Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would consider adding things like curved surfaces to be against the spirit of the game.

Adding dynamic shadows and the like? I think that simply enhances the experience, rather than changing it fundamentally.

But yeah, it's incredibly tough on your hardware to run that shader mod. My framerate drops from close to 200 to about 40 with it, as I mentioned.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well done man, they look great.

And welcome aboard.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

About the most I'm willing to enhance Minecraft's graphics is to install 32x32 textures. I think the game looks a bit silly when you have all these blocks and low-poly mobs and then super high-res textures and fancy shaders. :lol: Just doesn't seem to go together, you know?

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quite like the idea of dynamic shadows, it always seemed silly that my mineshaft has a beam of light reaching all the way to the bottom all day long. But considering the performance issues with that mod I don't think my PC would be able to handle it, and I doubt that it will ever be added to the vanilla game. :(

Those ships really are incredible, I spent a good few hours getting lost in them. Good work. :techman: Now do the Akira class. :p

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I wonder how many people have been tempted to load the front of that thing up with TNT and try to recreate that scene from STIII...

6. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

According to the Minecraft Wiki, it looks like the iron golems toss the player up into the sky. It's nice to see melee mobs that attack in a fashion other than just running in to you until you die! :lol:

All the graphic mods do seem to be against the spirit of Minecraft, and besides, I think it looks fine on default. I couldn't stand playing with one on because I'd have to re-memorize what all the block types looked like though.

7. Robert Maxwell

That's why I use DokuCraft. Most blocks look close enough to the originals that it's obvious what they are. The few that don't (like smooth stone) look good enough that it's worth the change.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

To each his own, I guess as long as you have the computer power to spare ;)

9. Atrocities

Atrocities Ensign Newbie

Thank you. Hope you enjoy the builds. They are based upon the Strategic Design Deck plans for each ship. I am working on a new version of the Constitution class using the blue prints from the official Enterprise A Deck Plans.

I was a member of TrekBB when it first was launched a very very long time ago. It has moved a few time since then and I sort of moved on at some point. Most likely during my Space Empires IV days. The Star Trek Mod for that game was one of my passions and I made a lot of ship sets for that game. Now I just enjoy making large ships that can be explored in Minecraft.

10. Atrocities

Atrocities Ensign Newbie

There are a lot of tip from using Opti-Fine Mod to setting up Java to use more memory that help weaker machines run the game better.

11. TheGodBen

That would be good, that ship was very easy to get lost in due too its size and the fact that most of the rooms were empty and unlabelled. Some doors and signs would make it much easier to navigate. I went looking for a 1:1 Constitution class after seeing the Yogscast video of that smaller one, but there didn't seem to be any around back then. I'm glad someone has taken on the task.

Over the last few days I've been playing Vechs' Kaizo Caverns map and it's making me seriously paranoid. There are pressure plates everywhere. :scream: Most of them don't do anything but about 5% of them set off traps, from simple land mines to devious contraption that cause creepers to fall on your head. The other day I was innocently mining coal when the whole wall blew up in front of my face. Vechs is evil.

12. Cutter John

13. Itisnotlogical

The Iron Golem is a violent murderbeast. So far, the one I've spawned has managed to kill 6 zombie pigmen, two blazes, and a large number of silverfish.

14. TheGodBen

Wow, the Bukkit guys sure are lucky, they only joined the staff on Tuesday and now they've been given over a $100,000! :lol:

I'm holding off on updating to 1.2 until I'm finished Kaizo Caverns, the last thing I want is a mob of zombies surrounding me with their superior pathfinding. I do really want to build a jungle base though, and I think I'll upgrade my mob trap with the glowstone lanterns so I can turn it on and off.

15. Cutter John

Awww yeah. I finally found a Netherfortress in my SPS game! Stocked up on plenty of blaze rods and netherwort. Potion brewing here I come!

16. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

A number of players/youtubers recently came up with the idea for an Ultra Hardcore mod, where having a full hunger bar no longer heals you. It doesn't revert back to the old system of food healing either. Instead, the only things that will restore hearts are Golden Apples and Health Potions, both of which are also harder to obtain, replacing gold nuggets with bars.

The four players are filming their smp exploits with this mod and putting up their perspectives for people to watch and it's pretty awesome. Knowing that until they can acquire apples and potions that they'll be stuck with every bit of damage they take, and that death is 'permanent', makes for nailbiting viewing.

Here's the first episode from one of the players, but you can find links to the other players' channels in the description if you want to see their perspectives of things. You can also find a link to the mod there.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  17. Itisnotlogical

Seems like it'd be even harder on SMP, what with the iffy hit-detection.

18. TheGodBen

Anyone ever encounter a glitch like this before? I just upgraded my mob trap with redstone lamps and while working on it I poked several holes in the ceiling to let sunlight in and keep mobs from spawning. Once the upgrade was complete I filled in the holes, but sunlight still appears to be getting in at certain points.

Here's the chamber with the lights on:
    [​IMG]

And here it is with the lights off:

[​IMG]

It's not just a graphical issue either, mobs wont spawn where the light is shining in and it's seriously impacting the efficiency of my mob trap. :(

19. Robert Maxwell

I heard they made some changes to the lighting system again, so it could be a bug caused by that.

(I haven't played around with it enough to experience this myself.)

20. Cutter John

I've seen a few odd lighting glitches while caving, but I've never payed close attention.

Have you completely filled in the holes?
    Maybe lay down, then remove some torches to try to shake the bit of stuck lighting code loose?