Phase II "Going Boldly" (new vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dru, Aug 6, 2012.

1. DaveGalanter

DaveGalanter Writer/Ape In Memoriam

Greg, while I'm no expert, I highly doubt that makeup of that sophistication isn't a much longer process than ears. I could be completely mistaken, but after seeing such examples on the show "Face Off" which is a movie-makeup competition show, it hasn't been impression that makeup like that would be that quick.

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Quick? Do you know how long it takes to do Spock's ears?

The main problem is visible seams. If the seams are in a visible location (like on the pinna), they are tedious to do well. If the seams aren't going to be visible (for example, if they are going to be covered with a long mane-like wig), they don't need to be perfect.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the reasons why the "Sisters of Plenitude" were "nuns", the habits allowed the production to limit the make-up appliances to just the face. To do a "Hame" styled make-up to an actress dressed as M'Ress depicted in the animated series would be a major, MAJOR undertaking. The throat and collarbone region would need appliances, the hands, and the legs almost to the groin.

That's when one needs to consider alternatives. For the throat issue, restyle the "mane" a bit. In the cartoon, all of it feel behind the shoulders. Instead, have "locks" of the wig fall in front of the shoulders, hiding the throat. Yeah, we usually associate that arrangement as befitting a male leonid, but it's a compromise of practicality.

For the legs, either stage the shots to obscure them (which would also bypass the problems of depicting digitigrade feet), or go with some sort of pants. Or, put her in one of those general duty jumpsuits occasionally depicted in the earlier episodes of the first season. Pants or a full jumpsuit makes sense "in story" as well. It would reduce the amount of shed fur getting all over the equipment. One might even use that rationale to cover the hands with gloves.

Of course, I realize I'm way overthinking this for what would be, at most, a quick "throw-away" shot of M'Ress in the background.

Sincerely,

Bill

P.S. Here's some variations upon M'Ress I puttered together using low end figure staging render tools.

http://redfern42.deviantart.com/#/d4x64rv Standard uniform

http://redfern42.deviantart.com/#/d4yrbal Utility jumpsuit

http://redfern42.deviantart.com/#/d590uwp Leggings with "spats"

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Instead of appliances for the lower half (since you're gonna have to have a tail anyway), take a page from the TMP costumes - how about fur-covered tights with shoes built-into (as in inside) the feline "feet." Depending on how "animated" you want to make the tail, it can be half-practical (the first foot or so projecting from the actress) half-CGI (the rest), full practical but remote-controlled (think Jabba's tail in ROTJ) or all-CGI. But other than the tail, the more practical the better (including a Batman-style furry cowl that incorporates the mane/ears/neck/upper shoulders that the actress can don - the face appliance covers the seams - and yellow "cat eye" contact lenses).

The hands I think would be the biggest problem, since they need to be four-fingered and cat-like yet allow the actress to handle the bridge controls with some visible degree of dexterity.

5. DaveGalanter

DaveGalanter Writer/Ape In Memoriam

About 60 to 90 mins for Spock's ears if memory serves? But I admit I only vaguely paid attention, as I don't sit and watch it. (I try to stay out of the make-up room despite it being cool because I figure if I don't have a direct use, I shouldn't be there taking up space. :)

6. Redfern

Given "New Voyages" clout, I imagine the production may have connections to obtain higher end materials, but considering what's available to the average person, "furred" leggings or pants can pose some issues. Worn by a person of average build, most conventional "furred" fabrics tend fill out his or her frame, making the person look considerably "stocky". You'd need someone almost deathly thin so the added bulk of the fur will make the performer appear to have a normal build. Plus, it can be difficult to avoid a "team mascot" appearance (aka the dreaded and scorned "fursuit" look). It can be avoided, but you need a material with fibers that will lie flat rather than fuzzing outward.

I remember reading a StarLog article discussing the ape costumes from "Greystoke", a "serious" Tarzan adaptation released in the 80s. A special lycra type elastic fabric with embedded "fur" fibers was developed for the movie. Because it hugged the body like a dancer's leotard, it didn't wrinkle or buckle as much and maintained the illusion of a pelt better than other materials. Problem was, it cost several hundred dollars per yard some 25 years ago. Would New Voyages be willing to spend that kind of money for a "throw-away" shot of an extra in the background? I honestly can't say.

That's why I suggested having the M'Ress actress stand or sit behind a desk or console that would conveniently hide the legs. It would avoid the problems of creating furred legs that might suffer looking like part of a plush toy. It would also make presenting a tail a bit easier. It wouldn't even have to be attached to the actress. A "puppeteer" hidden by the set piece need only hold it close to the actress and twitch it, giving it a bit of "life".

"Pawed" hands? I'd take some artistic license and give her 5 digits per hand, 4 fingers and a dewclaw/thumb. That way, no single digit would look abnormally thicker than the others. Or, give her gloves, (in-story, something StarFleet issue intended to reduce fur shed upon equipment), the tip of each digit showing just the hint of a claw tip, implying there's something akin to a "button hole" that would allow her to flex her claws.

I'm just trying to imagine ways would this could be achieved without "breaking the bank" for the New Voyages team.

Sincerely,

Bill

7. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Maybe in a new episode we can see the TAS holodeck too while we're at it.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her facing away from camera in the background eliminates the biggest problem, that of depicting the face. If you don't see her feet either, then a woman in costume with a CGI tail could comprise the minimally necessary depiction.

9. Redfern

Take that idea one step further, but not quite as extreme as merely mentioning but never showing her. Depict nothing but a prop tail with a tuft upon the tip vanishing around a corner, poking from a Jefferies Tube, getting caught in the bridge doors (with an accompanying wailing meow), etc. :lol: You know, rather like "Spot" was presented on "The Munsters". ;)

Of course, where's the fun if we never get to see her face? :sigh:

Sincerely,

Bill

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know. I almost didn't post for that reason.

11. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Is there any kind of timetable on when we can expect to see Kitumba? And if there are any timetables for the others as well.

BTW when Buck Rogers referred to going to meet the Emperor of the Klingon Empire that was a mistake since Gowron said there hasn't been an emperor for 3 centuries.

12. GSchnitzer

No, there is no timetable for the realease of "Kitumba," "The Protracted Man," "Mind-Sifter," "Bread and Savagery" and our yet-to-be-filmed "Troublesome Minds."

Also, on the Klingon Homeworld, some factions (Gowon's) never really recognized the "Kitumba" as being The Emperor. Other factions *do* recognize the Kitumba as the Emperor. (It's not like the Klingons are all homegenous in their beliefs.)

Sounds like the perfect kind of conflict for an episode.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  13. deep_edward

deep_edward Ensign Red Shirt

Whatever else they do, for the love of god, please give Peter Kirk a new boyfriend or find a way to resurrect Freeman.

While I have to give kudos to New Voyages for producing the Blood & Fire script, I was not a fan of the "tragic gay death" ending and I don't think I can bear another episode with Peter moping around like he's a step away from hanging himself (even though the actor who plays him does it very well!).

14. GSchnitzer

Well, as part of our show's Writers and Directors Guide, we envisioned that the late Alex Freeman was from a race/planet of clones and "everyone is pretty much the same." The ironic twist is that we would meet Brion Freeman (one of Peter's numerous "brothers") and we would find Brion to be straight. This would cause some awkwardness (and plot conflicts)--not only for Brion but for Peter Kirk as well. (Peter's advances were to be brutally rejected by Brion.)

We may yet see this story line. But we're wary of making this "The Peter Kirk Show" (much less "The Brion Freeman Show" when Star Trek is actually about Captain Kirk, Mister Spock, and Doctor McCoy. But you never know where Star Trek Phase II will take us.

15. deep_edward

Please tell me you're joking. I like what I've seen of the series so far, but this would seriously make me never watch it again.

Who suggested making this "The Peter Kirk Show"? I'm new here and I'm honestly not trying to piss anyone off, so I think I'll just hold my tongue, except to say that I think a far better idea would be to have Peter transfer to another ship and write the character out of the show. I'd rather any theoretical gay characters remain completely invisible than to have them portrayed in the way you have in mind.

16. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

OK, thanks for the heads up on this.... I think this would be a great story line, and a wounderful "Twist" to todays story writting...
    Go ahead and open Pandor box.... send thoes Righ wing ding bats flapping in the wind !!!!!

17. deep_edward

How would it send right wing dingbats flapping in the wind? This is how homophobes want gay characters to be portrayed, if they're going to be portrayed at all: as perpetually unhappy victims.

I'm honestly having a hard time believing this is for real.

18. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

With all due respect, most of the love stories in Trek end in death or break-up. The happy endings are rare. B&F is just like most of the Trek love stories. The only thing a twing different is that the couple is gay. If you want more Trek about LGBT (I think that's right) look at the many films produced by Hidden Frontier. http://www.hiddenfrontier.com/

19. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OTOH HF had a tendency to turn the cast's sexuality into a big issue instead of just another aspect of the characters' life.

20. deep_edward

Um, no they don't.

Cute. :rolleyes: