The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Kevin Pollack?

I thought the way Pine said "Bones!" at the end was Shatner-like

2. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

While in April's defense, yes he did see it, I think you hit a nerve there Gilligan.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kevin Pollack's Shatner is great, but Chris Pine took away the campy edge and left us with awesome. At least, I think he did.

Something else this movie has done for me: Made me fall in love with the Original Series all over again. I have always loved it, but it's almost like a second honeymoon. It's wonderful, and now I'm saving to buy the TOS seasons on DVD.

J.

4. datas_cat_spot

datas_cat_spot Captain Captain

5. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

My excuse for coughing up the bucks for blu-ray just eventuated... :p

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I was sitting two seats from aussie (his first viewing and my third) and was worried he was going to eat a chair if he didn't approve of the events of the second half. Thankfully he was happy enough.

I can't believe he kept himself totally spoiler free for the last two years. Stoic!

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read your review. It was incompetent, irrational, anxiety-ridden trivia-fixated nonsense. There was no indication there that you understand enough about movies to write a good review of a film that you liked.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Dark Gilligan was told what to do by Captain Robert April Prime from the future about how to rile up his younger version. :p

9. Amaris

Well, when Star Trek comes out on BluRay, I will be buying it ...and a BluRay player. :lol:

J.

10. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the juxtaposition of these two remarks is... fascinating.

Kirk can either be a superhuman prodigy who's so damn brilliant he leapfrogs over every officer in Starfleet, or he can be a regular, relatable guy with flaws. But he sure can't be both at the same time.

Personally, I thought TOS split that difference far better than this movie did. Kirk was obviously smart, talented, and an intuitive leader. At the same time, though, he suffered from self-doubt. He had insecurities. He was relatable. And while he'd been promoted to starship captain at a younger age than anyone else, he'd still achieved it the hard way—the real way—by climbing up through the ranks over a decade, and proving himself on repeated missions under a variety of circumstances.

This is a bit odd. Aside from the cast (which almost everyone agrees was pretty terrific, myself included), you describe almost nothing but criticism for the film... but then you say you loved it. I just don't get that. :confused:

I completely agree. The writers are trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want us to accept this Kirk as a new character with a new background and an unknown future... yet at the same time they're leveraging the audience's affection for the previous version, a Kirk who had proven to be "a great man," as even Nero acknowledged. Taken on its own, his character arc just doesn't add up to anything.

11. Borgminister

Who says Kirk doesn't have things to learn? Also, isn't a lot of the fleet destroyed by Nemo? Captains are at a premium. This is how Spock and Bones will help Kirk in his command decisions.

12. Therin of Andor

You know, everyone I know who's seen the movie, fan and not-already-fan, has done plenty of thinking and talking about this movie and its themes.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

I don't know many people who can't or are disinclined to think at least as deeply about what they see as CRA.

14. Amaris

Oh yes. If anything, this movie has got me really digging in deep over Star Trek, the mythos, what is and is no more, the ramifications of this new universe, and I most assuredly want to know more about how the Federation works here, Starfleet, I want to know their futures, I want more stories! It's got my imagination soaring, and it thrills me. :D

J.

15. Therin of Andor

I can't wait to rewatch some early TOS: "The Man Trap", "Charlie X", etc. in which Uhura is teasing Spock. Now those scenes have a whole new layer.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Aside from giving the more emotional and unfair critics of this movie their only way of dismissing the fact that are so many people enjoying this film, the real failure of the "non-fans are stupid mundanes who aren't smart about Trek like us" argument is that you have to give non-fans more in order to attract them to a movie like this, not less. You have to move them, provoke them, entertain them, intrigue them - in other words, you have to offer them a real damned movie, not "Star Trek 11: The Romulan War." They are not presold; they will not be suckered by the words "Star Trek" in a movie title. They must be won over.

And in the main the population at large is easily as intelligent and discrimating as people who are predisposed to believe that liking Star Trek proves in and of itself that they're thoughtful and smart.

Someone will say "Oh yeah, they're so smart - that's why they make hits of crap like Transformers."

The obvious answer to which is "well, they were smart enough not to see Star Trek: Nemesis, which puts them one-up on most of the fan critics.

17. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Wow. My mistake then. I guess my wrists have been slapped but good. :rolleyes:

18. Borgminister

Yup--the way I look at it, the best is yet to come, since they've now re-established the original gang in the pop consciousness of the general public, and (largely) satisfied the fan base. No small feat.

19. FemurBone

FemurBone Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Directed by Michael Bay!

I just got back from seeing it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the characters. I feared they might come across as wooden, but the actors did a good job bringing the old characters to life.

The story was okay even though it was a bit of an off the shelf plot line; evil alien bent on destroying the Earth. Seen this storyline many times before. In this case it was done reasonably well. Nothing special or innovative but competent.

The area this movie really failed was the cinematography. The shakey cameras and extreme close ups twere very frustrating to watch. I felt like I was watching a Michael Bay movie or that awful Battle Star Galactica series. The space battles, fist fights and phaser fights were completely unwatchable.

The interior of the Enterpise was also poorly done. The bridge was okay, but the engineering section looked like a boiler room underneath a sky scraper. I'll take the engineering section featured in TMP any day.

One last thing; did the technology that enables doctors to determine the gender of a baby before it's born get lost or something?

20. octavian

octavian Ensign Newbie

Nero?? I vote that the next romulan be named Octavian!

Vae Victus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!