Star Trek : Online is happening OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Darren2001, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cryptic are very much also solo friendly in their games. I don't know why you're having problems but CoH/CoV are extremely solo friendly MMOs.

2. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

from my personal experience with CoH and CoV, they are not solo friendly. i played from lauch of CoH up until about 6 months ago.

now, it could be i chose a build that wasnt condusive to solo play (an Emp/Elec defender), but it wasnt easy to take on a single npc my level. sure i could drain their endurance and watch as they try to punch me to death, but i certainly wasnt doing much better taking him down. and that is just one guy... odds are you are fighting several npcs at once (lord help me if i managed to have to fight a Lt. also). it was slow going.

the game works when you have a full group. the xp is better and the fights are much quicker and more entertaining. but many builds don't function well on their own.

3. Captain_Amasov

Almost all classes are designed to be able to work on their own by design of the devs, some will level slower than others however even with my Storm/Elec Defender I could take on at least three NPC's at once. What difficulty setting were you on?

4. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

As I recall, defenders were/are mainly a support class, with powers geared toward buffing allies and debuffing enemies.

I played a scrapper and didn't have problems soloing. It was easier with a group, sure, but I never felt like I needed one.

Oh, right. On topic.

Almost everything from that webcast was what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully Cryptic will make it happen.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to spend a couple dozen hours building up a powerhouse Federation starship, like a Defiant or something, just to flip Starfleet the bird and defect to the Romulans, then come back firing on your former factionmates with your ship painted green and a bird of prey decal on the hull? I'm getting shivers just thinking about it! :D

...I do have to wonder, though. Will Klingon/Romulan cloaking devices unbalance the game?

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well the game is post Dominion War at the start of the 25th century (IRC). So, they could justify having cloaks as a purchasable upgrade for Federation starships-- if they wanted to.

As for defecting to the Romulans: Shame on you. The way to do it is defect to you own side and become a warlord of your on little corner of the server <eg> Continually pillaging and raiding other ships while flying Federation colors.

8. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sounds great. Unlike when Perpetual had the license, I actually think Cryptic has a great chance at making Star Trek Online work.

9. bradacus

bradacus Ensign Red Shirt

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Captain_Amasov

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The first trailer is up and wow this looks great. I downloaded it from Fileplanet but am sure you can find it around the net.

13. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I'm getting really excited about this. But apparently this is still a good 2-3 years away. :wtf:

14. Captain_Amasov

Actually the guy from Reverb Communications, the company that handles the marketing and public relations said late 2009. Not sure how "official" that is but Jack did say that if he announced the game would ship in two or less years people would balk at it.

Still it would mean that by the end of 2009 the game with Cryptic would have been in development for nearly two years.

15. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

If you sign up for that sweepstakes to win a lifetime subscription, and read the rules, it says the product is estimated to be released a year from now. Of course, there's no telling for sure when it comes to produces games like this.

16. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's best to add 6 months to a year to MMO release dates, they usually get delayed. :techman:

17. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

watching the intro Q&A it made it sound like it was pretty far along. Statesman's claim of under 3 years seemed like he was pushing it out already. and if they are using a lot of their underlying tech, it shouldnt be too bad.

18. Captain_Amasov

Of course :D You never know what might snag you down the line, I think that is why there is no official statement about it at this time.

19. Darren2001

Darren2001 Captain Captain

I reckon Fall 2009 will see the release.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

It's possible without any hiccups that the game could be released right at the end of 2009.....but 2010 is looking about right for release assuming the odd hitch here and there, I certainly don't think they would want to delay it any longer then that.

Now the game getting released in time with the new movie would be great if they could do it.