Phase II "Going Boldly" (new vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dru, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Fez

Fez Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nick, you can go to a couple of the mirrors... they have the vignette up and I think the German mirror has the a better HD version of it

2. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Thanks Fez. :)

3. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you need a Hi res, version Nick I can get you a private link.

4. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Thanks James, is it any different than he versions available? the one from the Germna mirror looks pretty good.

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obviously, I have not been keeping up with all the development of the ongoing New Voyages/Phase II series, but the last I had read, Cawley stated his production staff had considered the Phase II engines, but there was some "resistance" (from whom I don't know), so the plan was seemingly abandoned. Obviously, the clip shows the 1977-78 type nacelles, so plans apparently changed yet again.

Can anyone provide a bit of information about this? Did I simply misread what Cawley had to say a while ago? Did someone put words in his mouth he never really spoke? (I will admit I'l miss my Jefferies styled twirling nacelle domes. When I first saw those Mike Minor paintings from the latter 70s showing the radicaly new nacelle structure, I thought, "Hey! Who slapped Klingon engines onto the Enterprise?!" :eek: )

Sincerely,

Bill

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

There's a post somewhere around here in one of the threads where Cawley (or Greg) addresses this. Basically, they wanted to update to the Phase II Enterprise, but then they all saw the Enterprise from JJ Abrams' 2009 film, and decided that they (the Phase II producers) wanted to keep the TOS design after all.

I admit I might be misremembering things and will happily concede to a more well-informed source should they choose to share any info.

7. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

No, you're pretty much right on the money. We had planned to do a switch to a Phase II Enterprise back about the time of the "new" JJ Abrams movie. After it premiered, it was our sense that there was a greater desire on fans' part to continue to see the old TOS Enterprise. Any itch fans had to see a new Enterprise was being scratched by JJ; we didn't need to do the same thing ourselves. So we decided to stay Old School.

In fact, our new "Going Boldly" vignette was originally written four years ago to do double-duty--or maybe even triple-duty: it was going to be the roll-out of the "new" Phase II-style Enterprise; it was going to be the roll out of our new Phase II series moniker; and it was going to be an epilogue to "Blood and Fire"--where we see a funeral for Lieutenant Alex Freeman--and we see the Enterprise being repaired after the beating it took in that episode.

Of course, you all know what finally happened: we cancelled (well, postponed, it turns out) our plans to roll out a new Enterprise, and we shot "Enemy: Starfleet," "The Child," "Kitumba," "The Protracted Man" and "Mind-Sifter" with our same ol TOS Enterprise. We swiched our series name to Phase II without much fanfare, and our recently-shot "Going Boldly" vignette, although left largely intact from when it was written four years ago, was changed from being a memorial service specifically for Lieutenant Alex Freeman to being a more generic memorial service for a number of Phase II crew, real and imaginary, who have recently passed away.

Candidly, I don't think I'm really betraying any confidences when I say that an additional motivation for our recent change of heart regarding our switch to the Phase II Enterprise is the arrival on the scene of Star Trek Continues. With multiple TOS-era productions, we thought that, if nothing else, using the Phase II-style Enterprise would be a bid of a differentiator between our production and other TOS productions.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  8. Redfern

Since you're here, I'm gonna' take the opportunity to ask this.

Since your team has graced us with an impressively screen accurate ("cel accurate"?) Lt. Arex complete with three arms, is there any chance we may eventually see a brief "walk on" of Lt. M'Ress (or should that be a "prowl on"?), be it prosthetics, CGI, puppetry, trained cats, whatever in some future production?

Sincerely,

Bill

9. GSchnitzer

Three arms *and* three legs (and three fingers on each hand) on Lieutenant Arex!

Oh, we'll probably see Lieutenant M'Ress at some point. But that's just kind of gimmicky (although we're not above using gimmicks). It would probably just be a quick scene in passing--much like we did with Arex.

Actually, I've toyed with doing something less overt: I've written a scene with Uhura--where she reports to her communications station--and the first thing she does before sitting down to work is she takes out a lint roller and picks up all the cat fur and dander that M'Ress has shed all over the chair and console. So we might hint at M'Ress instead of actually seeing her. (Maybe it'll become one of those running gags--where everyone talks about her, but we never actually see her.)

10. Redfern

Talk about her but never SEE her?! ARGH! You, cruel, cruel man!!!

Just kiddin'! If you go that route, I can imagine one of the "regulars" suffering a cat allergy. Yeah, 23rd century medicine would make quick work of that problem, but might as well have fun with it.

Well, whatever you guys, do, thanks for at least responding!

Sincerely,

Bill

11. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Y'know just mentioning M'Ress could take this thread in any number of totally inappropriate directions...just sayin'... :D

12. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

OK, this is HYSTERICAL.

Love the idea.

Oh and my friend did this for the Las Vegas STar Trek Con:

[​IMG]

Alec

13. jamesmc

Yes, to M'ress!

14. Redfern

Loken, I love your friend's sense of humor! You have any other shots of her in costume? I'm guessing she used one of those Woochie brand latex pieces that aproximates the nose pad and upper lip of a cat. But what sells it for me is her "mane". She did a rather good job styling it to "lay" like it does in the animation cels.

Sincerely,

Bill

15. jamesmc

She did a great job! I am not sure which route we will take with the character make up or cg...

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Hmmm.... I think somewhere in this thread the subject of M'ress went from "Maybe Phase II will to this..." to "How Phase II will do this..." That's what I call an effective discussion! And yes, excellent job by the lady in Latex... and red.

17. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

Have you seen the makeup for the cat-people of New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York on Doctor Who?
    It's extremely effective.
    Depending on how ambitious your makeup artists are feeling of course.

[​IMG]

18. DaveGalanter

DaveGalanter Writer/Ape In Memoriam

^ Great makeup but how many hours does THAT take and who's gonna pay for it. Yikes!

19. GSchnitzer

Application probably takes no longer than applying Spock's latex ears. Fabricating a feline prosthetic appliance to begin with is probably where all the hard work lies. Fortunately, that's not really time-sensitive. It can be done anytime in advance of the shoot.

http://www.themakeupgallery.info/fantasy/beast/cat/whohame.htm

Who's gonna pay for it? Who pays hundreds of doallrs for Spock's ears now?

20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

And in true Phase II fashion, once the subject turns from 'if' to 'how', they start topping one another on quality...