great interview. Thanks so much for taking the time and posting it. I'm really looking forward to the special features and the audio commentaries on the Blu-rays.

2. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

The original UPN trailers for Season 1? I have them. I found them on some video site that was up during the run of the show. Quality isn't great, but... Too late now anyway, I guess. :(

I was surprised to read that they didn't have them all. And very pleased to see how much they do have, that wasn't bulldozed or sold off after they killed the show. These extras are going to be great fun.

Wonderful interview at TrekCore, thank you. That VAM guy has the best job ever.

___

I've changed the thread title at ChristopherPike's request. Good idea, now that the release is almost upon us.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All the thanks should go to FrontierTrek. It's their series of articles. :)

Part I
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exclusive-roger-lay-jr-interview-part-i/

Part II
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exclusive-roger-lay-jr-interview-part-ii/

Part III
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exclusive-roger-lay-jr-interview-part-iii/

4. ChristopherPike

Cheers, HR. Not sure why it bothered me, but thought it worth mentioning.

Can't wait to finally see ENT in HD for the first time, having not long invested in a capable TV.

5. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I really feel that this blu-ray release needs my support. If I will buy just one blu-ray in April it will be Enterprise Season 1 (though I don't think I will buy just one blu-ray in April :D). Not only this interview made me want to support more the project, I'm looking forward to this release more than to TNG S3. I know, I'm strange. I don't care.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree with Roger - there's no such thing as too many commentaries! (Unless it's a budget issue, I guess.)

I love how there's commentary on something like 95% of the nuBSG episodes (if not all of them - I don't know if they caught up with early S1 for the DVDs). Same with Doctor Who S2-4. I wish more shows were like that.

7. ChristopherPike

Didn't Battlestar Galactica basically do all those audio commentaries at the time? For online purposes? Doctor Who (2005-2010) did much the same thing, with a repeat TV screening getting a three-handed discussion to listen to via BBCi red button. Those would just get transferred to DVD.

Star Trek was only dipping a toe into that back in 2005, when the official site provided commentaries for "In a Mirror, Darkly". A shame it got cancelled when it did, since they were just beginning to do that, with cast members recording special greetings and what not. Not to mention the huge amount of illegal torrenting that went on, before TV shows went online big time.

A different pattern is Classic Doctor Who, the earliest of which is 50 years and latest 17. But they get 99% audio commentaries, rounding up some main & guest cast members on a regular basis. But that's because their stories are released individually and presumably have profits to continually plough back. Kind of like "Best of Both Worlds" being the norm and only an hour and a half to two hours' worth of main feature per DVD release.

That level of special features laiden disc is pretty much unique. I can't imagine that with Star Trek. Like going back in time to the regular monthly VHS containing only 2 or 3 episodes. Sometimes buying a medicore show during the mid-to-late season lull. Even if they had unprecidented and comprehensive VAM packages, and non-stop cast/producer apologising on the audio track! :p

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Whoa:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exclusive-roger-lay-jr-interview-part-iii/

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True - those were bad examples. A better one would be Stargate - all of the SG1 DVDs have commentaries on every episode as well, from season 4 onwards; Atlantis doesn't have it on all of them, but by my count 92 out of 100 did. (Don't own Universe to compare.)

Also The Simpsons and Futurama do the same, I believe.

10. ChristopherPike

I know. That does sound awesome and I hate to sound ungrateful - that out of all the episodes it had to be "Vox Sola". But still, amazing and it can't all be Scott and Connor hanging about the cargo bay, debating Zefram Cochrane and water polo matches, covered in white goo. Beggers can't be chosers. Given the random nature of another show dropping by to follow the production of a single scene from script-to-screen, I'd have made it a bridge scene during a battle. Lots of acting and pyrotechnics.

Reminds me of that book, Star Trek Action by Terry J. Erdmann & Paula M. Block.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Another example would be The Twilight Zone, which has commentaries for nearly every episode (and many episodes have multiple commentaries).

12. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Glad everyone's enjoying it! Here is Part 4: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exclusive-roger-lay-jr-interview-part-iv/

Starts off with TNG, but some great Enterprise information from the midpoint, including: some horrific plans that studio execs wanted to push through on the show that Brannon & Rick resisted, covering network involvement in "The UPN Factor" and the new found freedom to be candid in the Blu-Rays.

13. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Roger talks about the change over from UPN to The CW in Season 4 and how it affected the show, wasn't Enterprise on UPN right up till the end, with The CW starting the year after it was cancelled?

14. ChristopherPike

It was. UPN lasted until 2006, I think. Probably a transition period, where UPN management were replaced by key players looking to be the new broom, determining what gets to stick around and be carried by the CW. For Enterprise to have run a full 7 seasons, it would have been picked up by them.

I wonder if they'll be able to interview CBS CEO Leslie Moonves (then instrumental in merging UPN with the WB), by the time they reach a Season 4 documentary? He was so upbeat about the ratings in Titan's Star Trek Magazine, immediately before the cancellation announcement on February 2, 2005.

When did the cast know for sure they wouldn't be continuing onto a Fifth Season? During the filming of "In a Mirror, Darkly"? Probably not the case, but it has a certain awful irony being on TOS sets...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  15. FrontierTrek

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

BTW all, I asked Burnett in a message if theyre working on a documentary about the unproduced 5th season of Enterprise and I believe it'll be in later Bluray sets.

RAMA

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I won't lie, I'm kinda excited about this blu-ray release. I'm not a huge ENT fan and I'm not sure that I want to spend much money on this, but they certainly are loading it up with enough goodies that it makes the box look more and more appealing.

18. ChristopherPike

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:Fantastic interview thanks for sharing it with us.It was neat to read about all the Enterprise footage we've never seen before.That will be included on the the dvds.

20. FrontierTrek