Radio Times Claims a Classic Doctor Might Be in 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I completely disagree. Good storytelling could give all the context we need.

Action shots of the TARDIS. A voiceover from McGann (or even Hurt, reflecting on the last moments of his predecessor's life). A weary and traumatised McGann, doing something dramatic as the clock ticks down. Dying at the hands of Daleks or the like. Reincarnation occurring. Hurt saying something like 'in those moments, when all seemed lost, I was born.' Shot of Hurt, looking less traumatised and uncertain than other newly-incarnated Doctors and cut to him doing something shocking that no other Doctor is likely to have done before or since.

That's off the top of my head. Pretty sure Stephen Moffatt has had time to write something at least 73,000 times better.

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, to see Paul McGann come back for one last showcase would be nice, especially after having shared a journey with him through Big Finish - it will certainly be nice to SEE him again, as well as witness his last stand, too.

3. Captaindemotion

It would also serve a purpose, namely to show why the Hurt-Doctor is like he is - the circumstances in which he was 'born.'

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rose being in it is bad enough. Martha and Mickey turning up would be a slap in the face.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Or, he's more unstable after Regeneration then usual and he therefore does something unforgivable and stays that way until Regeneration again (into Eccelston) straightens him out

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd rather see Martha than Rose. I'd rather see pretty much anyone than Rose. Except Donna.

McGann, the end of the Timewar, regeneration into Hurt, Tenant, Smith, Hurt re-regenerating into Eccleston. It could be fantastic, it could be a mess.

What else - the return of the Time Lords ? Romana, The Rani ? ;)

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love it if they had Tom Baker come back as the Father of the Doctor in a small role!

Mr Awe

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mickey Mickey Mickey Mickey Mickey

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I've said many times, and will say again, the one person I'd have moved heaven and earth, and sold my soul to the devil to get in the 50th, if I was in charge (or believed in souls) is William Russell as Ian Chesterton.

He's the only classic series actor/character you need.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I completely agree. I've been saying for ages how awesome it would be for old Ian to appear alongside the young looking Doctor (first Tennant, then Smith). The juxaposition would be interesting, especially to see Ian's reaction to the more hyperactive Doctor as oppose to his Doctor.

Alas, it seems we have to settle for a cameo appearance in An Adventure in Space and Time.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, while they were doing that AAiS&T cameo, you never know, they may have filmed a little something extra for the Anniversary Special. It would be most awesome to see him, since he's the earliest cast member of the show still alive (Aside from Carol Ann Ford, who will hopefully be with us for quite some years to come) and it would almost be a crime not to include him in some capacity.

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree entirely. William Russell was actually in the episode that the anniversary special is celebrating and is a lot more relevant than David Tennant or Billie Piper.

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CLARA: I don't understand. You say he's not you, but he IS you. He told me he WAS you.

ELEVEN: He WAS me, but he is not me. It was a different time. The Last Great Time War changed me. Time always does. But that time, it was by choice.

[PAN off ELEVEN and CLARA, and FADE to the PANOPTICON OF THE TIME LORDS on Gallifrey, splendiferous in its ancient glory.]

ELEVEN [VOICE OVER]: I had run from my people, my home on Gallifrey. Sometimes they brought me back, made me do their dirty work. But there was a price to be paid for all my little victories. And the time had come for that price to be paid.

[On a dias, the Time Lord HIGH COUNCIL stands, as a man enters the chamber. It is the EIGHTH DOCTOR, dressed as you'd expect, but clothes torn. Disheveled. He's been through a massive, epic battle... And lost.]

EIGHT: I couldn't stop it. War is here. The Daleks--

HIGH COUNCIL MEMBER #1: Doctor, we gave you information. We gave you the knowledge to defeat them.

EIGHT: You gave me NOTHING! Ever since you sent me to destroy the Daleks on Skaro, you wanted me to be your eyes. Your hands. Your voice. [A BEAT]. Your scapegoat. But I've never been what you wanted. And now there is war. The Daleks, the Cybermen, the Eternals, and ten billion other species will be at war throughout time and space.

HIGH COUNCIL MEMBER #2: Then they will fight. And we will observe.

HIGH COUNCIL MEMBER #3: And manipulate. And survive.

EIGHT: THEN YOU WILL BE DESTROYED.

[The whole council is taken aback by the Doctor's words]

EIGHT: This time is different. This war will know no bounds. They will fight to your doorstep, and they will destroy Gallifrey. All this time, fighting to stop it, I've already lost... [A pause, as the Doctor considers friends and companions he's just lost] The ripples have already become waves. And the waves will wash upon your shores until nothing remains.

HIGH COUNCIL MEMBER #1: Then Doctor, you will protect us. We are not warriors.

EIGHT: And neither am I. None of us are.

[ANOTHER PAUSE as the Doctor reluctantly admits his own conclusion]

EIGHT: ...BUT I CAN BE.

Wrote this over a coffee break. I believe in the Moff. And I wanna see McGann. :)

Mark

14. Captaindemotion

^That's really good. Maybe the High Council forced a regeneration, like with the Second Doctor, to make the Doctor the sort of warrior they wanted.

15. Mr Awe

I agree with that. The opposition of an older Ian to a much a younger Doctor would be priceless.

However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind more classic characters popping up!

There was a photo taken during filming of a sign for the Coal Hill school that listed I. Chesterton as Headmaster, so a cameo is possilbe.

Mr Awe

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a comic that featured Ian interacting Eleven?

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, the just-concluded Doctor Who Magazine story, "Hunters of the Burning Stone."

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And though you never know, it seems unlikely that DWM would have been allowed to do that plot if there was going to be something similar in the anniversary special.

19. Mr Awe

If they miss the opportunity for good (he's old!), you really have to wonder why! This is the perfect opportunity!

Mr Awe

20. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Screw that. With the right make up he could play the First Doctor. He can certainly do the voice.