DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeesh we've got continuity errors between books this week already. Forever Evil shows Scarecrow recruiting Riddler, Two-Face, Freeze, and Poison Ivy together into the Secret Society at Arkham. The Two-Face comic, though, shows Scarecrow recruiting Two-Face alone on top of GPD headquarters. There's also the problem of Mirror Master being in the physical world in Forever Evil, when he was trapped in the mirror world by the meta-machine.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But lenticular printing is still around on a number of things...my Superman DVDs use it, and I recently saw an HP Lovecraft book in the supermarket with one.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read Forever Evil #1 and thought it was pretty good. The Finch art was great, love the Crime Syndicate and how they're being used in this story. Nightwing's identity being revealed was kind of a meh moment for me, but i guess it will be interesting to see how it will affect the story as we progress along. Loved the last two pages with Lex staring in awe and horror at Ultraman and wondering where Superman is.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does Ultraman have an Ultracokenail?

Can you imagine him cutting his gear into lines and then snorting it up with a rolled up original draft of the bill of rights?

5. Admiral_Young

So New 52 Cyborg Superman is
    Zor-El
    and New 52 Bizarro is some poor kid spliced with Kryptonian DC? Oh dear.

6. Guy Gardener

We found that out in Supergirl last month after he "killed" her.

7. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. Guy Gardener

This happened in Authority 10 years ago to Mark Millar.

A new editor walked in and said "Get one of those homos a girlfriend or you can fuck off."

Surely it should all depend on what US State Gotham is in, and what the State Laws are.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats complete BS. I've really enjoyed batwoman, so of course DC screws it up. Also, it sucks that DC wouldn't let them show Kate/Maggie marry. I mean, Marvel let Astonishing X-Men have a whole issue about Northstar marrying his fiance. I guess you could argue that Dc just plain hates marriage now (with how many they've broken up) but this seems like a stupid move made just to avoid pissing off the anti-gay marriage crowd, a group which Marvel apparently (and rightly) doesn't seem to care about (atleast from what I've seen). Well, if they're out at issue 26 I'll probably stop reading it too. If theDC doesn't cancel the book they'll probably just put a crappy writer who is completely under DC management's thumb on the book, and I have no desire to read that.

10. OdoWanKenobi

^So, the real reason Lobdell is off Superman? :devil:

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

See, this is the kind of shit that keeps me from caring overly much about DC these days. I may or may not buy a book because of who is writing it, but I couldn't give a flying f**k about the editor. Let the writers write!! I understand the role an editor can and should play in the crafting of a story, but ultimately, if they don't let the writers write the stories that they want to write, the final product is going to suffer.

I think that Dark Horse's Scott Allie hits the nail right on the head here.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Just read Forever Evil.

Oh, noes, everyone knows Dick Grayson is Nightwing! Oh. How... DARING!
    Snore. Is it really THAT big of a deal? They did it with Spiderman. Iron Man did it in the movies. Both years ago. In that context, that big surprise was not really all that interesting.

Maybe they should've paralyzed him and made him the new Oracle... lol

13. Guy Gardener

I always forget that Superwoman is Lois lane.

Justice league America/Deadshot was pretty good. Floyd's origin and the evolution of Amanda Waller from pimp to John

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lobdell and Tom DeFalco are tag teaming the writing with Rob Leifeld taking over on pencils.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting it kinda confirms why it happened with Flash and Superman. Guess no one cares about Aquaman.

That was in the last issue of Supergirl.

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked up several Villains books and Forever Evil #1.

I liked Forever Evil quite a bit. Of the other books I got (Darkseid, Poison Ivy, Two-Face, The Joker, Count Vertigo, and Relic), I've read most of them. Of those I've read, I think overall it's a mixed bag.

I'm still looking forward to Black Manta, but I don't know how many more Villains books I'll pick up. I do think I'll continue reading Forever Evil.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And now for today's episode of that the hell are the people at DC thinking.....

I'm seriously starting to lose interest in reading DC's stuff. I can't even wrap my mind around the decisions they seem to be making lately.

Even if the whole Batwoman thing wasn't brought about by homophobia and not wanting to piss off the anti-gay people they had to realize it was going to look that way, and that it would make them look bad in a lot of people's eyes.
    And now this, I just can't even wrap my mind around how someone could have possibly thought this was a good idea.

[​IMG]

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

When is Leifeld taking over--or more specifically, when will Lois start being drawn in a way that I cannot read the comic around my wife without being embarrassed?

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Liefield is a embarrassment to read in front of any human.

20. OdoWanKenobi

You know the funny thing? We all mocked Liefeld when he had his rather dramatic break from DC. Now we realize he was right.