STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I agree, I understand what you are saying. I have sat through each of those episodes and movies and it has not bothered me. This time it has. I wish it didn't. Maybe my brain has blew a Trek fuse after all these years? Can't explain it.

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Supposedly it took nine hours or so for them to get there.

3. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, this trip was quite fast:). But I believe it is mainly because they didnĀ“t have any scenes in the crew quarters this time either. In the past, they have travelled great distances in a very short time too, but they always have had one or two scenes in the crew quarters (or ready room etc) that made you believe it takes longer time.

4. Flake

There was some ambiguity about the travel time in FC. Maybe this kept my negative brain hemisphere quiet, because its never bothered me.

The only trouble with the 9hours explanation is the reaction of the crew just after Picard orders Red Alert and Engage... its as if they are going to be fighting the Borg in a minute or so :)

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I couldn't care less about stuff like that really, would people really be happier if they added a minute or two of extra padding between them just to placate peoples need for warp distances? Like Kirk goes to bed and is woke up to be told the Vengenace has caught up to them? Really?!

Btw I don't remember if the Vengeance was ever called by name, Kirk said it was "an unmarked Federation vessel". Also were some lines cut? I don't remember any lines about Starfleet/Federation being about vendettas.

6. Phily B

Exactly, I didn't have the problem with it in First Contact when they went to red alert and next shot was them at Earth.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So Picard had his crew sitting at battle stations for nine hours?

8. Flake

When Scotty is in his shuttle next to the Borg cube space station the bridge crew turn up in their shuttles, the comm chat refers to USS Vengeance iirc.

Kirk having a nice long sleep whilst at warp toward Earth would've been lovely ;)

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All this First Contact talk reminds me one thing we're still missing.
    A blockbuster level, big budget fleet battle. With lots of starships flying around kicking each others butt.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well actually there's the amount of time they're at warp, Khans conversation with Carol and McCoy, the time it takes for her to catch on, leave Sickbay, get to a turbolift, get to the bridge, enter the bridge then tell Kirk.

The Vengeance catches up on her in the Enterprise's own warp wake. Now here's the interesting thing, maybe the Enterprise was at warp under her own power for the first minute or so until the Vengeance entered her wake, the new ships advanced propulsion breakthrough altered the "warp tunnel" they're both traveling in allowing the Enterprise to actually be going much faster than normal, accelerating them both at the higher speed.

/bullshittechnobabblestuff

11. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe every time they go to warp they could have Bones call the bridge and be all, "Are we there yet?"

:rolleyes:

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

After they were all fully battle-ready, with hatches secured and whatever else they need to load up loaded, he'd've taken them down to Yellow probably, then back up again when they got there.

Never had the impression they just got there all that fast, thought it showed that the battle took hours, since the fleet was only mostly decimated by the time they arrived.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good. Starships aren't X-Wings. Their battles should be like ships at sea.

14. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I guess.

I mean, before the Battle of Endor, you had all those pilots sitting in those fighters. Who knows?

15. Phily B

The Enterprise doesn't even fire torpedoes or phasers in this movie!

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah.
    And as we all know there have never been any fleet battles, with large numbers of ships participating, at sea. It has always been 1on1.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:Been there, done that.

18. Shazam!

Yep!

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I agree that TOS cocked up speed and distance on more than one occasion, particularly since shuttles seemed to have no warp capability, the movie has opened the can of worms even wider. Often the distance was arbitrary and it was a case of the writers just being careless about their numbers. Enterprise was the exception and look at the fuss there. The implications are huge.

In the last movie, Scotty was able to home in on the Enterprise's Federation beacon to beam on board. Exactly what was Harrison locking onto on Q'onos? It may be that S31 had set up a beach-head receiving pad in a deserted area to avoid the signal being detected but if not the distance (20+ light years?) makes no story sense.

But why does transwarp beaming even matter if you can travel there physically with 500 times the man power in 5 minutes? Why travel there at all if you can just beam weapons to your location like US Drones? Why have a war at all, when you can just beam your 72 warheads straight to the Klingons' key military targets.

And Scotty was proud that he beamed 3 targets from 2 locations, but Harrison beamed 72 targets in one go using an automated transporter!

Plot convenience is a nice excuse but if you have to use it over and over and over and over and over, it's a sign of a very poorly considered plot.

20. Shazam!

I like how whenever someone highlights a flaw in 'nu' Trek the go to defense is that old Star Trek did it worse. That's like saying it's okay for someone to mug an old lady because their dad did it as well.