Time's Arrow

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Willieck, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Willieck

Willieck Commander Red Shirt

I expect that this one has been discussed quite a lot on these forums. I think is my overall favourite of all the double headers in all the series. However one or two things always trouble me. I always feel that there should have been three episodes as there is a whole chunk missing in the middle. The away team get themselves into the nineteenth century and before you can turn round they have managed to get a room and find clothes suitable to the period. Not only that but they have separate outfits for being policemen doctors etc. Where did all that come from?

Data at least had to win a poker game to get the funds to set him up so to speak but with the others it happened by magic. As I said there should have been another episode to explain just how all this happened.

Another thing that puzzled me was the reason for the whole story line. If the aliens were as all powerful as they appeared to be I doubt if they would have needed to watch their backs in order to obtain the neural energy they needed. They could have gone into any time period or even the present and probably got what they needed by using a little stealth.

Having said all of this it is still my favourite. I loved the Jack London and Mark Twain characters and Guinan as always was brilliant.

2. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed this too. I think because we had seen Data acquire wealth and in a fun way to watch, that it would have been boring to see the rest do the crew do the same thing. However a couple of lines to explain it was necessary. Because there was a break for half a year by the time part 2 aired it didn't seem important. It's only when you watch it as a movie that it stands out.

The aliens are kind of vulnerable. The fact that they have to go in disguise through time to steal the energy suggests they cant do this on their own world. So it must be an ordeal to do what they do. Lots of things can go wrong and they are the bread winners for the rest of their species.

A big plot hole I once discussed about this episode is the Picard/Guinan reltionship- which wasn't done well at all. In fact if this is the first time they met for Guinan, then I don't see how they would have started their beyond family/friends relationship. Nothing special seemed to happen between them other than he saved her from dying. I assume that in Guinan's future she meets Picard for his first time and the bond begins.

In Yesterdays Enterprise Guinan is on the Enterprise. Guinan must still meet Picard the same way as in the real timeline to create a special bond between them both. Especially as she is on a warship when she is a peaceful species. Why would you serve on a battle ship after the horrors of a Borg invasion of your world? Unless she was drawn to Picard in friendship.

In Yesterday's Enterprise Troi isn't present. So in the future when they go to Davidia II and explore the aliens cavern, Troi isn't there to detect the human souls the aliens are scoffing down. So how would Data know to scan beyond the timeline for other beings Therefore how did they end up going back through time to meet Guinan? And if they didn't then why is Guinan on the enterprise in YE?

Anyways thats a huge nitpick. I loved this story. It was cool sci fi and truly alien concept . It was a huge story in all and felt a little rushed. It would definitely be one of the best stories to make into a 3 parter on TNG.

Lots of great humour in this. And the bell boy was cute and great actor.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Not a huge fan of this one. Pretty standard time-travel fare, the Guinan-Picard thing is stupid, the threatening aliens aren't really very impressive, just falls kind of flat for me.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, for me, the Guinan-Picard dynamic was a pleasure to watch. I understand if people don't agree, but for me, the chemistry between Picard and Guinan was definitely there, like two very old souls meeting together for the first time. Loved it.

5. jolene_b_fan

jolene_b_fan Lieutenant Red Shirt

i remember when this aired. great season ender, finding data's head in San Francisco. awesome. Mark Twain. The soul suckers from Dividia-2. Div-2 was mentioned in other eps by Jordi and others for how they handled Times Arrow. Great location shooting too.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  6. Willieck

Well :nyah: then. ;)

7. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always loved Time's Arrow, a really relaxed, fun kind of two parter. TNG + 19th Century America + Guinan = win as far as I'm concerned. The setting feels authentic, Hardin makes for a great Twain and I think the development of the relationship between Picard and Guinan is actually really nicely done.

My only quibbles are that it's far too laid back to have made a satisfying season finale/opener, Twain on the Enterprise is only a couple of short steps away from Lincoln in The Savage Curtain and that Part 2 isn't quite as good as Part 1 (but that's true of nearly all TNG's two-parters.) None of which stop the whole of it being in my top ten TNG :techman:

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data's "I am French" excuse got me every time. People just accepted it without question. :lol:

9. Willieck

They must have had a very parochial world view in San Francisco at that time.

It's a bit like the Dixon Green episode when he says he's from South America.

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is how time travel should work, parallel universes and paradoxes be damned!

11. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*psst Dixon Hill* ;)

12. Willieck

I knew that. Where on earth did I get "Green" from? :shrug:

(Must have been a senior moment :rolleyes:)

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Dixon of Dock Green" perhaps?

14. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed reading about how fans thought TNG would be ending because DS9 was beginning and "Time's Arrow" was their way of showing it wouldn't. Its an okay two parter, but its no classic.

15. Willieck

er... could be. :)

16. Willieck

Yes it is. :rolleyes: