Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JGskBzMWIQ[/yt]

Behind the scenes from StarTrek.com

2. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

There bound to be errors in the models which there shouldn't b and like they say they got blueprints of the ships and shouldn't be any mistakes in the official starships collection.

3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I got my Solar Sailer and Dauntless yesterday, and was surprised at how huge the former was, as I had been operating under the assumption that the fortnightly release versions all had to fit into the same sized box. Wondered why they didn't do the same for Excelsior.

4. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now I'm wondering if "too small for much detail" will be an issue at all anymore in this line? Will the E-B be small like the Excelsior was or will it be a new, larger mold?

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

About the size of the Solar Sailer, I imagine it's because the SS is thin and weighs nothing as its 95% plastic. That allowed the ship to be bigger at the same cost level. The Excelsior on the other hand has a heft to it, so thats why its the size it is, thanks to having a larger metal content.

That being said, I don't think the Excelsior is THAT small. It's just the way it's designed. I can't imagine the Enterprise-B would be any bigger because it really doesn't "need" it. I mean, did anyone grab the F-Toys Excelsior? That thing is TINY. Sure, the Futura Ent-B was bigger, but its still only roughly the same size as the EM Excelsior.

6. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Got the email notification today, status: out for delivery! :D

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Today saw the arrival of four more ships, acquired from Ebay.

Voyager has the same scale as the Furuta model but is longer. It reminds me of the comparison between the basic Intrepid class and Mark Rademaker's slipstream drive refit. The EM wins in detail and overall look but, as has been noted elsewhere, the ventral saucer section lacks in detail.

I applied glue to the connector between main hull and saucer section of Defiant because it felt wonky. Excellent model, even with the mirror universe arrowhead. :rommie:

The D'deridex is something I've been waiting for, for ages, a medium sized Romulan warbird. I do have the AMT model, which is descent but too large to handle comfortably in one hand. I can't wait for the other Romulan ships in the series.

Last but not least, the Stargazer model succeeds in magically turning one of the ugliest ST designs into eye candy. While the trimmed saucer may be insufficiently accurate to the source, it is a definite improvement visually. Good thing I didn't skip that model! :drool:

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I managed to pick my copy up of the Enterprise E yesterday and it is a very pretty ship! Right next top the D, it looks tiny though.

9. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Which is how it actually is. :P

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Got my Dauntless and Bajoran Solar Sailor. Shouldn't it be "sailer", BTW? A "sailor" is someone who serves as a member of the crew on a sea-going vessel. Must be a Brit spelling...can't explain it otherwise... These things continue to impress. For a "fake" Fed starship, the Dauntless looks great and fits right in with the rest of them. Even though I generally dislike the newer "arrowhead" designs the Feds came out with in the mid-24th, it still looks nice for what it is.

And as for it being a "fake" Fed ship, the accompanying magazine does mention a passing appearance of another vessel resembling the Dauntless during the battle in Enterprise's "Azati Prime" (forgot about that one). So it could be argued that Starfleet eventually did find value in the design and probably began using the quantum slipstream tech by the time the Enterprise-J came around.

The Solar Sailor (Sailer) is large and beautiful, but extremely fragile-looking. I received it without damage, but kept it in its box for fear that its tiny splines may snap if I removed or replaced it, especially since others here have complained of such damage occurring in shipping.

Looking forward to the Stargazer next month. Not too concerned about its relative thinness in the main hull. Like others have mused, I think it actually looks better that way, and less bulky. So glad I got in on the ground floor with this subscription. I know it's a bit more pricey than most, but I've never experienced buyer's remorse with it, even with the first shoddy refit model, as I knew they would get better.

11. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which is just part of the design of the ship, for better or worse.

I think this one would have been a good candidate for an DIY issue, where it comes disassembled and you snap the sails into place on the main body. Mine came with one of the sails detached, but it easily snapped back into place, thankfully.

12. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

That is something I was thinking about when I looked at the models,dont think I will bother about getting that model.

13. dudley

dudley Commodore Commodore

The port pylon on my U.S.S. Equinox was glued incorrectly (wasn't pushed into the socket in the secondary hull all the way), and thus the nacelle sits much lower than it should.

Any suggestions on the kind of glue I ought to use to attempt the repair?

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

You have to be VERY Specific with this models. Only use Ethyl-2-Cyanocrylate or else they will spontaneously combust and burn your house down.

Or as its also known, Superglue works fine. :)

15. spacedock1

spacedock1 Ensign Red Shirt

very pleased with my enterprise-e.has loads of detailing :) :techman:Surprised to see that it is bigger than my konami 'e' :lol:

[​IMG]

Its a pity they wont be making a v'ger model though.collection feels a bit incomplete with out it :(
    But im pleased to have the enterprise-e at this scale and with that level of detail in my collection and a free mag too.it is a bargain.especially for a tenner :):techman:

16. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Looks great!

I hope they also release the Nemesis Refit version with the repositioned engine/pylons, blended Main Shuttlebay fairings and all the extra weapons...

17. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Scuttlebutt says it'll have kung-fu grip and "assimilate this!" action too...

I was hoping that the NEM appearance was going to be the E-E release originally.

18. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Drop some ink into a clear bowl of water?

19. spacedock1

spacedock1 Ensign Red Shirt

i don't think my ncc-1701 refit could cope with the dynamic forces of that fluidic environment . what would mr scott say? :lol:

No, i meant a micro scale version of v'ger/voyager 6 on that little island at the end of st: TMP like this

[​IMG]

or like the macro version below. robert wise wanted it in the directors cut of star trek :the motion picture .so i think its official :)
    [​IMG]
    i think its designed by steve burg

Anyway.it was only for completionist sake :) .right now with my enterprise and reliant models i get a' horatio hornblower' in space vibe about it. i like it :techman:
    But if i want the 2001 space odyessey feel of St:tmp i will just have to make my own:techman:

[​IMG]
    This is a nice model for less than a tenner:techman: whether you choose to interpret and theme your model display like in St:TMP with the ncc 1701 in her prime or as in ST: TWoK and onwards,with the ship in her twilight years, then it is up to the individual how they interpret and display their model. there is no cast iron rule how you do this :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Does it? How? Of the models I have, it is unfortunately the worst especially when next to Reliant or even Stargazer.