DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

So, is it possible that the success of the DC reboot has boosted interest in comics in general, which is why Marvel has started doing better as well?

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's very likely. There isn't any actual proof, but based from the online anecdotal evidence it's certainly a shot in the arm and certainly has helped comics more than Marvels weak sauce stuff like the Obama Comic or the Death of Captain America/Johnny Storm.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain America should've went down like Captain Marvel. Cancer moves units.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Dennis I'm guessing that would depend on what DC would consider being a considerable dip. IIRC they dominated the top ten after the first month. We'll see where they are after next month.

@O'dib that is another reason for the relaunch...to instigate an increase in comics in general which I guess would say has happened and to push Marvel (indirectly) to be better which seems to be the case with those numbers I posted in the link.

I haven't been this excited about comics in general and for stuff both companies are doing in a very long time. I'm really not trying to knock the relaunch, I guess my intent is to generate the type of discussion and debate we're having. I don't mean to be terse or anything like that.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Just out of curiosity, which New 52 titles are you enjoying MORE than before the relaunch?

I would only say Action Comics, Superman, Aquaman (hard to count that since he didn't have a title before), and Justice League.

I might also say, look back to the comics about six months before the relaunch, back when there were real stories going on, before we got all those forgettable fill-in issues to unfortunately complete the final issues of the old continuity.

6. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't reading anything monthly beforehand, but was trade-waiting some of it. Batman and Robin isn't as good, I think. JLI is light-years worse than Generation Lost. All-Star Western will have to stand the test of time: much of what I like about it might be the gimmick of Gotham, whereas the best of the Jonah Hex run will still read well in ten years. Justice League Dark and Demon Knights are both great, but so different from Madame Xanadu that you can't even compare them. If Suicide Squad or Red Hood and the Outlaws was meant to replace Secret Six, it's an unfair trade (even though I like RHO). Nothing has replaced Birds of Prey adequately.

Justice League is odd, because I think we can't really judge the last two or three JLA runs the same way we can judge this one: Geoff Johns getting to write what he wants is very different from several writers forced to write either what Geoff Johns wants or to write around whatever Geoff Johns is doing. I think the last "heirs apparent" JLA might have been fantastic, given time and space to breathe.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was only buying Green Lantern with any regularity before the relaunch, though I was reading Superman off and on. So I'm definitely enjoying Justice League, Superboy and Supergirl a lot more than I was. :lol:

8. Myasishchev

Flash, dah-nah.

9. Admiral_Young

Superman and Batman March Solitics.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=45114

To answer Mr. Light's question I was enjoying most of the Bat Family books. It would have been interesting to see a second year from Scott Synder on Detective and what Paul Cornell would have done with Superman in Action Comics, his Luthor arc was simply amazing. Despite all the criticism around "Grounded" Chris Roberson actually managed to salvage a decent second arc and it would have been interesting to see beyond that since the kind of did a Superman, Inc type story as Allyn Gibson indicated when the issue came out in the summer time. I assume that Superman would have reunited with Lois and returned to Meteropolis. Most likely would have been some kind of arc where Lex returns. James Robinson's Justice League wasn't for everyone but I liked the team roster he put together and the last issue hinted at some fun stuff. Same with Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl which was on of my favourite books. I guess I miss certain elements more than I do the actual DCU.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, I took a look at the nuDC. Got the first 3-4 issues of the comics I was interested in. Canceled them all this week. I expect a lot of former readers to do the same. Check things out for a few issues, then go away again. Sales will start dropping.

11. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

That's how I feel. I was deeply relieved that Damian stuck around, but I still don't see why a Secret Six title doesn't fit into the Edge perfectly. But the good, I think, outweighs what was lost. And with Roy Harper, at least, it reaalllllly outweighs the crap.

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see that Dan Jurgens is coming back to Superman. Tell me again how this is a bold new direction for the character, Dennis. ;)

13. Admiral_Young

Dennis will probably say that it's a step in the right direction after the drivel Perez has given us so far. Griffin is co-writing with him so hopefully it won't be too bad.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Admiral_Young

The "Batman" cover is pretty snazzy as well. Greg Capullo has been stellar so far.

16. Myasishchev

Helspont? Oh man, that brings back some memories.

Like memories of the Image Universe actually being coherent. I remember I thought it was way cool that Helspont had possessed the body of an Acurian, like Photon from Youngblood. That was the good kind of continuity and world-building.

The upshot is, I'm eagerly waiting the issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws where Chapel shows up and gives Starfire AIDS.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And looks like some minor tweaks to the costume as well.

18. Admiral_Young

What tweaks? It looks the same to me.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Myasishchev