Starfleet Academy Series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bbjeg, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

A lot of great idea's in this thread, namely how LobsterAfternoon's depiction of how Harry Potter was about him going to school, but it wasn't at the same time.

There are vicious threats about, the reminiscences of the Dominion (especially the Jem'Hadar who don't have ketracel-white), the Borg (who would probably just fix that hub that Janeway broke), even the Hirogen, with their accent technology, find a way to make it to earth, and with the fleet spread out and undermanned from the Dominion war, the students could do a Star Trek 09's 'cadets answering a distress call'. A nice two-parter episode there.

There is so much they can work with. a Bajoran student heads home for the weekend and a Cardassian renegade squad attacks, to a student or two volunteering to terraform a planet for the summer (one part of a multi-plot story). Cycling in (and washing out) students would be easy, but after the 5th year you could have a student intern on a ship and run into a graduated classmate, which who make the show stay essentially about Starfleet Acadamy.

I liked O'brien. He's really the only family man in the series, at least the only one successful at it and IMO I think he's pulled more tricks out of his hat then Geordi, he just doesn't have his eyes. I think DS9's problem was a slow start and losing viewers before the Dominion war picked up.

At the bottom of the first post in the other thread, I noted I meant to drop that in the general trek board, and that Modders could remove that one if cross threads are not alowed. At this point they should merge threads if that's doable, Sran makes some great pointers and ideas.
    ^http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216214

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it had something to do with being a a space station that doesn't move versus a starship.

I mean it is kind of telling that the first big change they made was giving the DS9 crew a starship.

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Really, how much "diverse alien culture" can be depicted in San Francisco? I don't buy it. Are you suggesting there is a "Little Andoria" near the "Vulcan Compound" and around the corner from "Tellaritetown" that the various cadets can visit for a taste of home?

Sure, but why would anyone want to watch it?

Sure they will. Color me skeptical.

Some of the ideas are good, but they're all basically saying that the "cadets" will be off doing things that trained officers usually do. So why have the characters be cadets? If you want a taste of the Academy in the show, just have the ensigns and junior lieutenants go back to the Academy for graduate-level courses occasionally.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Harry Potter didn't even bother abiding by its own world-building. If Voldy supporters were as few and rare as the first six books would have had us think, why wasn't there a wizarding civil war when he invaded the Ministry? And why didn't an international coalition of wizards swoop in to help take him down? It'd be like a revived Hitler taking over Berlin today. Even if contemporary Germans simply let that happen (a pretty offensive notion), one would think the rest of the world would have something to say about it. But Rowling's insistence on keeping her Chosen One at the center of everything required tossing any kind of coherent world-building out the Astronomy Tower window. That's not what Trek is about.

There was a similar dynamic in Smallville, but at least there it made in-universe sense, in that Clark was far more unique by his town's standards than Harry and Co. ever were.

No, there'll never be an Academy series, ever. Too high budgets for too little action with too little conflict. There's always the YA paperback books, though...

5. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An Academy series could be good in that at least it would be different, away from the starship setting. By the third or fourth year you could graduate some of the older characters and increasingly transition to the series being about low-ranking officers on ships.
    However, I wouldn't want it in Abrams' universe, where (only seen ST09 so far) Starfleet appears pretty unprofessional and the late 24th century prime setting (if it still exists) could be too remote for the average viewer.

Assuming Enterprise would run seven years hurt it.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Why not? The president of Earth, Jaresh-Inyo, is an alien, and so was his predecessor. Obama put a basketball court in the White house, Jaresh-Inyo could install a Grazerite park nearby.

7. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Was there a purpose to being this smug other than to antagonize a large chunk of this message board?

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Might want to change 'large chunk' to 'very small chunk'. :guffaw:

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

This thread is aiming more toward Prime Trek. They could always jump ahead 70 years, like they did before after the first Kirk.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

My preference would be the middle 23rd century, several years before TOS. During this time period the Federation would have been quite a bit smaller than in later years and it would be possible for the cadets on their summer cruise to reasonable reach "The Frontier" from Earth during the limit time they would be aboard a ship.

It occurs to me that this would be during the time Lt. Kirk would have been an instructor at the academy, and this could be the tie in to the previous series. But I wouldn't want Lt. Kirk to be a main character, a reoccurring one perhaps.

The "diverse alien cultures" would be the academy itself.

:)

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Actually, I would consider the Academy a monoculture. Sure, they're all aliens, but they're all Starfleet first and foremost.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

:lol:

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That playing loose with ranks and roles in the Abrams' movies would give an academy series some much-needed variety IMO, especially when on training missions gone wrong (which would no doubt be more frequent than holodeck breakdowns in 24th century Treks!)

14. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Said purpose is to clarify that Star Trek as most people knew it isn't going to come back (most likely) and for people to stop pining for the past.

15. The Emissary

The Emissary Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This idea seems to come back over and over. I personally find this idea to be bad, while simultaneously intriguing. I'm a huge DS9 fan and I'll be the first to be pro-Star Trek show NOT on the Enterprise.

In fact, I'd love to see what life on Earth is like. What do civilians do? Can we see ship construction? What do young people do for fun? What are the politics like? IS THERE MONEY OR NOT!? :P

All that aside, this would not be a good show. Even as an alternative to the usual ship exploring worlds idea.

What would be the point? I mean, sure you can great tons of fun cameos, but outside of that? A high-school drama? Star Trek: Zephram Cochrane High? What real drama could you get out of it? Earth would have to be under constant threat and that is both boring and just hard to pull off. And would we really want to see Earth being saved by a bunch of Wesley Crushers?

You could pull a Nog and have cadets stationed on a ship or station for field experience, but that defeats the purpose of it being at the Academy.

If you argue that it isn't about fighting, but about the beginnings of Starfleet Officers and their trials and tribulations... Um....sounds boring to be blunt. It reminds me of Patton Oswalt's stand up on the Prequel Trilogy. About how Lucas wanted to show the beginnings of Anakin, Boba Fett, the Death Star. No one cares about that (at the risk of sounding arrogant). I can't even fathom what plots you could get out of that...

There would be no alien of the week. No exploration. Very little space travel. So no traditional plots (which I'm not against changing up) but I saw some people write that it was doable. No it isn't. Not with a plot like this. Unless you did a show on Red Squad or something. An elite group of cadets...but how far could that go? It was cool in DS9 cause they were cut off from the UFP and on their own. If it's set at the Academy...it's just them dealing with pimples and prom.

A plot like this might work if it was spread out from various POVs. Like ONE plot line being an aspiring cadet going through the rigors of Starfleet Academy, another plot line is a civilian ship builder, another plot line is the Vice President of the UFP, another plot line is a S31 agent, another plot line is the commanding admiral at Earth Space Dock. Something that shows life in GENERAL on Earth or in the UFP. Call it Star Trek: Federation or something. But purely cadets studying? I'm honestly curious as to what plots you could get out of this idea.

This idea may have been good for a novel with a young Kirk and a young Spock at the Academy, but for an entire show?

Why...why...why? Where is this mindset coming from? I hate to bring up Star Wars again but Lucas said the same stuff about his precious prequel trilogy. It's why he made Anakin so young. So kids can "relate" to him better. BULL. Many kids related to a much older Luke or Han or Leia. Why do I need people to be my age to "relate" to them?

That will just attract all the wrong people. If you need to have a teen going through angst of youth, then Trek isn't for you. It'll attract the teeny bopper crowd who would want to see scintillating dialogue such as:

"O-M-G! The Bolian quarterback asked me out today! I wonder if I should wear blue eyeshadow to match or will he think I'm putting on blueface? Oh culture clash!"

"I totally cheated off the Vulcan chick on the exam today. Guaranteed A+!"

"I got my ass kicked today by some bullies. Thankfully, Earth is a moneyless society so they didn't steal my lunch money. Unfortunately, they just stole my replicator rations. Jerks."

16. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Since I'm not a writer, a director, or a producer, I will leave the ideas up to the people with those skills like Ronald D. Moore. Put him in charge of Trek TV, see what he comes up with, and watch with awe. Oh, include Bear McCreary for the series' theme and music. Have J. Frakes and L. Burton direct regularly as they get Trek.

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Hey buddy, ever heard of this:

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

There's also this concept that somebody else at Trek BBS had suggested a while back:

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy-TAS

Now, are you just going to sit back and say that there's no way a Starfleet Academy show could be made? :rolleyes:

Star Trek still needs new blood as fans, and the new blood will most likely only be attracted to stories that relate to them as young people-and a Starfleet Academy show would be the only way to do it that I can see-as much as I hate to admit it, the Abramsverse won't always be around, and something has to take it's place. Why not a TV show about Starfleet Academy?

18. The Emissary

The Emissary Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No, I haven't heart of that "buddy". I know my posts on these forums fall under too long;didn't read, but I addressed everything you just used to "counter". That the only way an Academy series could really work is if it is about Red Squad or some elite cadet squad. And I also said an idea like this works better in literature than a show.

Not to mention, those episode ideas take place mostly OFF of Starfleet Academy.

I didn't say it couldn't be made. I don't put anything past the garbage known as networks to put anything out. No matter how mediocre.

I already addressed the idea of young people only being able to relate to other young people...

19. CrazyMinh

CrazyMinh Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

OH GOD IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!!

CBS has announced 4 new Trek series after STD. One is a Starfleet Academy series. I can feel the melodrama from here, and it hasn't even been properly revealed yet in full detail...

WHY?????

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Exactly my feeling about bumping a five-year-dormant thread.
    itsdeadjim4.jpg
    The new series proposals are an active topic of conversation in Future of Trek.

1001001 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.