The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've wondered about that too. I hope this isn't a case of "we're making stuff as we go along and we'll decide the rules later" ala "Lost"

3. Horta Burger

Horta Burger Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't think that's the case. There is a great deal of attention being paid to character and theme development. That should see them through since there is no grand mystery to solve.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

We've seen no hard evidence that there are any Walkers who were not bitten, and we have seen dead people who did not turn...so until we see someone die and come back without any Walker influence, I reckon it's safe to say the "rules" are intact.

It would also seem that Walker blood isn't a huge factor, only bites. I know they were dubious (rightly so) of drinking water from that well, but they never seem too worried about blood spatter when dispatching Walkers. Daryl re-uses his arrows, so the one that went into him has almost definitely been in a Walker at some stage. A good wipe on the pants does the trick. ;)

5. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

Finally caught this weeks episode, I agree with much of whats been said.
    Sad, but fulfiling end to the Sophia search, and Shanes is clearly moving down a dark path.

I liked the hints at Daryl and Carol possibly getting closer, I think with the search ended as it has we could go two ways.

1) Carol loses it and Daryl gets much darker
    2) They turn to each other for comfort,

I hope it goes the second route , Carol is quite a bit different from the comics and to be honest I much prefer this version, I want to see her develop, and Daryl rocks :)

Also, for some reason after that scene between Dale and Shane, I feel certain that Dale will be the one to kill Shane. I know contradicts what Dale said but I could even see a final conversation that goes something like this,

Dale holding a gun on Shane,
    Shane : You said you wouldn't sink to my level, but here you are, just like me in the end.

and Dale reply with something along the lines of
    Dale : I'm nothing like you, never will be *Bang*

I know I can't write dialog, but the idea being that Dale comes to the realisation that killing Shane is not at all like Shane killing Otis ( Assuming it is written in a way that makes Dale appear justified )

Anyway, will be eagerly anticipatiing the next episode!

-Kytee

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

With Shane training Carl to shoot, I still say it will be Carl to shoot Shane. I don't think they would have included that little tidbit for other then foreshadowing it.

7. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

some of you people really need to read the comics. this season they relied heavily on the comic book series. I won't say what but trust me you need to read it and then go back and watch the show.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nah, not me, I don't want spoilers (or even worse, thinking something is a spoiler and it never happens, or happens a different way, and my understanding of Continuity is all messed up - "Oh wait, no, that didn't happen on the show, that was from the comic, in the show "X" happened)

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Umm.....what killed those people? If everyone has a virus to become zombies upon death, these people obviously did not--yet they died sitting there.

Did a virus outright kill some; zombify others either immediately, upon their death, or upon their being bitten; and the few were immune (Jenner's secret)? If a bite is required, then how did the first zombie originate? If the virus caused zombify action directly, then all would likely be carriers, right?

10. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

That was pretty funny, but I still maintain my opinion that after the initial disappearance, in reality, not that much actual time was spent looking for her (at least on screen)... Once life transitioned on to the farm, other than Daryl's occassional jaunt and Shane's trip into zombie suburbia, Sophia's disappearance was only a minor plot point.

So for that reason, it didn't really bother me that it took this many episodes to "find" her.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I'll check out the comic after the series has wrapped.

12. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Actually this could work. The virus was airborne and spreading really, really fast pandemic-style. It immediately killed some of the people in the world with high fever and infection, zombified others and then it just mutated into what we are seeing now. If the virus was transmitted through bites all the way in the beginning... that really doesn't hold up.

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i really like this theory...and can imagine some attempt to create a worldwide instant radio signal (either to address to the nanobots, perhaps to have them come home; or the radio signal may have nothing to do with the nanobots). However, this signal has the adverse effect of activating the zombie plague and have it happen instantaneously everywhere, so that all the troops & police are all spread out, and can't coordinate effectively (as opposed to it starting 1 or 2 areas).

14. Morpheus 02

i understand that the comics are in volumes, and issues 1-6, which were 1st season , are out there. So you shouldn't get spoilers, though you might get speculation ideas. Haven't checked them out yet, myself, though.

15. Morpheus 02

What Hershel saw (and how it changed him)

His medical knowledge would also tell him that the dead don't just rise from the dead and eat living people. But there's the new reality, that science would have said was ridiculous.

Here's what i think Hershel saw, that ingrained in him.

Remember the Shane flashbacks where soldiers were killing people who weren't walkers yet, but were infected?

I bet what he saw were some viral videos where we saw soldiers who had gone off the deep end, and lost all of their sympathy and callously (perhaps with an evil glee) shot people who had the virus but still had moments of lucidity to let the viewing world, that at that moment, they were STILL human. Shooting them in the head at that point might have been "practical", but it was still inhuman in how they addressed those people.

I also remember Jim...they "should" have shot him in the had, but he was still human enough to say goodbye and let him be. That's probably how most of us would treat infected people, especially those we know.

AIDS was similar to the zombie plague in the beginning -- when you had the virus, it WAS a death sentence. But drugs were developed so that people like Magic Johnson could celebrate 20 years of living despite the death sentence.

How unrealistic would be for Hershel to have that same hope in mind?

Again, as others mentioned, he hadn't seen some of the realities of the Walkers before (i.e. shooting them and them NOT going down).

16. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

okay the comic series I think is up to issue #91 but there are #13 graphic novels which collect 6 issues each. and there is a prelude novel dealing with one of the biggest villians in the series.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: What Hershel saw (and how it changed him)

Just watched 2.7, great ep but....

Why the hell did they put "Madison Lintz" on the guest starring bit at the start??? Great way to totally ruin the surprise by knowing that at some point she was gonna be in this episode.
    (Yes I am such a nerd that I read the titles, and for some reason know that actress' name)

As for the 'zombie virus,' I've always felt Ken Foree's theory explains it best-
    Here and here

18. Morpheus 02

Was it really a spoiler? Considering it was advertised as a mid-season finale, we were expecting her in some way. but it's how she appeared that was a "pleasant" surprise.

here's a youtube clip that's mini-documentary of that scene

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That was a dumb decision. They should have let Daryl shoot him in the head. After Jim turns into a walker, he will become a danger to anyone that comes near him on that road.

20. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

At this point, there are no "spoilers." Even if you read the comic and something happens there, there's a decent chance that it's not going to happen that way in the comic. Even if events happen similarly, it's not going to be a spoiler in the way that you know it's going to happen and when.