Spoilers VOY: Children of the Storm by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, May 23, 2011.

?

Rate Children Of The Storm.

1. Outstanding

72 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Above Average

44 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. Average

12 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Poor

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek: Voyager: Children Of The Storm Review Thread

I always remember it because I picture Hugh Laurie playing him (with his original British accent), and Cambridge is in England. He's one of my favorite novel-original characters.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I believe that was actually Kirsten Beyer's intention when she started writing the character.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I have just finished Children of the Storm. For everyone who's saying that they won't read Star Trek any more because of the dark turn it's taken recently - wars, conflicts, death on massive scale - I'd invite you to read this book. Put aside your blind hatred of non-Janeway fiction, too, those who have that viewpoint. Because for me, just one line in Children was enough to convince me:

"We met you with deadly force and you responded by giving us two great gifts," Gwyn replied. "We wish to continue to explore the possibilities you have created for us."

In my mind, this is the core principle of the Federation, and Children demonstrates it perfectly. You don't use force to get out of bad situations unless there's no other choice. Always strive for a peaceful solution, even if the other party has done nothing to deserve your help. Be the better man.

The conflict between O'Donnell and Fife demonstrated this in microcosm, but Eden's course of action - going against Chakotay, whose chosen strategy would probably have antagonised the Children further - cemented it. Children of the Storm isn't a novel about war and destruction, and I'm very pleased that Ms. Beyer didn't choose to make the Children into the next big antagonists for the Trek universe. It doesn't necessarily follow that with the Borg gone, there's a power vacuum that can only be filled by someone bigger and nastier than they were.

In short, I really enjoyed Children, and am now - for the first time! - fully caught up with one particular strand of TrekLit, which means that, like the rest of you, I'm very eagerly anticipating The Eternal Tide!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Agreed. I tolerate the VOY tv show but Beyer has made the books among the reads I anticipate the most. I especially enjoy Voyager and Titan because of the focus on exploration.

5. jjh19

jjh19 Ensign Newbie

It always seems like I’m 9-12 months behind on my Trek reading…

The plus is that I always enjoy coming to the TrekBBs Review threads after reading the books and seeing what the “Book Club” has been talking about.

I feel like I’m an echo of the overwhelming praise, but I wanted to make sure it was noted: Children of the Storm was a powerful, entertaining book. Outstanding. The characterizations were so spot on. And yet evolutionary for the core Voyager characters - Tom and Harry’s relationship salvaging, Chakotay continuing to deal with life after Janeway, Neelix in the DQ. All of these beats were rich and fulfilling to read.

And then there were the new characters on new ships. O’Donnell was the real star in “Children” for me. The final scene with Fife and O’Donnell planting together, with the “Child” accelerating the flower as they walked away, well… magnificent, emotion-filled writing that hit home for me.

The Voyager arc as written by Kirsten Beyer has taken over the “must-get, must-read” spot on my book shelf. More please.

Thank you Kirsten Beyer. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Re: VOY: Children of the Storm by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoiler

Great story:bolian: I voted Outstanding and I also gave Kristen my vote in the Unreality-Sf.net Story of the Year Award. I am looking forward to her next book The Eternal Tide.

7. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

CNash and jjh19,

I don't care that you're late to the party. I'm just glad you showed up. Thanks so much for your kind words about the book. They mean a great dealt to me.

and Patrick,

Many thanks for the praise and the vote. Made my day.

Best,
    Kirsten Beyer

8. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^No thanks necessary Kristen. Voyager is hands down some of the best Trek literature avaliable today. You are doing this series and its charachters a great service by continuing their story. Children of the Storm, was awesome and we all look forward to your next entry in the Voyager saga. I for one cannot wait:)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  9. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

I'm still in the middle of it, but I'm enjoying the characterisation and pacing.

Beyer has successfully carried on the atmosphere of surreal, mysterious threat established in Mack's novel.

The backstory device is used well.

As an aside, it is marvellous to have a Chakotay scene without twee pan pipes...

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

This might be the single most amazing thing about Beyer's books. Turning Chakotay into an interesting character was so far out of the realm of possibility that even the actor publicly talked about what a shitty, badly written character he was. The fact that she's made him a lead worth reading about is pretty remarkable.

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i never understood why Beltran didn't just quit if he thought the character was so shite.

i'd suppose it was "money, dear boy" as TV Tropes calls it...

12. Thrawn

As I understand it, the actors signed multi-year contracts. I'm not anywhere close to an expert on Hollywood legal documents, but I know something is going on now where Jennifer Lawrence is obligated to do the X-Men: First Class sequel, which is messing up the scheduling of filming the Hunger Games sequel, and I remember Patrick Stewart talking in an interview about signing a many-year contract but everyone assuring him that the show wouldn't last that long and he had nothing to worry about.

Perhaps it's just that Beltran signed a 7-year contract, and wasn't willing to go through the costly legal negotiations to break it. Shrug.

13. DAYoung

Agreed. Although Neelix still sticks in my literary craw.

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's that. And then, frankly, there's the fact that it is so incredibly difficult to make a living as an actor that I in no way would begrudge an actor who does a television series just for the money. That's the sort of money that, if you're careful, can basically set you up to live a middle class lifestyle for the rest of your life, even if you never work again. For people who struggle to get by in their chosen profession, that's nothing to sneeze at.

(Not saying Beltran did it for the money -- I'm saying I wouldn't blame him if he did.)

15. DAYoung

And even if the characterisation and plotting are weak, it's still hard work. Long days, continual pressure, and - in some cases - stifling costumes and make-up. This is to say nothing of the publicity (which is undoubtedly exhausting).

I'm not suggesting television work is like hard labour. But it certainly takes dedication and a certain amount of perseverance.

16. DAYoung

Just finished Beyer's Children of the Storm. Very nicely put together. I've already noted its virtues above.

One final thought: Beyer is clearly aware of the parent's divided heart, and puts it on the page clearly and with feeling, with Miral and her parents. I see Beyer is also a new parent, combining work (writing) with parenthood. Another 'up yours' to Cyril Connolly's 'pram in the hall'.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I said in the what are you reading thread, I just started reading this today, and after the prologue and half the first chapter I'm already very impressed. The prologue alone was already pretty awesome.

18. Thrawn

Oh you just hold on.

19. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome just doesn't cover it, unless you add some freaking to it, with generous helpings of stupendously brilliant to top it off - and that still doesn't do it justice.

There's a reason people have added the initials M.F. as Kirsten Beyer's middle name(s).

Just sayin'...

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

On Chapter 2 now. I really hope Farkas didn't actually die at the end of the scene in the prologue. She's cool, and I'd hate to see the character killed off so soon after her introduction.