(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Norway 0 England 1 - Meh

Good for 30 minutes, rubbish for 60 minutes.

Although it's the first time in my memory that I can remember us beating Denmark, Sweden and Norway all in the same season.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It was cool to see the USMNT beat up on Scotland last night. Of course, it is Scotland...

And I kinda dig their new kits. Makes me think of the American flag, which I'm sure was the intent.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

What does the MNT stand for?

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Just a guess, but probably Men's National Team?

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Mutant Ninja Turtles?

6. Skywalker

Oh, yeah, sorry. Defcon's right, I was talking about the U.S. men's national team. :ouch:

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Hazard to Chelski

:wtf: Utd would of been so better for him linking up with the likes of Rooney, Young, Chicharito, Welbeck etc.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Plus with either Utd or City he'd at least know who his manager was going to be!

9. HappyDayRiot

That was my guess :techman: I'm almost disappointed at what it really is - thanks both!

Quite an exciting few days for a post-season. The League One play-off final had the most incredible shoot-out I've seen in a long time.

Chelsea get Hazard (for silly money, frankly). United get Kagawa. I reckon United might have the better deal you know - Hazard seems to love himself a bit too much and thinks he's better than he actually is.

Liverpool apparently get Brendan Rodgers. Who the hell is going to go to Swansea and continue their style of football? Do I even care? ;) I'd fancy good money on both Liverpool and Swansea getting relegated actually - long shot, but Rodgers isn't walking into a readymade set-up there and had a hell of a lot of work to do to get them playing how he'd like. It could go hilariously wrong. And poor old Swansea, cast aside, managerless, with their record transfer in the balance and the entire league swarming over their stars all summer.

I'm glad I only have to worry about dodgy transfers from Peterborough and Coventry :lol:

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

After just one season in the Prem...

Well I guess it's a brave choice if nothing else.

Martinez to Villa now maybe?

11. Skywalker

Getting ready to watch the U.S. take on Brazil in about ten minutes. I'm not expecting them to win, but hopefully they'll make things interesting.

12. HappyDayRiot

How did it turn out?

Are the non-Euro nations having all these friendlies in preparation for anything in particular over the summer?

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Turned out not very well for us Americans. 4-1 for Brazil, though at least we generated some decent chances, and one of their goals was a ridiculously awarded penalty.

Anyway, as for what we're preparing for, the World Cup qualifying starts up for the US I think the same day Euro 2012 kicks off... June 8?

We have one more friendly before that against Canada. Hopefully we can kick them around a bit to get that "we're still nowhere near competing with Brazil" taste out of our mouths.

14. Skywalker

Basically what Yoda said. Brazil's first goal came off of a really harsh handball call, but aside from that they pretty much outplayed the U.S. The Americans had a few chances to score, but a combination of bad luck and great goalkeeping kept them from getting more than just one.

And yeah, the U.S.'s first World Cup qualifier is on June 8 versus Antigua and Barbuda.

15. HappyDayRiot

Ah of course. Qualifying. Geez, the European groups must start in the autumn as well. It's non-stop!

16. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least the European qualifying groups for the WC are still meaningful to a degree. The qualifiers for the European Championships from here on out now that the finals have been expanded are near-pointless. With the top 2 from each group qualifying it makes it almost impossible for the likes of France, England and Portugal, who've failed previously, to fail again.

Still, at least Scotland and the other home nations might have a chance of scraping through again now...... :lol:

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Lambert and Rodgers are mental...A declining Liverpool but the entire fanbase still think its the 1980's so they will force him out within 18 months. Norwich could easily become a stable PL team, while Villa are heading for the exit door. I'd like to see Martinez return to Swansea now and I think Norwich would do well to knick Holloway from Blackpool as his style of football suits them.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  18. HappyDayRiot

By all means, so long they quit with this 'we want Cardiff's manager because he used to play for us and was really good' business.

Rodgers is considerably less mad than Lambert - at least Liverpool is still a prestige job. There was no massive reason I can see to ditch a Norwich on the up who worship him to join a sinking Villa. I fancy Swansea, Norwich and Liverpool to all really struggle next season following these changes. Villa will be fine with Lambert though.

I turned the England friendly off after about 25 minutes. I'm guessing it never got any better?

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Apart from some decent defending, England never got going but Welbeck's goal was top class. Looks like Roy is going to use Chelsea's tactics in Euro 2012. Speaking of which, think we need a Euro 2012 thread (i'll shall get on it) ;)

Euro 2012 thread.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And the manager merry go around continues! Hughton has been allowed to talk to Norwich.

Crap just seen the Cardiff City news!