General Music Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JayOwl, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Adrian Vandenberg being sued by band-mates from the 80' over the name "Vandenberg".

Story

Didn't something like this happen to Don Dokken? Also, not one person would've ever heard of these other guys if they hadn't been in Adrian's band.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use Ableton Live, it really is superb. Everything is laid out so well, you can get the hang of it fairly easily. The thing I had the most trouble with was setting all the levels correctly to avoid any distortion, still not got that perfect.

I don't know anything about the interface, but it looks nice. I use an internal M-Audio soundcard with a breakout box for live recording, but I am thinking about going for something all external like that myself. Do you know if it has Phantom Power?

3. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

Good! I was recommended Ableton by my cousin, and he's used this a lot. He's an excellent singer and musician. I saw him using it and apparently you can spend hours trying to get the levels right. Honestly, I have no idea what Phantom Power is, but I do know that the sound that goes through it comes out crystal clear. :)

5. Pingfah

Phantom power is a power supply that comes from the amp or soundcard that powers mics which have active circuitry. Typically a stage mic like an SM58 for vocals won't have active circuitry so you don't need phantom power, but condensor mics like the AT2035 you are getting will usually require either a battery, or can draw power from a Phantom Power source.

I checked though, and your soundcard unit does have a Phantom Power supply, so you should be all set. It looks like a nice piece of kit actually, and quite a reasonable price too!

6. JayOwl

Thanks, I didn't know that. Good thing it does have Phantom then. ;)
    I'll order them in about 10 days because I'm away (still with internet mind you) for just over a week, so when I get back. It is a nice piece of kit, yes! I recorded a cover using all the same equipment that I'm going to get. The sound was really nice but I was off key because I couldn't hear myself with headphones. When I get it all and try again maybe I'll have one ear off. In a month this will be what fills my free time. :lol:

7. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnfub2GScC4&feature=related

This guy's work is really good IMO, wouldn't be bad as a SF chase scene soundtrack or so, nice buildup, layering, complexity and a great "feel" :mallory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqPYte8tvc
    Before I forget, not a synth guy but a guitar guy, quite fast this one plays.. oO

8. JayOwl

Damn, I typed out a post then it killed it. Anyway, I'll try putting the same things:

Within the first few seconds of Tune Of Soul, I was thinking "wow". I love this, it's a bit like Port Blue and that's great! I might buy that one actually. And yes, the guy on the second one is one of the best guitar players I've seen. Wow he can move those fingers fast.

One more thing:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HmzwI67ec[/yt]
    Adam is so Adorkable. :D

9. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Very nice. Eleven years old...I think I was still trying to learn a C chord on guitar at that age.

I was a big Clifford Brown fan years ago. I got into some of his albums with Max Roach. Two supremely talented guys. Still makes me sad to think about Clifford sometimes, but then I could say that about so many of the old time jazz greats.

Good luck to your young student.

10. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Just saw this thread and tried this tonight...mostly because I was curious as to how someone whose favorite band is Queen ended up with a Grunger stereotype. :lol:

Unsurprisingly, I was also labeled a True Grunger...although in my case, it happens to be pretty accurate. However, the bands that I typed in to get that label were:

Pearl Jam (duh!)
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Bruce Springsteen
    Alice in Chains
    Shinedown
    Dire Straits
    The Police
    Korn
    Alter Bridge

Kind of tried to put in a representative sample.

Two of these are decidedly grunge bands (Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains), but the presence of Springsteen, Dire Straits and The Police might just as well have suggested I was mainly a classic rock fan...and the rest might suggest I am more of a current hard rock/metal fan.

My verdict: it got it right in my case...but not really because of what I actually typed in the box.

Odd little exercise.

BTW, am sorry to hear that the Queen remastered vinyls did not come out well. Is that an opinion that is held by a lot of others who purchased them? It's really too bad - Queen deserves much more than that.....

11. Ar-Pharazon

^ I "listen like" Bella Swan, based on what I typed in: After Forever, Delain, Epica, Kamelot, Nightwish, Within Temptation.

Their "use your facebook music likes" doesn't work too well. It only used a few of the mainstream metal bands I have in there and dubbed me a "vengeance dad".

12. Pingfah

It is yes, the general opinion seems to be that the whole release was botched badly.

What is even more galling is that they apparently took the 1998 remasters they did for CD and just plonked them onto vinyl, in 2010. And then in 2011, they remastered all the albums again for a brand new CD release, which makes me wonder why they didn't wait and do a proper vinyl master at the same time.

Anyway, I have not bought the 2011 remasters because I am tired of them rereleasing the same stuff over and over again. I would rather they just did some new music, solo albums, whatever. Just something new instead of trading off their legacy.

BTW, did you get the Jeff Ament solo album yet? I am eyeing the vinyl in the PJ shop, I haven't even heard the album yet, but will be picking it up soon.

13. JayOwl

I've heard good things about Dire Straits. I'm planning to get an album or two by them soon. Could I have a couple of links for your favorites? I could look for them myself but I'm not sure where to start. I'm really starting to get into quite a bit of 70s and 80s music. I started with Fleetwood Mac (who I now consider one of my favorite bands), then The Eagles, Pink Floyd and to some extent Queen.

14. PKTrekGirl

I bought the CD, but not the vinyl. The album is reasonably good. I mean, it's not a Pearl Jam record...but it's new and pretty good. I have not decided yet if I will buy the vinyl. I did buy the Brad album on vinyl.

BTW, did you see PJ this summer in the UK? I heard the shows over there were great! Eddie is still over there, IIRC, doing some solo shows. I am seeing Pearl Jam in September - Music Midtown in Atlanta. It's a festival so it won't be a full blown for-the-fans PJ show...but they have just not been touring the US in recent years, so it's better than nothing. PJ headlines night one and Foo Fighters headlines night two...so that will be great!

15. PKTrekGirl

Dire Straits is awesome. And the first album you should probably buy is an easy choice, because it is the album that was a MAJOR smash in the early 80's: Brothers In Arms. It doesn't have all of their major hits on it...but it the strongest overall record - not a filler song on it.

Another possibility might be Money For Nothing, which is sort of a 'best of' compilation. Most of the hits are on there. That might be a good one if you don't know anything about them and just want to test them out. But I do like their albums - back in the 80's we did not have iTunes...and you bought an entire album. So albums are kind of the more authentic way of listening to this music - the way we did.

One very important thing to note about Dire Straits, however, is that they were an AWESOME live band. Mark Knopfler is considered to be one of the best guitarists around...and so the live jams at the end of songs are a not-to-be-missed experience. If you notice on YouTube, alot of their live music is 10+ minutes long. That's cus on songs such as Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road, they cut loose at the end just let it happen. Probably their best known live album is called Alchemy Live...this was a hugely popular double album and was made as a CD and as a DVD. Here is Sultans of Swing off that album:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY[/yt]

Here is Telegraph Road:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YxBH0ni8o[/yt]

The songs are long...so you have to have the time to just sit and let the music wash over you, listen to the story...and let Mark Knopfler amaze you. This isn't clubbing music. :lol: But this was an amazingly talented band - one of the key bands of the 80's (they started in the 70's...but the 80's was their peak) that all of us of a certain age respected...and still respect to this day.

Oh...and by the way, if you really want to see what the 80's in rock was like, you might consider purchasing the DVD set of Live Aid. Anyone who was alive on that day will tell you that Queen ruled the universe that day (they turned in the most amazing set that I am aware of any band ever turning in, EVER)...but Dire Straits easily took second place - they had an amazing set too.

16. PKTrekGirl

JayOwl...another thing about the early 80's is that we are a true MTV generation. When MTV first came on, it was fabulous..and alot of us spent hours and hours in front of MTV....staying up all night, partying with friends, and watching videos. Here is Dire Straits two most popular videos that I watched about 50,000 times each in the early 80's:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvQ-IJihrJM&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag[/yt]

Both of these songs, btw, are off of Brothers In Arms.

Here is the title song off of Brothers In Arms - sad song...but very beautiful....still gets me choked up when I listen to it. But this is definitely one of those songs where you have to just sit and let it wash over you and reach into your soul.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5JkHBC5lDs[/yt]

Okay! So all of this should give you a reasonable idea of what this band is about. Hope you enjoy!!! :)

17. JayOwl

Thanks! That's ok, I don't like clubbing music much at all. ;)

My Dad has loads of records and I know Dire Straits are amoung them, but I don't see him or his record collection much, and I can't get records onto mp3. I listen to most things via iTunes/ my iPod. As it turns out, I don't buy many single songs or much off iTunes at all, I buy CD albums to 1) keep the value rather than just having worthless mp3s, 2) To have a physical copy to play in the car and 3) It's usually cheaper anyway, and if it's new it's just the same price!

Listening to the first link, I have to agree, they are amazing live! The best ones are. I don't regonise any yet, but they'll probably grow on me. I've just ordered "Brothers In Arms"- £2.75 including packaging. I love Amazon. :lol: .

I'll listen to the studio version in a mintute, while they sound great live, the studio versions are obviously going to be cleared. Still, I like "Telegraph Road" most so far. :)
    I didn't get the MTV videos because they're 'not available in my country', but I searched it anyway, and "The Walk Of Life" has a really nice backing. I'm glad I got the album now. I should have it in a couple of weeks.

Thank you! I'm convinced. Once I have one album I can see how much I like it and go from there, but it's looking good so far. :D

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I loved several of Dire Straits's chart hits (and videos!) when I was a child, and I got their Very Best Of... CD some time ago. Later I got "Brothers In Arms" and I can see why it was the one CD that everyone had to own back in the day - even today it's still a fantastic listen.

Then I saw the film "Local Hero" for which Mark Knopfler composed the soundtrack. To date it's still one of my favourite movie soundtracks. The Live version of the "Wild Theme" is one of the best things I have ever heard.

19. Ar-Pharazon

On the subject of the 80's, you can't leave out Weird Al. Mark Knopfler insisted he play guitar on this one when asked for permission.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4SDhrTPOiI[/YT]

20. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was a time that MTV actually broadcasted music.. oh and Beavis and Butthead... hu hu hu yeah uh hu hu... :p

There has been good music in the 80's but also stuff beyond bad... and don't mention the hair and costumes of those days.. :wtf:

Oh and some series even had Tangerine Dream performing the intro music..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCItnKrXvMM :D