Warp 10

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Bry_Sinclair, Aug 29, 2013.

1. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

they couldn't use it to get home because they didn't know how to come out at a specific point. tom just took a chance and shut down the engine and ended up back where he started.

2. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll have to go back and look when I have some time, I remember the scale being Warp 100 as infinite.

If thats the case, I guess I kind of loss a lot of ground in being annoyed by this episode.

3. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I actually really like that episode

I think Braga gets a bad wrap, he wrote over 100 episodes between TNG and Voyager, many of them quite good. But people only give him a hard time for one or two that weren't that great

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Braga's at his best when he's doing alternate reality or something to that effect. His best days were in TNG easily. Voyager and Enterprise(especially)... no. I think by that time he was just cranking out as many as he could with less regard to quality. But like they say in poker... you can hardly recall the winning streaks but remember every big loss. Braga's like that and he's really hit and miss. But it's definitely more than "one or two."

5. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think he had some great work on Voyager too.
    to name a few
    Scorpion
    Year of Hell
    The Killing Game
    Living Whitness
    Drone
    Latent Image
    Dark Frontier
    Warhead
    Life Line
    Unimatrix Zero
    Human Error
    Author Author

6. R. Star

I'd contest a couple of those. Unimatrix Zero for example. But he also had a lot of clunkers on Voyager too...

Parallax
    The Cloud
    Emanations
    Cathexis
    The 37's
    Cold Fire
    Threshold(!)
    Remember
    Macrocosm
    11:59
    Memorial
    Fury(!)
    Endgame(!)

As I said, he's rather hit and miss. Mostly I think he gets most of his bad rap from his work on Enterprise, which you didn't even mention so perhaps you're conceding that one. ;)

7. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I'd argue a few of those

and yea, not even going to argue Enterprise. I couldn't get past the first season despite several attempts

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

delta quadrant warp 10 is different from alpha quadrant warp 10, due to high levels of frackalohedric particles in the area that cause mental binding on the subspace astral plane.

9. Lighthammer

I almost feel obligated to point out Living Witness was nominated for an Emmy. That requires huge recognition.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Because it was a terrible episode that they didn't think through at all.

After Where No Man Has Gone Before warp was always scaled up toward warp 10 as if it was an unbreakable barrier, and technical manuals released well before Threshold said warp 10 was infinite speed. The problem with the episode is more that it's total garbage than it's use of warp 10 as a hard barrier.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I almost thought that said Living Whiteness.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair it's not a barrier more so than something way off in the distance not worth thinking about.

The speed of light is figureouttable. 186,282 miles per second thereabouts, but I don't think warp ten is?

10,000 times faster than warp 9 is still not warp ten.

You just keep going faster and faster until you turn into god.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    As King Daniel will attest, the topic of just what the hell transwarp drive is pops up every so often in the Tech forum. It's remarkable how little sense the depiction in this episode actually holds. As others have noted, the warp scale was recalibrated at the start of TNG so Warp 10 was an unreachable speed. (Apparently the production team was sick of the notion of the ship accelerating out of control as on TOS.)

What's interesting about "Threshold"'s depiction of transwarp is that it does a pretty good job explaining what the technological limitations might be to achieving such high velocity, but alas, lizards and all, it just doesn't hold water.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's also rather difficult to ignore the conceit that after warp technicians have been trying to reach warp 10 all over the galaxy for centuries, Paris figures it out on his own in a few weeks.

That would be like if I woke up tomorrow and suddenly cured cancer.

And ALSO rather difficult to ignore the fact that going warp 9.99999 doesn't turn you into lizards but does get you home in a few seconds.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which would be what an advanced Warp drive from Course Oblivion is, or a modified warp drive from Equinox is.

At some point, ships are going to be dawdling at Warp 9.9999999 before they really open her up, and they're going o have to recalibrate the arp scale again, so that warp 9.99999999 is now Warp 5.

16. R. Star

I always figured they just got tired of saying point nineninenineninenine, and adjusted the scale to twenty or something and that's where they got Warp 13 in the All Good Things future.

17. Lighthammer

Part of the reason they actually rescaled things is because of the light speed theory put out by Hawkings back in the early 80s.

It wasn't purely a cosmetic change, it was in part because going back to Star Trek through TNG gave TPTB the opportunity to try explain things more accurately as we understood the light speed threshold barrier theories then. Since then though, our theories have changed a lot (again).

Star Trek has always been really good at trying to introduce pseudo accurate scientific concepts through the series almost as a way of teaching while entertaining. Sure, we can't claim a lot of technobable is super accurate, but at least a lot of it has some basis in reality.

18. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I admit curiosity what light speed theories you mean.

19. Lighthammer

There's nothing too mysterious about it; Star Trek was originally pseudo based around Einsteins theories that pushing past the speed of light required all sorts of energy we'd never be able to master (thus part of the reason the actual reactor on the original Enterprise was so huge).

TNG updated its theories to be based more in line with Hawkings theories, though it still took liberties. Hawkings only added to Einstiens theories, but of course, he was one of the major theorist playing around with dark matter the existence of multi-dimesional space.

Michu Kuko talks about both theories in his book, Physics of the Impossible. Its a must read for anyone interest in Trek tech.

20. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

People tend to forget that they discovered a new type of dilithium in this episode. That's what allowed them to reach warp 10.