Ridiculous Injuries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spot's Meow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No fillings.

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a piece of a rose thorn stuck in my finger. I can see it; can't reach it to remove it. Our roses have mean thorns. You could flay someone alive with the inch-thick cane off these roses.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Often you can remove thorns with a very fine sewing needle. You gingerly insert it in the hole the thorn made, slide it along the side of the thorn and then try to lever it out.

I got a tiny bit of steel wool in my wrist for almost 6 years now. I've tried a dozen times to get it out but it's stuck so deep that I can't even reach it with a scalpel. It doesn't hurt, though, and maybe in a few years it'll grow out. Or maybe I'll just try a narrower blade ;)

Most ridiculous injury I suffered: I got bitten by a rat and the scar looks like a grumpy smilie: : (

4. propita

I've tried the needle trick. It's just a bit too deep that getting it out would be a nice gouge.

This thread has been very informative and reassuring that there are so many other clumsy people.

5. rhubarbodendron

indeed. 2 years ago I amputated the tip of my thumb when a soufflee dish broke in my hand. You wouldn't believe how sharp the edges of ceramic shards can be.
    Fortunately, I lived very close to the hospital and they could sew the bit back on. It's partially numb, though, and I have difficulties sewing as I don't feel the needle I'm holding.

The incident was particularly vexing as it was my favourite dish and it broke right *after* I had washed it.

And I've broken my toes 5 or 6 times already by bumping into door frames. The last 3 times I didn't even go to my GP but treated it myself.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I was about 7 years old, I was playing on the swingset in my grandparents' backyard. Since this was around 1981, the slide was pretty much just bent sheet metal, not plastic like they have today. After years of use, a fracture had formed at the top of the slide, and a sharp edge was bent upwards. I had been running up and down the slide (not sliding), and I ran up the slide, turned around, and my feet slipped out from under me. My back landed right on that edge, tearing a huge scar from my kidneys almost to my shoulder blade on the right side. Needless to say, I screamed my head off! Never went to the doctor, but my grandfather did patch me up, which stung even more since that was the era when you put Bactene on everything. Thirty years later, that is still a huge obvious scar.

7. rhubarbodendron

ouch! That sucks! :(
    But I am sure all your GFs will consider it a sign of male strength and fighting spirit (as long as you don't tell them how it happened). And it's ideal to kiss all the way down and a bit further. ;)

8. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

That's very similar to what happened to my mom. She was carrying a load of laundry down to the basement and didn't know one of the shirt sleeves was dragging on the stairs. She ended up face first into a wall, but thankfully only suffered a broken wrist, her left one. We never stopped teasing her about God punishing her for doing laundry on a Sunday. ;)

A year or two earlier she'd broken her right wrist by trying to slide down an icy driveway. She was playing around and fell down flat, so we were all laughing at first as we didn't realise how bad her injury was. Neither did she; she didn't go to the hospital until much later in the day, by which time the doctor was reluctant to reset the wrist. As a result her hand was a wee bit further to the right than it used to be, which she only noticed when she began playing the piano again, and every note she hit with her right hand was off by one. That, more than anything, drove her around the bend, but she played every day, and soon adjusted.

9. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I got stabbed with a pencil over 40 years ago and I can still see the graphite piece (it has faded a bit though).

I've had quite a few ridiculous injuries, but I think my dumbest self-inflicted injury was when I tried to scare a flock of very loud crows out of a tree. I decided to shoot a 12 gauge up into the branches but didn't have enough sense to not stand directly underneath. Must have hit a branch just right because it crashed down right on my head. All the crows scattered- didn't even knock a feather off any of them. But I ended up with a huge lump on my head and bark scratches all over. Guess it was karma.

10. mari

mari Captain Captain

I have two holes in each ear with the same story, and it's been 20 years. Still gets yucky every once in a while.

11. propita

My dad always said not to piss off crows. He said they were mean and would come after you, a la "The Birds." Said that he'd seen it plenty of times growing up. Sparrows chase them off, though.